“Disappointing”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Gildersome
Guernsey channel,islands
“Disappointing”
Reviewed 1 July 2014

This was our third stay at the Woodlands and sadly whilst the service in the restaurant and the bar was up to standard there was no wifi and no working telephones in the rooms. We had booked at short notice and no mention of this had been made at the time despite this being known. We needed the wifi for work purposes and were forced to go to another hotel. Whilst the staff were apologetic every assurance that the wifi was no working proved to be incorrect and a promise for the manager to call and discuss the problems with us never materialised. All in all very disappointing stay which has left us with a lasting poor impression. My recommendation is to give the hotel a wide berth unless you have specific confirmation from them of the basics you require and even then treat any confirmations with healthy scepticism.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Darren S

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (95)
Cardiff
Reviewed 30 June 2014

This was our third visit to Woodlands over a period of 8 years and it did not disappoint. We stayed at the hotel midweek. The restaurant served the best hand cut chips we have ever had and the rest of the evening meal was very good. Breakfast was a full Yorkshire (other options ie for continental etc were available). We were upgraded to a deluxe double, room 6, a strangely shaped but well-spaced room. Bathroom was a bit small but it had a lovely whirlpool bath which worked perfectly. The bottom shower seal could have done with a good bleaching and scrub but everything else was clean. The bed was standard double with comfortable bedding and decent pillows. The room was very warm even with windows open but a fan was provided in the room. Our only issue was the intermittent wi-fi which did not reach to our room. This meant I could not do important work in the evening and had to do it down in reception where wi-fi signal was stronger. All in all, a good stay in a solid hotel with attentive staff. Thank you.

Room Tip: Email in advance to check suitability for you personal requirements.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
East Riding of Yorkshire
Reviewed 30 June 2014

Attended a wedding reception. Very nice quiet location, just out of the city with good road links.
Staff worked very hard to ensure that everything ran smoothly. I had the soup starter followed by the roast beef dinner, the food was freshly cooked and tasty, the portions were adequate but only because several hours later we would be attending the buffet at the same venue. As for the buffet it was on the hole fine. Some of my fellow guests commented that the drinks were a little bit on the expensive side. I have just one minor grumble, the evenings entertainment and buffet were held in the marquee, it was unusually cold for June, I was sat at a table near one of the fire exits with my back to the fire escape doors. The doors were left open so that the people that smoke could pop outside. After a while I felt distinctively chilly. Overall though a very enjoyable experience in very nice surroundings.

Room Tip: Book early, especially if you are attending a wedding reception. We tried to book rooms 6 months bef...
Reviewed 29 June 2014

This is the best hotel I have ever stayed in my room number 4 was absolutely fantastic, not only was my room enormous with the most comfortable bed but I also had a beautiful bathroom with the most powerful shower and also a jacuzzi bath. Then I found another room that was a separate dressing room, luxury. We stayed there as part of a large wedding group and the day was perfect made so by the friendly helpful staff. The food was so good and service was great. This hotel is the perfect venue for a wedding set in beautiful grounds, or the perfect place for a relaxing weekend of luxury .

Room Tip: Ask for room 4
Cumbria
Reviewed 24 June 2014

My daughter and new son in law recently got married here and it was a perfect venue .

It was a beautiful day and everything ran smoothly thanks to Lauren and Nigel. The staff were wonderful and very attentive.

The weather was warm and sunny so the guests were able to utilize the lovely garden and outdoor spaces too .

Our room was absolutely lovely ( Damask room 3 ) with tasteful decoration and an amazing bathroom......just beautiful.

The wedding meal was really good and breakfast the next morning was exceptionally good.

I can highly recommend this lovely hotel and would like to thank all the staff for making this a really special event .

Room Tip: Our room on the ground floor had an outside seating area, an added bonus.
Reviewed 23 June 2014

Me and my husband got married on 14th June 2014 and every guest that I've spoke to since has said it was the best wedding they've ever been to. The hotel has various different areas that our guests were able utilise but still small enough for it to feel intimate.

Lauren and Nigel we're fantastic at ensuring everything ran smoothly and thanks to them I was able to really enjoy the day instead of worrying about the order of things. I think I enjoyed it a bit too much, and made use of both bar areas, ha!

Everything I requested of the hotel was accommodated, whether this was playing beer pong or having the World Cup game on at 11pm for our guests. I can't recommend the woodlands and their staff enough! It was fantastic and I'm gutted that it's all over!!!!

All of the rooms were gorgeous, the breakfast was amazing, I want to do it all over again!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Louise M
Reviewed 15 June 2014

Had our son and daughter_in_laws wedding on 24,5,14, absolutely fabulous from start to finish
would highly recommend, the food was outstanding ,the staff were very helpful, the hotel was spotless, just what you need on such a special day.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gildersome
Leeds City Centre
5.0 of 5 bubbles 4,496 reviews
Quebecs
#8 of 87 in Leeds
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,060 reviews

Been to Woodlands Hotel Leeds? Share your experiences!