“Cosy & comfortable, lovely breakfast.”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of The Butlers Hotel

The Butlers Hotel
Ranked #8 of 9 Hotels in Headingley
Farsley
“Cosy & comfortable, lovely breakfast.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 September 2012

We stayed here with a £29 Groupon voucher. It was a great deal, inc drink on arrival and full English breakfast. The Ascot room was small and cosy, clean and tidy. The shower wasn't brilliant but did what it's supposed to! Although the hotel website stated there was home cooked food on offer in the evening the chef had recently left but no prob as we just walked into Headingley where there was plenty of choice to suit all budgets. There was a Leeds Rhinos match on but we were not disturbed by any noise at all. We would stay again - hopefully the chef will have been replaced!

Room Tip: The Ascot was up a couple of steep stairways and located at the back of the hotel.
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank boyblue1964
Markalowther, Manager at The Butlers Hotel, responded to this review, 29 December 2012
Thank you very much for taking time to write a review.
I am very pleased you enjoyed your stay with us. Unforchantly we have not replaced our chef as we did not have a grate amount of people wanting food, as you said there is some lovely restaurants just a stone throw away from our hotel.
I hope to see you in the near futcher.
Kind regards
Tom Fligg
Duty Manager
Butlers Hotel

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Swansea, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2012

I stayed for 3 nights while visiting Headingly for a Test Match. The location of the hotel was perfect and the staff were helpful and friendly. However, the place needs a complete refurbishment. The state of the carpets and furnishings is apalling and they need to be thrown out and a fresh start made. I had the Umpire's room. There was too much furniture there and a small fridge was placed on the floor when it could have been placed on a table, On opening it I found a part-eaten carton of ice cream which had been left by a previous occupant. In the bathroom a whole section of tiles is missing. The shower head refused to stay in its bracket and showering was difficult. Also as the room was on the top floor of the hotel the water pressure was very low and hot water took a considerable time to arrive. At breakfast, which was a disorganised free for all with insufficient tables for all the guests, I found that some of the cutlery was dirty which I pointed to a member of staff. The next day I suffered from diarrhoea which I cannot in fairness attribute directly to the hotel, but an assumption can be made. From that point on I didn't eat brealfast apart from a slice of toast.
The management of this hotel has a touch of FawltyTowers about it although I did not see any German guests. In its favour one could say that the moderate fees charged reflected the condition of the premises which is fair enough in a way.

Room Tip: Rooms on the top floor facing the cricket ground are probably the quietest.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank David G

Travellers are raving about these Headingley hotels

Bristol, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2012

I and my Wife stayed at the Butlers Hotel; due to me working away we stayed there for over three months. We found that the staff was very pleasant and willing to help, the managers were also very helpful. Price wise this Hotel is great, and we will be going back to this Hotel again.

The accommodation was also good, and this hotel is within easy reach of the city centre, rooms was clean; the staff at the hotel even looked after our bags whilst our room was being made, because we turned up early. The Hotel has a nice friendly bar, with pool table. I would give this Hotel a ten out of ten rating.

Room Tip: Captains Room very good
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank Brian R
Oxford, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2012

I booked a single room for 1 night. The hotel was what I expected for what I had paid save for one thing - the lack of any meaningful sound insulation between my room and the next door one.

I took wax earplugs as I read elsewhere about possible noise. They were totally ineffective. My neighbour was on his phone at various times between 2 and 3.30 am. He then laughed from time to time at (I assume) a book or programme on his laptop while wearing headphones. I banged on the wall at 4.45. He was suitably apologetic but I did not sleep at all from approx 2 am onwards. The only good thing was watching the dawn break over the cricket ground - which I could see from my window - and thinking of the amazing matches and feats that have taken place there over the years.

Granted that ringing people at that time of the morning might be odd but he was talking in a normal voice and was entitled to assume that that would not disturb anyone else. I could hear every word as if he was sitting next to my bed even with earplugs! The noise was not even muffled or just background.

The room seemed to be a larger room that had been divided with the most perfunctory plaster board. He belched at one point to the extent that it made me jump. I usually sleep well and deeply.

My daughter was in another single room upstairs and slept well, hence my "average" rating, but I had the most uncomfortable and disturbed night since my children were babies.

Room Tip: Avoid the single rooms facing the rear car park on the (I think it was) first floor.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2012

We have been here several times and have come to know the staff quite well. Its a bit like a home away from home (We are from San Francisco). Yes, some things are tired and old, but that gives an aura of charm and amiableness. If you want something new and inexpensive go downtown to the Travelodge - but then you have a predictable chain = bland, same, anonymous. When I come back I will stay at the Butlers Hotel.

London
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 June 2012

Charming building let down by awful customer service. The room we stayed in was dingy, the bath was pretty small and the shower only emitted a dribble of water. But for £52 a night I wasn't expecting the Hilton. On the plus side the hotel is very close to the cricket and rugby grounds, if you are attending a game.

The hotel really let itself down in its customer service though. There was no iron in my room (there was suppose to be) and when I raised this with staff was told that the spare iron was broken, but that I could use a (pretty outdated) press in the back room. Given the inconvenience, I would have hoped that the member of staff might at least have offered to press my shirt for me but instead he left me to do it whilst him and another member of staff watched horse racing and bet on an online site. The press was fairly useless and managed to singe the front of my white shirt. So I had to go to a wedding wearing a creased shirt with a burn mark.

The breakfast was also terrible. We came down to find that there were no tables available (which is not necessarily the staff's fault) but they hardly covered themselves in glory by offering to seat us on an unmade table in a dark and dank room). There was no fresh milk or orange juice and we had to ask the the staff twice to re-fill the jugs. When we asked the 'chef', dressed in an old sweatshirt, what the options were for breakfast, he replied 'Full English, or variation on that' which would no doubt confuse any foreign visitors. Asking for 2 boiled eggs, they arrived in a small bowl as the hotel did not have any egg cups!

All in all a very disappointing experience. As someone who regularly vists Leeds I can't say the hotel does much for the image of the city.

Doncaster, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 June 2012

My husband and I booked an overnight stay at the Butlers hotel and thought we'd stepped back in time. Our bedroom was dark, dingy, dusty, tired and in desperate need of decoration.The breakfast was very nice, although the chef was scruffy (had no uniform on) and seemed to be on a go slow! Bread was provided to make toast but it ran out and no-one came to stock up or to see if anyone needed anything. The manager occasionally popped his head round the kitchen door but we did not actually see him until we were leaving. On the whole the hotel was very poorly and unprofessionally run and we were extremely disappointed.

1 Thank sueturtle
Also consider these accommodations in or near Headingley
Haley's Hotel and Restaurant
Ibis Leeds Centre
#28 of 86 in Leeds
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,138 reviews
Hotel ibis budget Leeds Centre

Been to The Butlers Hotel? Share your experiences!