“If you're thinking of staying at the Butlers - take a tent instead!”
Review of The Butlers Hotel

The Butlers Hotel
Ranked #8 of 9 Hotels in Headingley
Reviewed 15 February 2010

This alleged hotel is without doubt the worst one in the UK I have stayed in.

On the whole, I agree with the person who described it as a Fawlty Towers-esque experience. We stayed over the weekend (Fri & Sat nights) in the Bronte Room and you needed to be a 5'2" contortionist to get around the room without constantly banging into something - unfortunately neither my wife nor I fall into this category. Although there was a 'No Smoking' sign on the door, it stank of stale tobacco and there were several cigarette butts in the guttering outside the window.

The plumbing around the bath leaked more than a 12-year-old incontinent Labrador and there was only one temperature for the shower - scalding hot! The room was never serviced whilst we were there so the two teacups we used on Saturday afternoon where still sat on the dressing table when we left this morning. The bed was not touched - nobody even came in and straightened it.

We were led to believe breakfast was inlcuded in the price we paid but evidently not. This morning, it appeared we were the only ones for breakfast since we had to dig someone out to get the makings ("Ooh, chef never told me anyone was here for breakfast, luvvey.")

The stairs to our room were a death trap waiting to happen and I noticed the hotel insurance certificate at reception was around three months out of date. I wonder what would have happened if either of us had taken a tumble? The only good thing about this place was its location. We had travelled up for the Leeds vs Leicester rugby match and the ground was literally just round the corner.

I am asked if I would recommend this hotel to a friend. I wouldn't recommend it to my worst enemy!

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jon_the_Tiger
There are newer reviews for The Butlers Hotel

Reviewed 31 August 2009

The Butlers Hotel, Leeds, England

From the website, I assumed that we were booking into a small family (-run) hotel which would suit our purposes to be in that particular area of Leeds. Little did we know what awaited us!

We arrived in the early evening, parked the car behind the hotel and entered by the front door. In the reception area (which was tired–looking to say the least) – the only seating was a bench seat like a church pew. There was no receptionist at the desk only a notice asking clients to hit the bell for attention. On hitting the bell, a woman appeared through a doorway which, we found out later, led to an adjoining hotel next door. Surprisingly, there were no check-in procedures – no forms to complete. The only request from the ‘receptionist’ was that we pay our room bill (we had booked for several nights) in advance! – unusual to say the least. At this point I began to wonder what sort of place I had booked us into. But more was to follow…

1. Our room was on the second floor and therefore, I had to struggle with a very large and heavy suitcase up two flights of steep, narrow and winding stairs.

2. On opening our door, we viewed a very old fashioned room the walls of which were cluttered with too many pictures and in which there was hardly enough free space to swing the proverbial cat. The bathroom was clean and of reasonable size although the available shower temperature was ‘very hot’ or ‘very hot’. Rinsing off after the soaping involved getting cold water, in a cup, from the wash basin.

3. During our first night we were wakened about 01.30 by some people, outside the hotel, shouting and banging on the hotel’s front door. Our room overlooked the front door so we had the full benefit of the aforesaid shouting and banging. This went on for some time and eventually the police arrived. I don’t know what action the police took but after a bit, the front door of the hotel was opened to admit the noise–makers. At this point one would have hoped that peace would have returned to the hotel – not so!

Next we heard the thud of footsteps climbing the stairs to the second floor (our floor) – footsteps which then proceeded along the corridor and stopped outside our door. Guess what happened next! – someone turned the handle of our door which I had locked before going to bed. But sure enough, the door opened! – at this point I yelled at the invader with all the force my lungs could muster. By the time I got to the door he/she had legged it fast – no sign of him/her. Probably we had about 3.5 hours sleep this first night. Next morning there was no comment and no apology from the management for the night’s events. Question: did the hotel not have a member of staff on duty overnight?

4. According to the hotel’s website, breakfast was available for £2.50 per head. In fact we were charged a little under £4.00 per head. I queried this with the waitress and was told that they had outsourced their website and had not got round to updating it!

