“Everything was wrong”

Village Hotel Leeds North
Ranked #3 of 9 Hotels in Headingley
Reviewed 15 August 2008

I'm afraid my one night here was a bit of a disaster.

It started to go wrong at reception where I was ignored for ages by two chatting receptionists. I arrived in my room to find the phone unplugged from the wall and grubby furniture. The free wireless internet code had been changed from the one I was originally provided but the reception staff didn't seem to know anything about it...

Room service didn't start until much later so I had to go to the basement coffee bar to get a cup of tea - sadly the chap working the bar was more interested in chatting up a female member of staff than he was in talking to me. In fact everything I tried to do in this hotel came apart at the seams.

Finally I have to say that breakfast was one of the most depressing experiences I have had in a long time. Cold eggs, burnt bacon and a do it yourself toastr that merely warmed your bread complemented the most undrinkable coffee I think I've ever had.

If this place billed itself as a modern Fawlty towers and not as a pseudo-respectable hotel I'd be a bit more understanding. It certainly did not live up to its billing and I felt sorry for the pensioners' coach tour that had to endure this place while I was there - I was there for work but this place was meant to be part of their holiday

In the end I had a long list of petty issues which added up into serious irritants. The room itself was basic

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled on business
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Write a ReviewReviews (2,893)

Reviewed 6 August 2008

The deal booked and agreed via the web suddenly became £40 more on checking out. There appears to be a problem with promotion codes so make sure you get everything in writing, ESPECIALLY THE PRICE before you set foot in the place. Arrogant staff just quote promotion codes and have a "Not Our Problem" attitude.

Total rip off in the end

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled with family
Reviewed 31 July 2008

On arrival the gentleman on Reception felt his phone call was more important than checking in a customer and eye contact during his call was to be avoided at all costs, as was any acknowledgement that he had kept me waiting quite some time.

Clearly a busy hotel with lots of comings and goings but we were in a quite corner and suffered no noise or other disturbances.

No time to use the leisure facilities so can't comment.

Breakfast was excellent - apart from the nasty, obviously very cheap sausages. As this was included in the price for a family of four, all of whom had seconds, I increased the rating due to the good value.

We also got lucky with the view - it was of some sort of commercial or industrial unit - but ihow amazing to open the curtains in the morning and see deer grazing on the grass!

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled with family
Reviewed 15 July 2008

I stayed at this hotel for a wedding, the cost of the room was over £80 and that was discounted due to being in the wedding party. It wasn't worth the money, this could be a nice hotel but several things really let the hotel down. The lady at the front desk (actually a duty manager) was quite rude and unhelpful, we were told there were no rooms available for the wedding party until 2pm although if we weren't part of the wedding and had just walked in off the street we could have had a room, she explained that because we were part of the wedding function we had been allocated 'noisy rooms' which really is unacceptable, why should we have a noisy room? After some discussion she said she could organise a room in 20 minutes, this is only because we stood and argued the point for 10 minutes, otherwise we wouldn't have been given a room until 2pm.

Later in the hotel bar I was served by an incredibly rude boy, who didn't believe I was staying at the hotel, until I showed him my door card, he was very rude and unpleasant and when I told him I didn't like his attitude he just walked away, I definately think the staff need training in customer service!

The food at the wedding was nice, although the wedding couple had complained and had to go back 3 times for taster meals until it was at an acceptable standard. The food for breakfast was very disappointing, scrambled eggs full of water, no beans, the bread and butter ran out, dirty glasses, unbearable heat in the room...

The room was ok in size but no air conditioning, the windows only opened about an inch and a half so the heat was ridiculous, the kettle was filthy with brown marks and grease on it, there were stains on the carpet and on chairs, there weren't any hot chocolates or biscuits on the tea trays (we were told by reception that they were all being taken out of rooms!) the bathroom wasn't spotless, they were marks on the toilet, mold down the side of the bath, no soap, only 1 hand towel and one bath towel for 2 people, broken handles etc (see my pics) Usually I would have asked to change rooms but I was busy at the wedding.

The organisation of the wedding was terrible, the wedding tables had side plates set to the right instead of the left, the wedding planner didn't seem organised (apparently a lot of them are off on long term sick). All in all I wouldn't recommend this hotel to anyone, the manngement need to get their acts together and sort out this hotel before it's too late.

