“Graduation Day”
Review of Cliff Lawn Hotel

Cliff Lawn Hotel
Ranked #5 of 9 Hotels in Headingley
Reviewed 24 July 2014 via mobile

Another excellent stay at Cliff Lawn - a warm welcome, well-appointed rooms (including a very good shower in ours) and delicious and substantial breakfasts. The garden is looking particularly beautiful at the moment and was a joy to sit out in and chat to fellow guests.

Stayed: July 2014

Reviewed 23 July 2014

For the most part I enjoyed my stay at Cliff Lawn, though I don't really feel like I got my moneys worth. The building and grounds are pretty and have character, but on the inside the rooms are in need of refurbishment and a bit rough around the edges. The breakfast was tasty and served up very efficiently which was helpful in order for an early start, but despite saying so on the menu and website, they were unable to serve me a vegetarian breakfast which was annoying.

Location was a little out of the way, but if you want somewhere peaceful it is just about within walking distance of the city centre if you're feeling energetic.

Overall it's pleasant enough, it just feels like a basic b&b, and I expected a little more for a hotel in a slightly higher price bracket.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 20 July 2014

I stayed here for 3 nights while visiting Leeds for the first time for the 2014 Tour de France opening stage. The Tour books up most hotels a year ahead of time, so this was the closest nice hotel I could find within my budget, but was still over 2 miles from the city center so I had to take the bus or a taxi back & forth which wasn't a bad journey. It is still quite a walk from the nearest bus stop or any restaurants, uphill, so take good walking shoes if you stay here & don't have a car. It's a one mile walk or so to the very small Burley Park train station (which I made), which is closer than the main Leeds station. The exterior of the hotel & garden is grand & lovely. Other positives:
- Good breakfast options & times in a nice setting
- Free working WiFi in rooms
- Ensuite bathroom
- Nice staff that helped me call for a taxi when needed since I couldn't make calls
- They take credit cards instead of just cash like many other B&Bs
- Tea tray & cookies provided each day
- Lots of parking space if you did have a car

Things that I thought could be improved upon for the future:
- During my entire 3-week England stay this hotel had the most uncomfortable bed I stayed in; it was extremely hard, like a board, & you could feel the springs. Definitely invest in new more comfortable mattresses. This was definitely a big drawback for me & made it hard to get a good night's sleep.
- Better blackout shades/curtains needed so one doesn't wake with the sun at 4:20 AM each morning in summertime
- Lack of adequate hot water when taking a shower; it would just last for a few minutes and then diminish
- My room only had a small shower and not a tub, I prefer both when possible
- Provide Kleenex/facial tissue & facial washcloths
- I had to ask for extra towels since I was only given one small bath and one small hand towel; provide more than one of each in each room, we need them.

This hotel is in the middle of the university area, so I met some parents staying there that said it was a convenient location for them when visiting their students. Otherwise, I'm afraid I'd have to say this is just an adequate hotel but I'm not sure I'd pick it again due to location inconveniences (for what I needed) and quality of room/sleep accommodations.

Room Tip: I had a second-floor room which overlooked the front gardens which was a pleasant view.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank AntK13
Reviewed 8 July 2014

Large, spacious rooms and bathrooms. Very quiet location but convenient for the main Otley road and access to the city and University. Excellent parking. Good cooked breakfasts. Nice terrace and garden. Very accommodating for a late arrival.

Stayed here whilst visiting our son who is at the University and living nearby in Hyde Park.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 6 July 2014

We chose this hotel due to its close proximity to Leeds Uni. Although it was initially difficult to find (due to our Tom Tom failing to direct us there!) we were delighted with its position and rooms etc. We had a very pleasant double en suite room and our twins shared a delightfully spacious twin bedded ensuite room. Breakfast was far superior to what we were expecting, with a good choice of fruit juices and cereals as well as a great choice for the cooked option. They also offered scrambled eggs and smoked salmon. The staff were friendly too. Will definitely consider staying here again should either of my twins choose Leeds for their Uni.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 25 June 2014

Stayed here on the 23rd June for a Leeds Arena visit as we didn't want to stay in the city centre. We walked to the arena which took us about 30mins.Our room was located near the reception but it was quiet and staff are very friendly. The Hotel itself is in need of a lick of paint and the grounds are pretty but need tidying up. Our room No2 wasn't as clean as I would have liked . The bedding was clean and so was the bathroom, but there were marks on the carpet and grubby areas on the doors where hands had been which really would have wiped off. Shame, cos it spoilt the appearance of overall what was a nice room.We had an excellent breakfast the next day. We would stay again.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank sandy999amb
Reviewed 24 June 2014

Have just returned from a two night stay in order to watch the cricket test match at Headingley. The hotel was perfectly situated down a very quiet street. We had a good twin room, nice shower and were set up for the day with an excellent breakfast . Good location for university, city centre and other Leeds venues.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank twitcherjune
Also consider these accommodations in or near Headingley
Headingley Lodge
Dakota Deluxe Leeds
#1 of 87 in Leeds
Holbeck
Doubletree by Hilton Hotel Leeds City Centre

Been to Cliff Lawn Hotel? Share your experiences!