Haley's Hotel and Restaurant
US$160
US$144
Priceline
Orbitz.com
Ascot Grange Hotel(Headingley)(Great Value!)
US$68
TripAdvisor
Headingley Lodge(Headingley)
TripAdvisor
All reviewsquiet roadthe main hoteltree lined roadno liftfour poster bedsingle roomnight portergarden roomcity centreseparate showerfamily weddingbuffet stylelovely hotelbit datedsunday lunchpubs and restaurantsfamily room
Reviewed 9 July 2011

For a 3 star hotel I was very disappointed.......... there's hardly anyone at reception and nobody to help carry heavy luggage up and down the stairs.
Internet service was extremely poor and I needed to keep asking them to re-boot.
Stingy with the loo paper!!!
Staff mostly helpful except for one young man who shocked me in the extraordinarily rude way he spoke to me.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
HaleysHotel, Owner at Haley's Hotel and Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 10 July 2011

Sorry to here this guests disappointment but would like to address some of the comments made. We should always put 2 quality toilet rolls in each room, it looks as though on this occasion the housekeeper has missed it but there is always spare toilet rolls kept at reception.
It is true that at off peak times we only have one receptionist on duty this is normally sufficient for a 26 bedroomed hotel.
As for the rude young man, unfortunately it cannot have been me as people stopped calling me young man some years ago I can only think it may of been the waiter but it is difficult to know as there has been some time lapse since the comment and your stay.
If this young man was a member of staff he should of offered to give you a hand with your luggage as I do.
It is true that from time to time we suffer with a weak signal with the internet but we are consatantly updating the system.

Reviewed 3 July 2011

Stayed here on night before cricket ODI against Sri Lanka. Friendly old hotel which has been tastefully modernised. The staff were all very friendly, in particular Bob at Breakfast. Thoroughly enjoyable stay - we will return and would recommend.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family

Thanlk You for your kind comments hope you enjoyed your day at Cricket, and look forward to seeing you hopefully at next years test match, England V South Africa August 2nd -6th.

Reviewed 22 May 2011

We stayed last night at the hotel for our wedding anniversary. We live locally and many years ago remember the hotel as being at the higher end of the market. We now know that it has been taken over following the business being run down by previous owners.

We booked only a few days ago and got the last room due to a big party being booked in, although we were not told this at the time. Fortunately this did not impinge on our stay.

On the positive side, the staff were extremely pleasant and efficient right from our telephone booking, to the point where the door locked jammed on our return from breakfast, which we found quite amusing but it was professionally dealt with. Thanks to Sophie for arranging the wine and flowers to be put in the room.

The king size bed was very comfortable, the room clean with a good sized, recently renovated bathroom (although the shower pressure was low and there is nowhere to put shampoo etc. or hang towels close to the shower).

On the downside, no main course selection for myself as a vegetarian. On booking I had mentioned being vegetarian and was told that the chef would be informed so that I would have a choice of dish. There was only one vegetarian dish on the menu, this isn't what I call a choice. A member of reception staff did assure me that this would be pointed out to the manager. Despite that we had a very nice meal (disappointed with the allegedly "home made chips"!!!), accompanied by a good wine at a surprisingly reasonable price, in very pleasant surroundings. The breakfast was very good too, especially the croissants.

The room itself was fine, except for the furniture which is a little shabby. The tv could perhaps do with being moved as my husband almost knocked it over on the way to the bathroom!

In no way did the negative points highlighted detract from our visit as we would definitely stay again.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple

Thank You your comments have been noted.