5. Room service – on our second full day, we returned to our room to find that one teacup had been washed and one had been left unwashed. Also, we had been given one bath towel and no hand towels, for two people. When I pointed this out to a staff member, I was told they had had a problem earlier in the day. My comment: if you are running a hotel, you solve the problem and then carry on from where you left off. You do not forget about it!

6. On leaving the hotel for the last time, it was not possible to drive from the hotel car park to the road as a large industrial-size waste bin had been tipped over and the rubbish was strewn over the hotel’s driveway. The attitude of a member of staff was that “it’s not our problem – the rubbish belongs to the house next door!” (Hello! It’s your hotel’s driveway.) Fortunately, we were able to leave the car park via the adjoining hotel’s driveway.

7. How much were we charged for this experience? - £228.00! By comparison, a few days later we spent the same length of time at the Holiday Inn Express in the same area of Leeds and the cost was £212.00 (breakfast and all mod cons included). Chalk and cheese!

8. To cap it all, there was a framed ‘Les Routiers’ certificate in The Butlers Hotel’s reception area.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank bloggo
Reviewed 28 April 2009

Only up in Leeds for one night but would have happily stayed here longer. Staff very friendly and professional, always asking for feedback on facilities and services. Used by contractors who value a solid night's sleep and a good breakfast so no disturbances. They even stocked two types of real ale at the bar!

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 26 August 2008

Very pleasant hotel with very good service

• Stayed: July 2008
Reviewed 24 July 2008

The website and reality are quite different. We never saw any of the staff shown in the website. It seemed that one lady was running 2 receptions at the same time - one in the Boundary Hotel and one in the Butlers hotel. You could literally walk through from one hotel to the next. The decor was very tired indeed.
The receptionist eventually came and then insisted we pay her for the room up front, otherwise we could not have the key. As we were in a rush and had to change quickly due to an appointment, we paid her. We were sent to the Stars room and upon entering were greeted with very strong cigarette smoke. Also, there was luggage in the room belonging to someone else. We trouped downstairs and the receptionist was cleary embarrassed and gave us the key to another room. I have never stayed in a room with a window so small. The decor was tired, The carpet had seen better days. The blanket on the bed was ancient. The bathroom was clean but you had to manouver round the lavatory to get to the bath and basin. The fan extractor was loud and we kept getting the whiff of drains. There was no bathmat. No bedside table on one side of the bed. At 4.30 am we were woken by a woman walking in to our bedoom! Needless to say, we got up and left without having breakfast the next morning. How this hotel has been AA 3 star rated is beyond us. We have stayed in a number of bed and breakfasts and small hotels throughout the country which have been of an excellent standard.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Morwen
Reviewed 20 November 2007

Lovely themed decor I have never stayed in a hotel or seen one like this. We stayed in the stars room which was quite a large hotel room with pictures of famous people on the walls. We were greeted by a pleasant young lady who quickly checked us in it would of been nice for someone to help us with our bags but the lady on reception was the only person working and she was heavily pregnant. We came down for an evening meal. The restaurant was very cheap the atmosphere in the restaurant was nice it was quiet and we didn't get hassled by the waitress which we liked. The food was amazing I recommend the giant filled Yorkshire pudding. The chef informed us that everything was home made even the Yorkshire pud!!!!!!! We had planned to go out for a few drinks but we ended up staying in the hotel bar which had a great atmosphere all the other guests were so friendly and by the end of the night we were all sat together having a great time. When we came down for breakfast the next morning to our amazement we came down to an all you can eat buffet which we found a bit unusual but a pleasant surprise for such a small hotel. There was a very large selection and the food was good. We would definitely stay here again and recommend it to anyone looking to stay somewhere a little different.

• Stayed: November 2007, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 February 2007

See my review for The Boundary Hotel. These two hotels have been knocked into one and the only remotely good aspect is the Breakfast.

I had to complain about the stench of dope coming from the next door (non smoking!!!) room. The manager "had a word" with the spaced out guest and sprayed some revolting air freshener around the place.

It's cheap but not very cheerful - avoid this place.

• Stayed: February 2007
2  Thank Geraldo_Bonzo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Headingley
Ascot Grange Hotel
#29 of 87 in Leeds
Mercure Leeds Parkway
Mercure Leeds Parkway
#50 of 87 in Leeds

Been to The Butlers Hotel? Share your experiences!