“Nice images reality so so different!”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of The Butlers Hotel

The Butlers Hotel
Ranked #8 of 9 Hotels in Headingley
Basildon, United Kingdom
“Nice images reality so so different!”
Reviewed 23 July 2010

Ok, starts with the website. The hotel looks lovely, old style traditional hotel with lots of "features" that might attract a person wanting a more readitional experience. Of course we liked the idea of a four poster bed. So we booked the "Bronte Room". On arrival we were happy to find a car park, eventhough it had litter blowing over it.
We entered the lobby to also be greeted by the "ring bell" sign.
When we rang the bell a very nice lady appeared and was very helpful. We had been prewarned about paying for the room so that wasn't an issue, wexcept that their card reader failed to read my card so used my wifes one.
Then we started the mountaineering event to the room, up flights of stairs and admitedly well signed. We eventually arrived at the end of a coridoor that was our room. It was not easy to see the lock but I eventually opened the door.
our initial impression was nice room, lovely bed and great look. Sadly experience was that all that glitters isnt gold....
First issue was that the lights didn't work! lamps did but not the room lights or bathroom one. I started the long climb down to reception to tell the polite lady who said she would go and look at the fusebox or if that failed call out the electrician. By the time I had completed the long climb back the lights were working (slightly worrying electrical safety thoughts ran through my mind). On arrival back in the room we did a little more exploarion of th facilities. The TV had dubious reception and all the satelitte chanels were disconnected.
When you lay on the bed be careful as the frame moves dramtically lengthwise, but don't worry, as, as soon as you lay down you will be distracted by the amazingly hard mattress, and before you think that that would be good orthopaedically, you wont benefit from the springs that stick out a little from the surface.
It has a Jacuzzi bath that MUST be a bonus surely? Yes it is if you are of scandanavian descent, as, it was cooler than luke warm at 0620 0745 and 1020 wehen I tried it out.
You may never get to the bath as you may already have troipped over the floor tiles that are inadequately stuck down.
Ok, so after a night disturbed by the relentless traffic noisy pedestrians etc (only mildly reduced by inadequate double glazing but too warm to leave window closed) we went down the long descent to "breakfast". The hotel is two knocked into one and in our side there were a number of tables contavined within a dark plastic ivy adourned area. We were given cereal spoons but no cereal. We had paid for set breakfasts and mine was 6 cooked items (apparently an independent contractor runs the "restaurant"). The water boiler for tea etc was misting the entire room with billowing steam but had almost no water in it. The toaster was a 4 slice one but only two worked.
I had cold "fried" tomato, tiny sausage and ultra crisp bacon with cool congealed beans and over cooked fried egg. The hash brown was cool but not bad. The musshroom was odd as it was cold hard tiny segments. The waitress was memorable only by her non appearance and amazingly poor English. The wall menu said the food was great and featured Bulgarian food as its speciality.
I wrote to the manager with feedback offering him the chance to reply but he didnt, yet when I e mailed them for the room details before staying I had an almost instant response.
Overall .... nice look appalling reality

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
leeds
Reviewed 19 July 2010

I stayed at the butlers for 1 night , the room was clean and tidy , we enjoyed happy hr at the bar which was 6 till 7 when it was buy one get one free , during our stay we meet a manager called ellie she was so helpfull nothing was to much trouble for her dispite the face she was very busy she still made us feel like we were the only ones in the hotel , the hotel is ideal for cricket fans , i would like to say a big thank you to ellie your a diamond

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
leeds
Reviewed 31 May 2010

ive been here for 2 years now working in leeds . the hotel staff are so friendlly they make it feel so homely . its got a nice quaint little bar . and its got a nice quite room . free parking . free internet in every rm . over the 2 years the hotel apears to be going through some changes . new owner that is bringing his own ideas to rise the standerds higher than they allready are

• Stayed June 2008, travelled on business
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 24 May 2010

I booked the butler's hotel this January for my mum and brother when they visited. Unfortunately there was a mix up with the rooms, which resulted in them being up-graded to higher category of rooms for the same price without any problems. The themed rooms were very lovely decorated and the staff were really friendly and helpful.

• Stayed January 2010
England
Reviewed 15 February 2010

This alleged hotel is without doubt the worst one in the UK I have stayed in.

On the whole, I agree with the person who described it as a Fawlty Towers-esque experience. We stayed over the weekend (Fri & Sat nights) in the Bronte Room and you needed to be a 5'2" contortionist to get around the room without constantly banging into something - unfortunately neither my wife nor I fall into this category. Although there was a 'No Smoking' sign on the door, it stank of stale tobacco and there were several cigarette butts in the guttering outside the window.

The plumbing around the bath leaked more than a 12-year-old incontinent Labrador and there was only one temperature for the shower - scalding hot! The room was never serviced whilst we were there so the two teacups we used on Saturday afternoon where still sat on the dressing table when we left this morning. The bed was not touched - nobody even came in and straightened it.

