“Organised chaos for a business traveller”

Village Hotel Leeds North
Ranked #4 of 9 Hotels in Headingley
Reviewed 26 August 2014

I stayed here over 4nights and from finding a pile of crisps next to the bed on arriving plus someone else's stray hairs (on a 3pm check in maybe they were short staffed?!).... to not getting enough fresh towels for 2 people sharing a twin and no other pillow option just one that was on the bed. As the hotel looked so nice I ordered a very disappointing salad in the bar advertised as the healthy option it was raw veg with grey looking sliced chicken so grim looking that I couldn't eat it.The absolute biggest inconvenience was the breakfast quite simply organised chaos best describes it -day one was one person trying to seat people and take orders day 2 I went and asked reception to help out as it was that embarrassing...day 3 and 4 enough staff were buzzing around to make it work but it never did!!! I waited 20 minutes each day for freshly cooked eggs rather than have the buffet scrambled eggs....They have an abundance of space but have a small area for fruit and toast etc which constantly run out -all squashed into one corner next to the huge queue to be seated!!! They don't stock gluten free bread or veggie sausages as standard which is quite extraordinary considering I stay in cheaper premier inn's by choice but my client had booked this one thinking it would be better. The staff were very pleasant and very apologetic but at the end of the day its pitching itself as a premium hotel -and looks the part but it really needs to improve the service. The inhouse Starbucks was my saviour for convenience and speed of service!

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank dexter41
7931Linda, Guest Relations Manager at Village Hotel Leeds North, responded to this reviewResponded 27 August 2014

Dear Guest,

Thanks for your Review, we appreciate you taking the time to give us your feedback.
I was pleased to read you had positive comments re - Starbucks but sorry you felt that the bedroom standards of cleanliness were not up to scratch.

We will follow up your comments regarding breakfast & service with our restaurant manager & kitchen team, your feedback, regarding gluten free bread and veggie sausages will be addressed with the Head Chef . - thank you for bringing this to my attention.
You will be please to hear we have re-arranged the restaurant and moved the cereals & toast station near to the hot buffet section, giving the guest more room and making it easier to keep stocked up.

Thanks again, we appreciate you giving us a Review.

Best wishes,

There are newer reviews for Village Hotel Leeds North

Reviewed 25 August 2014

Booked 2 nights to visit family nearby, arrived early evening having booked a King room over a month in advance...no King room was available?! After a tense conversation we accepted an upgrade on the second night but this meant moving rooms. Not ideal. The double room on the first night was tired, very poor lighting, no air conditioning in the hotel, poor bathroom, in fact have stayed in better Travelodge's so this is the 'standard' that this hotel offers. On the second night we stayed in the upper deck room which was like a different hotel, very comfortable room but the noise from the corridor and the addition of duck down bedding (yes, might be comfy, but a lot of people are allergic to this and the only alternative offered were sheets which took 3 requests before appearing!) was a tad disappointing. The reception staff tried their best and we did get an apology card and bowl of fruit which was appreciated but whatever allocation policy they are being made to deal with needs sorting out before we stay again. We didn't have breakfast as even on a bank holiday this finished at 10.30 and there was no room service option so can't comment on this. I'm not often one to moan, but overall, not great.

Room Tip: If you have to stay here, pay that bit extra for an Upper Deck room...unless you're partial to a...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
7931Linda, Guest Relations Manager at Village Hotel Leeds North, responded to this reviewResponded 28 August 2014

Thank you for your valuable feedback following your recent stay.

I have noted your comments regarding your reservation king room; and this has now been further reviewed with our Reception Manager, I am please to hear the upgrade to a upperdeck room to be much more comfortable.

I hope that you will provide the Team the opportunity to provide you with a more favourable experience in the future.

Reviewed 24 August 2014

We stayed on 16th August for 2 night's, the hotel is really great I was very impressed and had a wonderful night's sleep. Our room on the second floor though having no view was nice. Unfortunately on our second night another hotel guest mistakenly used their key card in our room and actually walked in as the door opened. The staff came straight up but even after resetting it the door would not lock. We were upgraded as luckily there had been a cancellation. I would not advise paying the extra for an upgrade because while they have slightly better facilities the decor is cold and clinical. We had a fantastic meal in the restaurant followed by a nice evening in the bar which had entertainment, a singer and we thought he was very good. I then expected to go to bed to a second good night's sleep but this was ruined by wedding guest drunkenly hammering on doors to get in rooms between 2 & 4am, while this was not the hotels fault I feel they should of informed us there was a wedding party when we booked. Overall I would recommend a stay here but would ask for one of the rooms at the rear of the hotel as we were informed these are bigger.