• Stayed: July 2008
Reviewed 27 June 2008

To be honest I've stayed in better budet hotels!

The reception staff were all nice and efficient, but its the first time I've ever entered a hotel room to find the bed not made (duvet and pillows in corner of the room- something to do with new beds being delivered, although mine wasn't one of them!!).

Anyway, after the manager (I'm pretty sre he was anyway) had delivered bedding and made the bed for me, then changed my iron for something that wouldn't ruin the shirt I needed the next day i took a shower.

No soap or other toileteries (thankfully I'd taken my own, but a bar of soap would have been nice) and the towels weren't particulalry white and fluffy. The toilet bowl and lid were also pee stained (nice!)

Housekeeping need a serious kick...

Then down the 'Verve' restaurant, which is probably the worst hotel restaurant I've ever eaten in. It IS a total joke.

My garlic bread with mozzerella starter was wafer thin and hardly had any cheese on it at all. My main course fillet steak was fantatsic and probably the nicest thing i ate during my entire stay (and it shoudl be for £20!) and the banana topping to my cheesecake desert was like cardboard and very unpleasant. When I complained to the foreign waitress about the desert she just smiled, apologied and shrugged her shoulders! No deduction to the bill offered.

The espresso was awful, just like a regular coffee really, only a smaller portion!

The bar man who worked on the Verve bar doesn't seem to have been trained in the art of removing unwanted or dirty glasses from tables either.

Breakfast wasn't much better - not very exciting and most things floating in water.

Lunch (I was lecturing at a conference) comprised a carvery where the beef was very chewy and almost indigestible. The vegetables were all pretty 'nothing'.

In summary, the 'Verve' is awful and I would avoid eating there if you can. All the staff could use more training.

On the upside, the bed was comfortable and the room quiet so I did get a good nights sleep. Also, the shower was very nice, despite previous reports on dribbling showers.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled on business
Reviewed 29 May 2008

Overall we thought the hotel was very good. The lady at reception was extremely helpful when we booked in, as it had been booked for us by a friend.
The room was large and clean, bed comfy and a massive flat screen tv. The grounds are beautiful and overall the hotel looks great.
Right, now time for the poor bit - 8 of us went into the restaurant in the evening for a meal - as we went in there was a group of people complaining which didnt look good. Anyway to sum it up, they generally got most of the orders wrong - put the wrong sauces with the steaks, I got a quarter of the amount of fries that my friend got even though we ordered the same meal, brought out my wifes meal with the wrong accompniments and a long time after everyone elses. However, the worst part was that due to my wife getting her meal late she was still eating after everyone else had finished. That didnt stop the staff removing everyone's plate but her's though - so she was sat there still eating while everyone else didnt even have anything in front of them. I used to work in a restaurant and this was always one of the first rules of service - do not remove anything until everyone has finished! She was not amused - especially considering the reason she was the only one eating is beacause they had messed up her order in the first place! I also think it is a little pricey for what you receive.
I am definately not one for complaining, and if i was reading this I would probably think I was a typical whinging pratt that you read many times a day, but I really wasnt happy with the meal. On the plus side, the trio of chocolate truffels is absolutely divine!!!!!!!
Breakfast was very very good, especially the fried eggs. Sausages were disgusting.

Summing up - everything about this place is great, however I would eat out next time.

John

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled with friends
Reviewed 26 May 2008

We stayed here on may 23rd for 2 nights, after reading some of the reviews on here i was a bit nervous as we had 8 rooms booked for a special family birthday, 21 of us stayed here with ages ranging from 9 months to 82 years. I would like to say that this was the best weekend stay we have had, the food was excellent, rooms were clean and bright and staff couldn't do enough for us. I am well travelled and have stayed in loads of hotels and this is one of the best i have stayed in, i just can't understand the bad comments others have left i had a sleepless night the day before travelling because of them! please stay here and judge for yourself. also the pool and steam room were great the staff allowed my children to use the swim floats with no problems but we did ask first before taking them! children are allowed in the pool from 9am till 12 and then 2 pm till 7 pm. fantastic time was had by all. we will return

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
Also consider these accommodations in or near Headingley
Weetwood Hall Hotel
Leeds City Centre
Novotel Leeds Centre
Novotel Leeds Centre
#10 of 87 in Leeds

Been to Village Hotel Leeds North? Share your experiences!