“Great place to stay away from the hussle of the city centre...”
Review of Cliff Lawn Hotel

Cliff Lawn Hotel
Ranked #5 of 9 Hotels in Headingley
Reviewed 11 March 2012

I was greeted with a smile from the receptionist and was interested in what my plans were for the evening :-). The hotel is an amazing old victorian building and has kept most of its character inside and out. I had booked a single room for 1 night B&B, my room was on the second floor (22) it was a double bed with ensuite bathroom with shower, very clean and just perfect.
Breakfast was very good,with a selection of fruit, cereal yoghurt, toast fruit juices, coffee, tea and a choice of full english cooked breakfast or smoked salmon with scrambled eggs.
Great location for various events just out of the city centre but in walkable reach approx 35mins on foot. Plenty of spaces to park your car in the grounds.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business

Reviewed 18 February 2012

This is indeed a lovely place to stay if you have kids at Uni in Leeds. A beautiful building, well-equipped (if compact) rooms. Breakfast was really nice-fresh and hot- and I arrived for mine 3 minutes befoire they stopped serving. Quiet but efficient staff. Plumbing is a little intrusive but would stay again when I am in Leeds. Lovely gardens even in February and convenient for public transpoort even if you do not have a car. A little more information on local eateries might have been welcome.

Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 14 February 2012

I have stayed at the Cliff Lawn before and was very pleased. This time I stayed with my other half and we were both very satisfied with the hotel. A friendly manager, very efficient staff, attention to cleanliness, excellent breakfast, very nice room...what more can I add? The location suits us very well indeed for visits to my son and family.

Wish there was a dog friendly room in the hotel, but fully understand why not.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 5 February 2012

We have stayed at the Cliff Lawn on many occasions while visiting our son at Leeds University. The hotel is ideally placed, a mere 10 minutes walk from the University, meaning that once you have arrived you can leave your car in the hotel car park for the duration of your stay in the city.
Although only breakfast is provided (and it is excellent) there are countless restaurants within walking distance or a short drive away. The rooms, now all recently refurbished, are comfortable, warm and well-equipped, and we always feel as if we are revisiting old friends when we arrive. A stay here is extremely good value and we are delighted that our second son has chosen Leeds Uni too as it means more visits to the Cliff Lawn!

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank SJSYorks
Reviewed 31 December 2011

I stayed at the cliff lawn for 2 nights mid December for a birthday treat and was very pleasantly surprised by the high standards. The two people on reception were lovely and gave me a very friendly greeting, the manager Terry going out of his way to help me and my group with our bags and the young Thai lady was very helpful in sorting out travel arrangements for us. The rooms were large and very comfortable and very clean, as were the en suite bathrooms. Breakfast was absolutely delicious. The Thai lady on reception even went out of her way to provide me with a free birthday bottle of wine (without me even requesting) which I thought was a splendid touch. Overall I was incredibly impressed with the hotel and I will most definitely be staying there again the next time I am in Leeds.

• Stayed: December 2011
Reviewed 5 November 2011

Our overall experience of this hotel was great: we had a relatively spacious twin room, good views of the pretty hotel garden, enjoyed the quiet location and fairly easy access to town (20/30 min walk or 6 pound taxi). The breakfast was good, the rooms very clean and grea tto have free wi-fi: overall really excellent value for money and we'd certainly come again. Unfortunately our initial impressions were slightly soured by not particularly welcoming service at reception: we were grateful to have been allowed to check in early, but although our host at reception noticed our large suitcase and apologised for only having a room up on the second floor, he did not offer to help us with our luggage (or explain why he could not help us, if there was a reason) and it was quite a struggle taking it up the narrow stairs to the room. The woman in the office did not even make eye contact with us.. This was not the 'family friendly atmosphere' as written in the hotel brochure.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank se238
Reviewed 31 October 2011

The slight shabby Victorian Gothic exterior of Cliff Lawn Hotel with its gargoyles and turrets may look like something from Edgar Allen Poe but inside it is warm, clean and comfortable. Our room was excellently appointed and our only slight problem was the rather noisy plumbing. It's situated on a quiet road within easy reach of the University. There's plenty of parking space in the grounds. The breakfast was fine with good coffee and plenty of choice. Free Wi-Fi access too. Altogether, it's very good value for money and we would stay there again.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Headingley
Headingley Lodge
#3 of 9 in Headingley
Ascot Grange Hotel
#1 of 9 in Headingley
Weetwood Hall Hotel
#35 of 87 in Leeds
Holbeck
Doubletree by Hilton Hotel Leeds City Centre

Been to Cliff Lawn Hotel? Share your experiences!