“Badly in need of a good clean”
Review of Oak Villa Hotel

Oak Villa Hotel
Oak Villa Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Headingley B&B and Inns
Reviewed 26 July 2013

We stayed at this B&b for one night with our daughter. We were in a 3 bedded attic room. The room was badly in need of a good clean. There were areas where the Hoover had not been able to clean and these were thick with dust and grime. It was also badly in need of redecorating. Ceiling wallpaper falling off. The quilt on the double bed was for a single bed. There were only 2 bath towels and no hand towels in the room. The furniture was very dated. The noise from the traffic did not stop all night. Consequently we could not sleep. Staff not at all friendly. Breakfast was ok. Would not recommend this.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank Ursula B

Reviewed 22 July 2013

Staying here was like going back to the 60's as this was probably when the hotel last saw a coat of paint and new linen. Stayed for one night at a busy time of year, so choices were limited, and the price was very good for this area. Arrived at 10pm and had to ring for entry; apart from the waitress at breakfast we saw no staff so can't comment on service. Room was very cramped and dated, like staying in an elderly aunt's spare bedroom! Although the bedding and surfaces were clean, the sheets and towels were threadbare and the room hadn't seen a good turn-out for many months. There were areas of deep grime if you went looking for it. The bathroom was small and dated, with a fully fitted carpet (yuk) and not much in the way of toiletries. The small double bed was uncomfortable but I was very tired so managed to sleep through the creaky floors above and the traffic to the shared bathroom just along the hall. Breakfast wasn't much good, no choice, poor quality ingredients, about the same standard as in the supermarket up the road. The building and grounds are beautiful and the place would make a lovely small hotel if carefully upgraded, but for now it's only virtue is the price. You get what you pay for.

Room Tip: Ask to see more than one room if possible, it's clear that some are much better than others
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank smferguson678
Reviewed 25 June 2013 via mobile

Gosh, let me start with the positives: the Polish girl on duty did her best, the location was handy for Leeds city centre, there was plenty of parking and our two dogs were welcomed. The building and grounds are actually lovely, with some nice features (stain-glass windows, high ceilings etc).
I feel that this hotel was probably beautiful in its time but, alas, maintenance has been neglected and it feels depressing and unloved. Generally, it was presented fairly, but if you looked closely it was in need of a good clean. Our room was tiny, the bed and pillows were uncomfortable and there was a lot of traffic noise.
Breakfast was basic in the extreme, unhealthy and with no choice ( your egg was fried and your toast white).
I think if you can take it for what it is, given the price etc. and you are a backpacker or on a student budget then it is just about ok, although I wouldn't stay there again.

• Stayed: June 2013
2  Thank Cagsy69
Reviewed 23 June 2013

I stayed for two nights with my partner to celebrate my birthday.Wish we did not bother as the room we stayed in was filthy and very dated also there was bad reception on tv plus stains on the bathroom tiles.The tea and coffee provided was poor the breakfast was very basic.We will definitely not be staying here again...

Room Tip: don't go!!!
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank tralou72
Reviewed 5 May 2013 via mobile

Ok so the good points, service was not bad and location is fairly good. Wasn't overly expensive and you do kinda pay for what you get.

The bad, the mattress was old, skanky, spring loaded and I got flea bites on my legs. Was really tired when I went to bed and only got a few hours sleep because of it.

Do yourself a favour, pay a bit more and stay somewhere else, unless you like being the main course for a family of fleas.

• Stayed: May 2013
2  Thank Kevin_the_reviewer
Reviewed 23 April 2013

I was very disappointed I will complain if I feel I have to owners should listen to customer . The room ceiling paper peeling off the coffee and tea facilities tray was dirty dry blood on my pillow took it down on the Sunday when I was about to leave the owner when I was mentioning a few things did not seem very interested offer me anything . A lot of hotels would offer customer something as an apology ..The first morning breakfast toast had stale taste was better on the Sunday .

• Stayed: March 2013
1  Thank Golding25
Reviewed 5 April 2013

I came to Headingleŷ to visit my son, but the accommodation ( though I have had worse accommodation), was not what was advertised! No bar and no wifi though both were advertised and a shred bathroom, though I have not had the same since the 1980's! Really disappointed with no wifi!!!!!!!

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Chris P
Also consider these accommodations in or near Headingley
Village Hotel Leeds North
#3 of 9 in Headingley
Bridge Farm Hotel
Bridge Farm Hotel
#4 of 26 in Leeds

Been to Oak Villa Hotel? Share your experiences!