“Vinny And Vito terrible service”

Village Hotel Leeds North
Ranked #4 of 9 Hotels in Headingley
Reviewed 27 February 2014

I sent this message to the hotel and despite receiving an acknowledgement over a week ago I've heard nothing since, so thought I'd post it here to warn others not to bother. 'Sorry but just needed to let you know about my poor experience in Vinny & Vito. I bought a living social voucher a while ago and decided to treat a friend last night. We booked for 8.15, were shown to a table which was fine. We ordered the 2 glasses of wine which came with the voucher. (one red, one white). We waited ages and eventually they turned up and were fine, although served the wrong way round. My friend chose a platter starter and that was self service and was fine and enjoyed, although I was given the plate, although I clearly stated I didn't want a starter. The mains were ok, although my skewer was served with a tiny bit of mash which was cold. I asked for another glass of white wine which came and was tinged pink. I mentioned it and the waitress said there must have been red wine in the measure! she offered to change it but i didnt want to make a fuss so tasted it and it was ok. I chose baked alaska for pudding which was terrible. (a soggy mess over solid ice cream). when the bill came it was £26!! They had actually added on the price of the voucher - £19. It was removed after querying it, but I'm afraid the whole experience was disappointing. I know it was reasonably cheap with the voucher, but would hate to think I'd paid the full price for the experience. I don't usually complain but felt you should be made aware.' The more I think back to this experience the worse I feel towards it.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank BEC22186411
Write a ReviewReviews (2,831)

Reviewed 23 February 2014

Arrived late after a horrible drive in stormy rain. Good professional reception (unlike Bewleys) nice selection of beer and food pleasant staff.
Lots of traffic getting in to Leeds City in the morning.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Stephen M
Reviewed 22 February 2014 via mobile

stayed for 1 night (midweek) hotel is clean, rooms are tired looking and fairly basic. plenty of parking.

breakfast is your standard self service fry up or cereal.

evening food is ok, nothing fancy and fills a hole.

hotel Is fine for overnight pit stop but wouldn't want to stay longer.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 22 February 2014

We stayed at the Village Leeds North as we were attending a uni reunion. On arrival the car parking spaces at the front of the hotel were all taken so we parked at the back which is less convenient but there were more than enough spaces there. Staff were friendly throughout and the room was absolutely fine - fairly basic but clean, well maintained and quiet. The only issue was that to get to our room you had to go down what seemed like a rabbit warren of corridors, up and down different levels which wasn't ideal. We only stayed one night so it was ok but it was a pain if you left something in the room. Breakfast buffet better than expected, not going to win a Michelin star but no complaints at all. Starbucks on site was an added bonus.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 19 February 2014

I stopped here with my boyfriend last weekend, after booking a trip to the Xscape for a Ski lesson. There is plenty of car parking spaces, which is a good thing as the hotel was very busy, so we parked around the back.

The lobby area looked nice, with a starbucks and little bar. However, the was abit of wait to be checked in, around 20 minutes so not too bad (had worse) and the guy was very friendly.

We stopped on the first floor, the room itself was clean, spacious with plenty of mirrors (always good for a girl) it seriously could have done with a new lick of paint, there was marks along all the walls and titles in the bathroom and light fittings were abit wonkey. Apart from this couldnt really complain.

The thing I really found strange is there was no information pack in the room, so nothing to confirm WIFI code, fire procedures, spa/bar opening hours, checkout and breakfast times. Also no toiletries, apart from a shower gel pump in the bath.

We headed to the spa around 6pm, towels are provided but robes are not. The pool was warm, nice and big and think we arrived at the right time as there were no children and could relax. Changing rooms are big with decent hairdryers and have lots of lockers, remember your £1 if you want to store your belonging.

After an ok night sleep, bed was a little to firm for myself, boyfriend didnt mind though! We headed down for breakfast a 9.30. The queue was out the door, after waiting about 15 minutes or so we were seated and told someone would be over to take our order for tea and coffee (which never happened). We were not shown or told where the breakfast was such a juice, toast or hot buffet like others were. However its not too big so you can find it for yourself. The breakfast itself was ok, yummy hash browns and you did have to wait a little while until the buffet options were refilled, but this was mainly down to people taking 3-4 eggs and sausages at a time.

We paid £89 for the night, so cant really grumble. Think if the rooms were just giving a little TLC it would improve the overall stay.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 February 2014

Went with our three children. No bedding for children,s bed when we arrived. Phoned reception who promised to deliver. No bedding when we got back after dinner. Phoned again. One hour later still no bedding . Phoned reception a third time and eventually a clearly exasperated receptionist arrived saying the housekeeper had lefft with 5 rooms needing bedding.
Restaurant terrible: main course took 1.5 hrs to arrive. No-one came to clear away plates. Children fell asleep so abandoned desert which was included in price. Hot chocolate never arrived. Food very bland - the flat bread had so little flavour that needed resorting to tomato ketchup to cheer it up.
Swimming pool/leisure facilities were good.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 12 February 2014

This hotel is much like a Premier Inn with a few features. It's bland, beige (literally), has no character and is completely forgettable. Reception staff are friendly and rooms are comfortable. Don't eat here! Worst food I have ever been served!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Finlaysathome
Also consider these accommodations in or near Headingley
Weetwood Hall Hotel
#33 of 87 in Leeds
Ibis Leeds Centre
#32 of 87 in Leeds
Holbeck
Doubletree by Hilton Hotel Leeds City Centre

Been to Village Hotel Leeds North? Share your experiences!