“Reservation solution”
Review of The Butlers Hotel

The Butlers Hotel
Ranked #8 of 9 Hotels in Headingley
Reviewed 18 March 2014

I booked a room for my husband and I to stay there for my fathers funeral service. My family changed the funeral plans and I called the very next day to cancel the reservation. A month later after the intended stay, I was charged the full room fee. After numerous calls to the hotel to resolve this issue, I have recieved no satisfaction and now they will not even return my emails. So as far as the hotel is concerned, I have no review, but so far the serice has not been satisfactory and I am out $208.00. Not happy.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank jayne c

Reviewed 17 March 2014 via mobile

We used this hotel with a groupon voucher
Very close to our daughter in Hyde park, great location
All the staff were very friendly, breakfast hearty
Lovely big bed,
Would definitely stay again when visiting our daughter

• Stayed: March 2014
Reviewed 15 March 2014 via mobile

Just home from a night away at The Butler's Hotel. My husband and I bought a Groupon offer for £29 for a nights stay with breakfast and a complimentary drink on arrival. Worth every penny!!! Its in a great location for a night out in Leeds. The hotel was warm, clean and comfortable and the staff are amazing. Breakfast was fab the sausages are to die for! Would definitely return.
Please don't let bad reviews put you off. We loved it.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank va76w
Reviewed 14 February 2014

I had bought a deal stay from groupon just before Christmas, and wanted to book mid January I went to look when I could go and noticed in the small print that you had to book before the 5th jan! Think it was the 10th of jan when I noticed this I the small print, so I emailed the hotel 3 times to ask if they could over ride this but have not had any correspondence back at all! Very rude and looking at the reviews they need customers so I was surprised I didn't get a reply, not a great way to do business and improve your profile!!!

Stayed: January 2014
2  Thank jwistow73
Reviewed 13 February 2014

Firstly let's be very clear about managing your expectations. The Butler's Hotel is a budget hotel and has no pretentions to be anything more. And let's face it, you're looking at The Butlers because you want to save some pennies. So, here's what you get...

You'll get a more than decent room with TV, WiFi, Kettle. Some rooms are kitted out with a few extras such as iron/ironing board. Beds are comfy and though in one or two rooms you may get some brightness at night from the fascia lights, this was never a real problem for me.

You'll get very welcoming staff - Mark the owner and his duty managers Tom and Nick are fantastic people, always happy to help and with a smile. Nothing is too much trouble. Breakfast is cooked to order and is at a very reasonable price. There is no provision for evening meals but guests are always welcome to eat any food they bring in to the hotel in the dining area.

Some of the more negative reviews on this site criticise the decor and some of the shared facilities. To be fair to the staff, they are undergoing a programme of updating and modernising which by its nature has to be carried out carefully and be managed around the fact that the hotel is open to guests 24/7 365 days a year. The reviewer who mentioned the "dungeon" in a previous review would hopefully be pleasantly surprised to know that that whole area of the hotel has been refurbished and brightened up. Similarly, the staff can only do so much regarding the shared facilities. Some users of said facilities don't seem to be able to leave them in a reasonable state after use. Staff do their best to keep those areas clean and tidy but its the law of averages that sometimes a guest may come across a shared shower or toilet where the previous user hasn't been respectful to other users. Not really fair to blame that on the hotel or staff.

I stayed here for 3/4 nights a week for 5 months whilst working on a contract and only ever had one issue on one night which was dealt with promptly and professionally by the duty manager and fully to my satisfaction.

This is a great little place to stay, whether for business during the week or social/pleasure at weekends. It's not a 5 star hotel and doesn't profess to be. But what it does aspire to be it does very well. If you want a warm friendly welcome at a very reasonable price I would thoroughly recommend the Butlers.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
3  Thank dme1971
Reviewed 14 January 2014

Stayed here after dropping my daughter off at Uni. Had the Bronte room with four poster bed and artefacts about the Brontes everywhere, including pictures and books. Quaint therefore, compared to modern hotels - rather 'olde-worlde'. Four poster bed was very comfortable and Jacuzzi bath was great once it had filled sufficiently. Plenty of hot water. Room very clean. Breakfast was excellent - cooked to order and piping hot. Would certainly stay again at price we paid. Very welcoming and friendly staff.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank James D
Reviewed 11 January 2014

We booked this hotel deal off groupon read all the usual negative reviews and thought we would decide for ourselves, we were looking for somewhere to lay our head after a day / night on the tiles! We arrived to a very dark shabby reception with a lovely happy concierge, we were two hours early and our room was ready, we had the Reniour room 236 which was very bright and airy compared to the hall way, yes the room and bathroom were dated and it was in desperate need of redecoration but it was clean and had a really large comfy bed, staff very friendly & helpful, breakfast was mediocre but for £29 B&B for two it was ample, not sure I would return but certainly doesn't deserve the reviews it's got, you want 5 star pay 5 star prices! close to town £4 in a taxi (don't use the black & white taxis they take your eyes out)

Room Tip: Reniour room had a very comfy bed which made up for the decor but unfortunately our window was right...