“Brilliant!”

Woodlands Hotel Leeds
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Gildersome
Reviewed 27 October 2012

Following a wonderful celebration at the Woodlands for my 60th in June (see my earlier review ), I enquired about using it as a working residential for the voluntary organisation I am involved with. As we are a non-funded organisation, we have to do things 'on the cheap',so I really expected the Woodlands to be way out of our league - however, as we agreed to hold it mid-week, Lauren came up with a fantastic deal. There were 6 of us - we all had great rooms (2 which were changed without any problem at all) - 2 of us even had rooms with a terrace which was great as the weather was lovely whilst we were there. As we are a voluntary group Lauren gave us the use of a conference room (which turned out to be the Penthouse -perfect for a small group) for free & gave us a very generous DB&B rate.
The food was lovely,the rooms great, but the best thing was the staff - everybody smiles,can't do enough for you & seems happy in their work (a rare thing in my experience). I can't thank Lauren enough & we will definitely use the hotel again in the future, we have held these working residentials in several local hotels, but nobody has ever recognised our charitable status before - charging us the same as a wealthy company. Not only was the Woodlands the most reasonable, it was undoubtedly the best. Thank you.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business

Reviewed 26 October 2012

Woodlands is the perfect venue for your wedding and ours was amazing in every way on the 15th September 2012. All of the staff are courteous and will do anything for you. The venue itself is perfect for a wedding, feels like your very own house party and being the only wedding there you feel very special.
Food was brilliant, especially the BBQ in the evening - a real hit with our guests who love their food!
The marquee looked stunning in the evening and we just didn't want our day to end.
All of the rooms in the hotel are of a great standard, especially the luxury ones - we didn't want to get out of our jacuzzi!
All round a beautiful hotel and perfect for any special occasion. Would recommend to anyone.

Room Tip: The Penthouse suite is truly special, but make sure you have enough time to enjoy it!
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 October 2012

I stayed here with 3 colleagues prior to attending a business meeting in the area. The hotel was all that it had promised to be, welcoming, smart and efficient. My room, Damask, could do with refreshing to be honest, the paintwork and carpet are a little tired. The flat-screen TV was rather too small for the room and the bathroom was.....odd.
Initially the bathroom has the appearance of being ultra-luxurious, however it soon became clear that the practicalities of using a bathroom had been overlooked when it was designed. Yes, two huge bathtubs are hugely luxurious but the wash hand baisin is behind the door, meaning that if one person was brushing their teeth and their partner walked in suddenly then there would be a risk of the 'tooth brusher' bashing their head on the mirror. Also, the toilet is very close to the door, strange. Although very large, one half of the bathroom is almost entirely blank, my guess is that the original intention was to install a walk in shower there.....this is much needed.
I could not join my colleagues for dinner but they reported that it was very good and that the Sea Bass was 'as good as they've ever eaten'
Breakfast was fine, and decent quality, though unremarkable, perhaps a little more focus on really high quality, local produce would help. Coffee was awful, really weak and cheap tasting.
Throughout the entire stay the service was excellent, staff were friendly and approachable the whole time.
This would make a great base for a trip to explore the area, which I will be doing soon, but could do with a little more attention to the small details that will help to raise it from a 'Very Good' to an 'Excellent'....it wouldn't take much.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank ormerodr
Reviewed 7 October 2012

I decided to book the Woodlands for a corporate away day over two days. I have to say that we were all looked after from the off set. The room for our meeting was excellent, the buffet lunch great and our evening meal was very good. I stayed in an executive room and it was very nice with a whirl pool bath. Great breakfast the following morning. Will go again on both business and personal stay.

Room Tip: Executive room on first floor garden facing.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 1 October 2012

We ate at the Woodlands on Saturday for our wedding anniversary, our sixth visit, I'm sad to say the quality of the food has slipped since we last came.
To be fair my dish of Seabass with Risotto was quite nice, my wife however had the Chicken Ceaser salad which was just a bowl of over dressed lettuce leaves. Not a very comprehensive menu as before!
I did start to get a little annoyed by the waitress who kept addressing us as 'guys' 'get you anything else guys, how's the food guys, you guys finished?
Think it's time to cross this one off the list.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 October 2012

I've been to the Woodlands for a meal, afternoon tea, Charity event, a business meeting and for a recent Pudsey & West Leeds Clandestine Cake Club event. One day I might even get the chance to stay... I hope so!
The hotel staff are helpful, polite and always smiling... nothing seems to be too much.
Arranging an event is very straightforward and again nothing is too much.
The location is just a few minutes from the motorway (M62 and M621) with easy access to both Leeds and Bradford city centres.
A lovely country house in very well manicured grounds.
A perfect wedding location and even when the weather isn't great the inside of the hotel is lovely with many period features and lovely comfy chairs. If the sun is shining it's lovely to just sit on the terrace and eat afternoon tea in the Yorkshire sunshine.
Highly recommend for every event/occasion.
If anything I think that the quality and standard of Woodlands Hotel is even higher than it was in the past and I have been going for business and pleasure events over the last four years.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank yorkshireangel2010
Reviewed 28 September 2012 via mobile

Stayed here and eaten here for a while now. Quality feel to it and great individual rooms, can't believe it in terms of location but so impressed! Great place for informal chats, great for meetings, great for lunches, great for drinks... Just a good all rounder!!!!!

• Stayed: September 2012
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gildersome
Leeds City Centre
Leeds City Centre
The Chambers Park Place
Malmaison Hotel
#15 of 87 in Leeds

Been to Woodlands Hotel Leeds? Share your experiences!