We were led to believe breakfast was inlcuded in the price we paid but evidently not. This morning, it appeared we were the only ones for breakfast since we had to dig someone out to get the makings ("Ooh, chef never told me anyone was here for breakfast, luvvey.")

The stairs to our room were a death trap waiting to happen and I noticed the hotel insurance certificate at reception was around three months out of date. I wonder what would have happened if either of us had taken a tumble? The only good thing about this place was its location. We had travelled up for the Leeds vs Leicester rugby match and the ground was literally just round the corner.

I am asked if I would recommend this hotel to a friend. I wouldn't recommend it to my worst enemy!

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jon_the_Tiger

Travellers are raving about these Headingley hotels

Hong Kong
Reviewed 31 August 2009

The Butlers Hotel, Leeds, England

From the website, I assumed that we were booking into a small family (-run) hotel which would suit our purposes to be in that particular area of Leeds. Little did we know what awaited us!

We arrived in the early evening, parked the car behind the hotel and entered by the front door. In the reception area (which was tired–looking to say the least) – the only seating was a bench seat like a church pew. There was no receptionist at the desk only a notice asking clients to hit the bell for attention. On hitting the bell, a woman appeared through a doorway which, we found out later, led to an adjoining hotel next door. Surprisingly, there were no check-in procedures – no forms to complete. The only request from the ‘receptionist’ was that we pay our room bill (we had booked for several nights) in advance! – unusual to say the least. At this point I began to wonder what sort of place I had booked us into. But more was to follow…

1. Our room was on the second floor and therefore, I had to struggle with a very large and heavy suitcase up two flights of steep, narrow and winding stairs.

2. On opening our door, we viewed a very old fashioned room the walls of which were cluttered with too many pictures and in which there was hardly enough free space to swing the proverbial cat. The bathroom was clean and of reasonable size although the available shower temperature was ‘very hot’ or ‘very hot’. Rinsing off after the soaping involved getting cold water, in a cup, from the wash basin.

3. During our first night we were wakened about 01.30 by some people, outside the hotel, shouting and banging on the hotel’s front door. Our room overlooked the front door so we had the full benefit of the aforesaid shouting and banging. This went on for some time and eventually the police arrived. I don’t know what action the police took but after a bit, the front door of the hotel was opened to admit the noise–makers. At this point one would have hoped that peace would have returned to the hotel – not so!

Next we heard the thud of footsteps climbing the stairs to the second floor (our floor) – footsteps which then proceeded along the corridor and stopped outside our door. Guess what happened next! – someone turned the handle of our door which I had locked before going to bed. But sure enough, the door opened! – at this point I yelled at the invader with all the force my lungs could muster. By the time I got to the door he/she had legged it fast – no sign of him/her. Probably we had about 3.5 hours sleep this first night. Next morning there was no comment and no apology from the management for the night’s events. Question: did the hotel not have a member of staff on duty overnight?

4. According to the hotel’s website, breakfast was available for £2.50 per head. In fact we were charged a little under £4.00 per head. I queried this with the waitress and was told that they had outsourced their website and had not got round to updating it!

5. Room service – on our second full day, we returned to our room to find that one teacup had been washed and one had been left unwashed. Also, we had been given one bath towel and no hand towels, for two people. When I pointed this out to a staff member, I was told they had had a problem earlier in the day. My comment: if you are running a hotel, you solve the problem and then carry on from where you left off. You do not forget about it!

6. On leaving the hotel for the last time, it was not possible to drive from the hotel car park to the road as a large industrial-size waste bin had been tipped over and the rubbish was strewn over the hotel’s driveway. The attitude of a member of staff was that “it’s not our problem – the rubbish belongs to the house next door!” (Hello! It’s your hotel’s driveway.) Fortunately, we were able to leave the car park via the adjoining hotel’s driveway.

7. How much were we charged for this experience? - £228.00! By comparison, a few days later we spent the same length of time at the Holiday Inn Express in the same area of Leeds and the cost was £212.00 (breakfast and all mod cons included). Chalk and cheese!

8. To cap it all, there was a framed ‘Les Routiers’ certificate in The Butlers Hotel’s reception area.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank bloggo
Nottingham
Reviewed 28 April 2009

Only up in Leeds for one night but would have happily stayed here longer. Staff very friendly and professional, always asking for feedback on facilities and services. Used by contractors who value a solid night's sleep and a good breakfast so no disturbances. They even stocked two types of real ale at the bar!

• Stayed April 2009, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Headingley
Haley's Hotel and Restaurant
Ibis Leeds Centre
Ibis Leeds Centre
#28 of 86 in Leeds
Hotel ibis budget Leeds Centre

Been to The Butlers Hotel? Share your experiences!