All reviewsquiet roadno liftsingle roomfour poster bedtree lined roadthe main hotelnight portercity centregarden roomseparate showerlovely hotelbuffet stylevisiting friendspubs and restaurantsself servicethe location is perfectbreakfast was excellent
Reviewed 26 August 2011

Stayed for two nights mid August (along with my daughter and son and their partners) for a family wedding (which also took place in the hotel). Everything (all staff, cleanliness, food, atmosphere) was great... we were all delighted and had a lovely weekend (and so did my dog who was given a sausage for breakfast). Thank you Haley's Hotel :O)

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled solo
HaleysHotel, Owner at Haley's Hotel and Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 19 October 2011

The sausages are good, and hope your dog would recommend them also.
Glad you had a nice and comfortable stay with us Thank You.
Gordon (Owner)..

Reviewed 20 August 2011

We stopped here just for 1 night and advised the management that as I had ME I really did need a quiet comfortable room. This was completely ignored and I would not stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family

Very sorry to hear of your experience at Haley's. I wish I had more details so I could see what happened to your booking.
Please feel free to write to me at the Haley's address, I will certainly look into this matter.
Regards Gordon (Owner).

Reviewed 6 August 2011

Had booked this hotel as we were attending a wedding at the cricket ground and it was within walking distance, having read the reviews on here we went with an open mind.The hotel is set in a leafy avenue with plentiful parking and the building looks quite impressive, it is very well located for local amenities there are at least a couple of pubs and restaurants within walking distance and some shops for those items you have forgotten.
Were we dissapointed on arrival NO not at all, If I wanted to be picky yes some of the carpets particulally on the staircases are looking past there best but they were clean, some of the paintwork could do with freshening up and the hot water pressure is low but I put that down to being on the top floor. Over all our party enjoyed their stay, all the staff we came across were pleasent and helpful and the breakfast buffet was varied and plentiful.
We had a deluxe room on the top floor which was well appointed and very light and the bathroom with bath and seperate shower with modern fittings looked as though it had been recently installed.
I am very particular about the places we stay in and am prepared to pay a little more for both service and for pleasant surroundings my philosophy is you pay travel lodge prices you get the travel lodge and to back that up I do a very comprehensive inspection of all the places we stay and to be perfectly honest apart from the few obsevation I made near the top I really could,nt fault Haleys and I would not hessitate to book in again if we are looking for a weekend away.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends
HaleysHotel, Owner at Haley's Hotel and Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 10 August 2011

Thank You for your review we are currently undergoing decorating and re carpeting at Haley's and Bedford House which is the Annexe to Haley's Hotel, Since taking over the hotel from the administrators we do have an on going programme of updating the decor etc, although we have to be sensitive to the fact these buildings are grade II listed buildings, Nice to hear you enjoyed your stay hope re visit us again.

Regards Gordon Jowett
(owner)

Reviewed 3 August 2011

Lovely hotel, friendly staff, but badly in need of some T.L.C. Owner drives Aston Martin, yet the hotel inside is sad - needs money spening. We stayed in Room 2 - things missing from walls, no where to sit and dry hair with a mirror, wardrobe doors need stripping and repainting. Door handles not fixed securely. Bathroom tired - window frames need stripping and repainting. Curtains hung down with no fixing. Kettle in room full - how long had it been stood. Hole in floor just outside bathroom door. Carpets dirty and in need of replacing or cleaning.

Friendly staff and food excellent, just the surroundings that need T.L.C.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank Jane W

As mentioned in some of the other reviews a decorating and carpeting programme is in progress Bedford House which is the annexe with 7 bedrooms will be completed by August 14th then we are turning our attentions onto the main building which is Haleys Hotel.
As for the car I drive I have to say I have recently treat myself having worked 50 years to a very nice car but Astin Martin I wish. The Car I drive is less than half the price. If it looks that good I would only be to pleased to tell you the make and it starts with J .

Gordon Jowett
(Owner)

Reviewed 20 July 2011

Noted a range of comments from previous reviewers - and also noted the really proactive input by hotel, who have responded to nearly every review - really good effort! If only more did this.
However...I am writing this on my first evening - part 2 to come tomorrow when I leave.

First impressions: a bad mark, as I had sent an email five or six days earlier asking for info on/confirmation of wifi in rooms. (Hotel had responded to previous similar comment here by saying no problem with email!) I had mentioned I was one of a small business group staying here, and we were hosting a small conference for other people the following day, so we were bringing a fair amount of revenue to the place, and thought I would get at least some decent treatment! But no reply!

Arrived late evening - easy to find, good location, nice buildings.
Mentioned unanswered email - very helpful and pleasant receptionist found it in the 'spam' folder, with lots of similar emails to the official email address! I was told probably no wifi accessible in room as signal too poor,fully booked so no room swap possible.

Checked into my room (in the adjacent 'annexe' but an excellent size room). Door locks and handles quite some away apart so have to put all bags down as need two hands to open door. Small 'desk' lamp not working. Tried swapping bulb with bedside lamps - to no avail. Made me suspect some hidden 'lighting control' and eventually found it!

No milk in room. Kettle stupidly fitted with very short lead - which you have to bend to floor level to plug in. And then to unplug, as too short to pour water where it is. (Actually, this is a serious health and safety issue, and I feel hotel would be liable if anyone scalded themselves trying to pour from the kettle.)

Back to reception to ask for some milk, willingly provided..

No spare usable plug to use laptop, so had to move kettle to bedside table. Chair too low really for comfortable long-term use at the small 'desk'. Hotels today MUST cater for the business traveller and laptops; with wifi this is one of my core requirements.

Great bathroom, bath, shower, two large bath towels, nice toiletries. Went to use lavatory - disgustingly unflushed, and smelly.

TV - great large flat screen, with sleep function (another core requirement!). However freeview reception very poor - most only 46% signal strength. Seems very quiet, and sure will have good night - time will tell how tomorrow is handled!

Room Tip: If you want wifi - phone and ask for room able to receive
Stayed: July 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank Jon007

Where do we start to reply with regards to this marathon review I sometimes think that some people have too much time on there hands and maybe this would be one of those occasions.
Having spoken to the course organiser she was most disturbed at this review and stated from her experience from organising the meeting and overnight stay in the hotel this review was over the top.
It is true we have work to do within haley's and as you may pick up from other responses the hotel is undergoing a redecorating programme.
I would disagree with the comments about breakfast and had I have known of this guests disappointment with Haley's I would of arranged for a transfer to his beloved Travel Lodge.
You are spared from the time been in reading 5 long paragraphs in part 2 I have no doubt that this may appear in 3 months time. It is rather sad to read reviews of this nature particullarly when you can speak to the owner face to face.

Gordon Jowett