“A good hotel, but no evening meal ”
Review of Cliff Lawn Hotel

Cliff Lawn Hotel
Ranked #5 of 9 Hotels in Headingley
“A good hotel, but no evening meal ”
Reviewed 6 August 2014 via mobile

I've stayed here a few times now, it's ok got all the things that you need, large carpark, good wifi, comfortable beds, good shower's, and a good breakfast.
All the rooms have been cleaned that I've stayed in.
The only thing that let's it down is that they don't do evening meals, but they are some good restaurants about with in walking distance

Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Andrew T

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 July 2014

I stayed here with my wife and mum overnight. The place is well located in a very quiet road yet only a fiver away in a cab to Leeds town centre.
The hotel is spacious as are the rooms and the beds, the matresses are good quality, you have tea and coffee facilities in your room.
The breakfast is really excellant with a great choice, afterwards we sat in the grounds reading the papers and chilling out before leaving.
This is a great option and well priced overall. I would use again.
P.S Free WIFI is a good speed as well.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank 736Karl
Redhill
Reviewed 26 July 2014

Have stayed at this hotel before as location is great for meeting up with my daughter at Leeds university. The room was ok, nothing special just a bit dated and dirty doors. Looked out on to a patio area which needed weeding. Very hot in room but then it was a very hot day & evening. Paid more for this room than before but looked liked all we got was another bed in the room which we didn't need. Breakfast is very good freshly cooked English breakfast and coffee.

Room Tip: Previously stayed on first floor level which was a better room than the ground floor room we stayed...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Geneva
Reviewed 24 July 2014 via mobile

Another excellent stay at Cliff Lawn - a warm welcome, well-appointed rooms (including a very good shower in ours) and delicious and substantial breakfasts. The garden is looking particularly beautiful at the moment and was a joy to sit out in and chat to fellow guests.

Stayed July 2014
Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 July 2014

For the most part I enjoyed my stay at Cliff Lawn, though I don't really feel like I got my moneys worth. The building and grounds are pretty and have character, but on the inside the rooms are in need of refurbishment and a bit rough around the edges. The breakfast was tasty and served up very efficiently which was helpful in order for an early start, but despite saying so on the menu and website, they were unable to serve me a vegetarian breakfast which was annoying.

Location was a little out of the way, but if you want somewhere peaceful it is just about within walking distance of the city centre if you're feeling energetic.

Overall it's pleasant enough, it just feels like a basic b&b, and I expected a little more for a hotel in a slightly higher price bracket.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Austin, Texas
Reviewed 20 July 2014

I stayed here for 3 nights while visiting Leeds for the first time for the 2014 Tour de France opening stage. The Tour books up most hotels a year ahead of time, so this was the closest nice hotel I could find within my budget, but was still over 2 miles from the city center so I had to take the bus or a taxi back & forth which wasn't a bad journey. It is still quite a walk from the nearest bus stop or any restaurants, uphill, so take good walking shoes if you stay here & don't have a car. It's a one mile walk or so to the very small Burley Park train station (which I made), which is closer than the main Leeds station. The exterior of the hotel & garden is grand & lovely. Other positives:
- Good breakfast options & times in a nice setting
- Free working WiFi in rooms
- Ensuite bathroom
- Nice staff that helped me call for a taxi when needed since I couldn't make calls
- They take credit cards instead of just cash like many other B&Bs
- Tea tray & cookies provided each day
- Lots of parking space if you did have a car

Things that I thought could be improved upon for the future:
- During my entire 3-week England stay this hotel had the most uncomfortable bed I stayed in; it was extremely hard, like a board, & you could feel the springs. Definitely invest in new more comfortable mattresses. This was definitely a big drawback for me & made it hard to get a good night's sleep.
- Better blackout shades/curtains needed so one doesn't wake with the sun at 4:20 AM each morning in summertime
- Lack of adequate hot water when taking a shower; it would just last for a few minutes and then diminish
- My room only had a small shower and not a tub, I prefer both when possible
- Provide Kleenex/facial tissue & facial washcloths
- I had to ask for extra towels since I was only given one small bath and one small hand towel; provide more than one of each in each room, we need them.

This hotel is in the middle of the university area, so I met some parents staying there that said it was a convenient location for them when visiting their students. Otherwise, I'm afraid I'd have to say this is just an adequate hotel but I'm not sure I'd pick it again due to location inconveniences (for what I needed) and quality of room/sleep accommodations.

Room Tip: I had a second-floor room which overlooked the front gardens which was a pleasant view.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank AntK13
Esher, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 July 2014

Large, spacious rooms and bathrooms. Very quiet location but convenient for the main Otley road and access to the city and University. Excellent parking. Good cooked breakfasts. Nice terrace and garden. Very accommodating for a late arrival.

Stayed here whilst visiting our son who is at the University and living nearby in Hyde Park.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Headingley
Leeds City Centre
The Chambers Park Place
Ascot Grange Hotel
#1 of 9 in Headingley
Headingley Lodge
#3 of 9 in Headingley
The Queens - Leeds
#11 of 87 in Leeds

Been to Cliff Lawn Hotel? Share your experiences!