Reviewed 22 May 2011

I booked Haleys for my wedding in April as i wanted somewhere local that was good value for money which Haleys certainly is. The hotel is in a fantastic location near the amenities of Headingley and the city centre but is located on a quiet street which means the hotel is very peaceful. It is small and very definately not a large chain hotel which was perfect for us as it felt different - it was almost like being in a small country hotel. The decor of the public rooms is very fitting for the period of the building and i am glad they havent gone for modern as this would take away some of the charm of the place. While some bits are seeming a little faded (a little frayed carpet on the stairs etc) the whole place was very clean and had a lot of character. Myself and my husband stayed in a fantastic tower-room which has been assigned as the bridal room. For the price the room is advertised at (it was complimentary on our wedding night) it really was fantastic - brilliant bathroom with separate shower and bath, very comfy bed and plenty of room for me and my rather large wedding dress with plenty of space to hang it (including a very useful ceiling hook - a nice touch!) My only quibble is that they need a valance to cover the bottom of the divan - not very attractive but a small issue. Also a little more attention could be paid to the TV wires - some of which seemed a little precarious and could have done with being hidden away. Our room had obviously been re-decorated and this was done in a more modern style than the public rooms but still was sympathetic to the age of the building. But i know that not all of the rooms have yet been redecorated and may be suffering a little wear and tear. However, feedback from family members who stayed in the older style rooms was overwhemingly positive as the rooms were clean and comfortable and most importantly good value for money. Also i was happy that they had free wi-fi (which did work!!) which is more than many of the large chain hotels seem to be able to manage.

We had exclusive use of the hotel for the wedding which was brilliant - highly reccommended as we got the hotel's full attention throughout the day (and it is excellent value for money meaning those on a budget can still afford it!!). The level of service we received throughout the wedding day was outstanding. Everything went very smoothly and i felt the staff were very attentive and very helpful. It suprises me that some reviews have said that the service here has been bad as i genuinely felt it was fantastic - they were very helpful even when we started taking over the library the day before to put together the wedding flowers, even providing scissors and rubber bands when we needed them.

I must also mention the food as it was fantastic. The wedding breakfast was delicious with some of the best cheesecake I've had outside of New York!! Portions could have been a little smaller as many of us struggled to finish the large starter and even larger main. The evening buffet was brilliant and the quality of the food was a pleasant surprise - some fantastic sausage rolls and pizza that all looked homemade (we were expecting average buffet food, nothing very exciting, but what we got was so much better and very tasty). The breakfast the next day was very good - great selection of hot and cold food and some very nice scrambled egg (which many of us commented on).

Overall i highly recommend Haleys as a great little local hotel that certainly knows how to hold a wedding! They helped to make my day absolutely perfect and i recommend it as a fab venue. Only negative was that i stuggled to get hold of the events organiser a few times by email (phone is definately best with this place!) and some brides could have found the service pre-wedding a little too under-attentive (which did worry me slightly for the actual wedding day although i am very laid-back so wasnt too stressed). However i didnt need to worry as they more than made up for it on the big day and i certainly dont feel this comment should put off prospective brides!! They also changed staff between the time we made our (rather early) booking and the actual day which i think had quite a lot to do with that. It saddens me that Haleys has had quite a few negative reviews of late (which frankly worried me before my big day) but i feel that this is a little gem of a place full of character that exceeded my expectations. While some of the decor may be dated or frayed around the edges the hotel has a great feel to it and is a great example of a lovely little independant hotel.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank MrsStageman

Thank You for your kind comments and wish you a belated congratulations on your wedding and wish you all the very best for the future.

Reviewed 18 May 2011

My daughter arranged her wedding here - considering it good value for money.
We found the staff helpful and friendly without being intrusive. We booked the hotel for exclusive use which is a very satisfactory as you do not have to share the day with other weddings. The food was excellent - the worse criticism being that the starter was too large. We found the rooms clean and certainly the ones I saw seemed spacious for a 3 star hotel

It was a wonderful day

The only criiticism I have is that they seemed to be difficult to contact via email. I would advise you to phone the hotel rather than contact them by email

• Stayed: April 2011
1  Thank msmallhill

Thank You for your comments Im concerned about your difficulty in recieving replies by e-mail, there is no reason for this to be the case I will certainly investigate the matter.