Room Tip: Larger family rooms at the rear of the hotel are at same room rates as normal rooms.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your 5* feedback regarding your recent stay with us, we genuinely appreciate you taking the time. It was nice to read how much you enjoyed your meal in the restaurant and the entertainment in the bar.
We apologise for the disturbance you received from other guest staying in the hotel, and we look forward to welcoming you back to Village Leeds North very soon!.

Reviewed 23 August 2014

Stayed here on Friday 22 August. Was a little aprehensive after visiting the Devere Village hotel in Blackpool and hated every minute of it.

I needent have been, the staff were very friendly and very helpful. The room was very clean and warm.

The pool area was also very clean and the life guard was constantly checking the water quality.

The food in the restaurant is a must. From the starter through to the main course it was top notch, very flavoursome and just enough. Did not have room for a desert unfortunately as they did look good.

I would have like to have stayed another night but unfortunately they were fully booked. Shame

Dear Guest,

Thanks for your 5 star review following your recent visit , we really appreciate your time
I was pleased to read you enjoyed your stay and delighted you found the team to be so friendly and helpful. Great to see you enjoyed your food in the Verve Grill and that the staff looked after you! We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Best wishes and thanks again,

Reviewed 21 August 2014

Well at £85 (special offer!) it was for us, I suppose that if you use the facilities, we didn't, it might be better value for money. We were attending a wedding somewhere else, so during the slack time between the meal and the disco, we went to check in. This was disrupted by a fight breaking out at the wedding being held in the Village (A proper, old fashioned wedding!) When we went to our room there was a couple rolling about in the corridor, they did apologise, but I suspect it was only when we said it was okay if we could watch, did they stop. This, of course is not the fault of the hotel, but it does give you a flavour of the atmosphere. The room was okay apart from the teeny, tiny window, was bricks cheaper than glass when the hotel was built?, you were only able to open the window a few inches. You could sign a disclaimer, I kid you not, then staff would rush to open it further. It was very hot during the night, because there is no air con. It was also very noisy from the wedding below, this went on until nearly one AM. I know that's what happens at weddings, but surely they should put people who are not at the wedding as far away as possible. Breakfast was okay, pretty standard, although the stainless steel table tops gave the restaurant the ambiance of a works canteen.

Room Tip: Unless you're at a wedding at the hotel, stay somewhere else.
1  Thank noonan101
7931Linda, Guest Relations Manager at Village Hotel Leeds North, responded to this reviewResponded 22 August 2014

Thank you for your valuable feedback following your recent stay.

I have noted your comments and we sincerely apologise for the inconvenience this caused you it’s a real shame you did not get time to use the newly refurbished leisure facilities,

Reviewed 20 August 2014

For my wife and I it was a one night, expensive experience. We were on the second floor, our bedroom was OK and comfortable but in the corridor the carpets were distinctly grubby. The evening meal was a disapointment, I had steak which was tough as old boots and the new potatoes were hard and not cooked properly, so were the potatoes with my wife's meal.
Earlier the waiter had been round to tell guests that unfortunately the kitchen had run out of chips and could they choose an alternative! For sweet, we decided to just go for ice cream. We were both on medication that prevented alcohol so we had to stick with a jug of tap water. The service was also quite slow.
The total cost of the meal for two was £40.20.
We would think twice before staying there again

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family

Thank you for your valuable feedback following your recent stay.

I have noted your comments regarding your meal in the Verve Grill; and this will be further reviewed with our Head Chef.

Reviewed 19 August 2014

Have been slightly generous in star rating, probably 3.5 star. Location reasonable, not much surrounding hotel, 20 minute bus ride from Leeds Centre, bus stop outside hotel. Allocated room on 2nd floor, well equipped, light, clean. Toilet flush dodgy but overall good. However 2nd evening, foul smell in room, forcing us to change rooms which was again fine. TV picture in room one impossible to watch on BBC1, was told all TVs in hotel the same and problem wouldn't be fixed for a few days, ironically picture in room 2 was perfect!! Can endorse previous comments, rooms were overly hot, even when weather was cool outside. Windows barely open up, mobile fans provided but basic issue needs to be resolved.
Staff throughout hotel friendly and helpful. Food good, breakfast was buffet style but fine, food was hot. Hotel,decor overall mixed, carpets in corridors pretty disgusting, need replacing urgently. Overall hotel fine for a short stay, it could be 4 star plus if money was spent on some refurbishment, albeit first impressions in reception very positive.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends

Thank you for your review; and for your valuable feedback.

I am delighted to learn that you found our Team to be friendly and our dining options good.

I hope that you will provide the Team with the opportunity to welcome you back

Kindest Regards,

Also consider these accommodations in or near Headingley
Village Hotel Leeds South
Ascot Grange Hotel
#1 of 9 in Headingley
Haley's Hotel and Restaurant
Thorpe Park Hotel & Spa

Been to Village Hotel Leeds North? Share your experiences!