“Very good value”

Ranked #5 of 9 Hotels in Headingley
East Yorkshire
“Very good value”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 September 2009

I visited Leeds for a night out on the town with a mate and just wanted a relatively cheap hotel with good parking to stay at the end of the night. We booked a twin room at the Cliff Lawn hotel for £55 which was much cheaper than the centrally located hotels and parking was free, oh and it only cost £4.50 for taxi into the centre.

The hotel has recently been renovated with just a small bit left to finish over the next couple of months which shouldn't affect guests. The hotel is very clean, bright and welcoming. It is set in some lovely tended grounds and in what appears to be a quiet location.

Our room, was on the top floor and was certainly large enough for us not to feel cramped. The room had been recently decorated and was clean, fresh and bright.

The bathroom had been tastefully decorated and fitted with good quality bath suite with over bath shower. The shower had plenty of hot water and the water pressure was good. The bathroom was very clean and the heated towel rail was on throughout our stay making the bathroom very comfortable and warm.

Breakfast of full English in the newly renovated dining room was very tasty and not too greasy although after a night on the town i would have liked it a bit later than 9.30 on a Sunday morning. There was also a good selection of cereals, fruit and fruit juice.

The staff were extremely friendly and efficient and the manager (owner?) was very helpful and made us feel welcome as soon as we walked into the hotel.

Overall, I enjoyed the stay however brief it was. The building appears to have been lovingly restored keeping a lot of its original features. It gives it character and charm but with a modern fresh, clean cut, bright look to it. I think it was well worth the money and really good value and would definitely stay again if I was invited back to Leeds for another night out.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Blackpool
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2009

When I phoned this hotel, I said I was disable and could not manage stairs, they said they had rooms on the ground floor, so we booked a room.
Imagine my dismay when I arrived to find that the only access to the hotel was up seven steps, and no hand rail. The another three steps into the hotel.
I have complained but up to now have not had a reply, So be warned!

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 June 2009

A wonderful hotel, so comfortable, with friendly helpful staff, and a brilliantly tranquil feeling yet so close to the city centre :)

Our room was very comfy, with views of the lovely garden, and the breakfast was excellent and served so quickly! The hotel manager gave us some helpful advice on visiting Elland Road, and the rest of the staff were cheerful and polite. And with free wireless internet in every room as well, keeping in touch with home was so easy!

This may not be the most ultra-modern hotel, but its certainly one that I will return to again and again, and I can't think of a bad word to say about it. We've already booked our next visit!

• Stayed April 2009, travelled with friends
California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 September 2008

We had a lovely two-night stay at the Cliff Lawn. We had a double en suite room that had just been redecorated. It had a great view of the garden and was large enough for two people not to feel in any way cramped. It smelled of paint, perhaps due to some off-season renovating, but opening the window a crack took care of that. We found our room and the hotel overall to be very quiet. There was no electrical outlet in the bathroom, which made plugging in the hair drier in front of mirror a challenge. There was also no toilet paper holder. The roll was rather eccentrically hung from the top of the towel drying rack. Perhaps the renovations to this room are ongoing and this will be fixed before long. The shower was extremely clean, though it took quite a bit of time for the hot water to come through.

We had no trouble with noise from other guests, despite several staying in adjoining rooms and directly overhead. The neighborhood is residential and very quiet, at least off-term which is when we were there. The breakfast, while perhaps not of the textbook “full English” variety, was hot, tasty and included in the rate. The breakfast area and comfy sitting room area overlooked a beautiful garden huge fuchsia bushes, busy squirrels and (I think) magpies. Free wifi Internet access is available both in the guest rooms and common sitting areas.

There are no elevators in the facility so if you have a lot of luggage be prepared to lug your bags up the steps. You may also need to search around for your room as the upper floors are a bit of a labyrinth. A bus running down Woodhouse Lane takes you directly into Leeds or Headingly for £1.10. It’s a bit of a walk down Cliff Road to the station – between a quarter- and half-mile – so put on your comfy shoes. It was raining most of our stay, so we took a taxi to Leeds, which cost about £6.00. Hotel staff was always on hand to call the taxi.

Stayed September 2008
1 Thank BillStickers_7
leicester
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 August 2008

My wife and I stayed at this hotel from 21st to 23rd of August to watch the international cricket match being played at Headingley.
We specially chose this hotel due to its good location to Headingley Carnegie stadium which is about 30 mins walk away.

This hotel is at best a B&B or Guest House based on standards and appearance and for the same price you can easily find a 4 plus star hotel in the centre of Leeds.
On arrival I was told that our original room has had a bad leak due to the rain and that we were therefore put in room 12 which has just been refurbished and redecorated but that there may well be a few ''teething'' issues. This room looked pretty good and we were obviously the first people to stay there as the smell of paint was still heavily lingering in the air and everything looked very new and ''fresh''. On the first night our power tripped out in our room and the manageress (owner?) could not find our switchboard to switch our power back on! We were then offered room 5 instead. Upon inspection this was found to be outdated and the mould in the shower was pretty disgusting to say the least so we just went straight to bed in our dark original room with no power. The next morning power was restored. We had a bit of a bad chest due to the paint fumes. This room was good but based on what I saw in room 5 I'm not so sure about the other rooms.
Breakfast was good and gets served from 7-9 am during the week and 07:30-09:30 on weekends. No complaints.
The rest of the hotel was very outdated and the gardens needed sorting out.
Overall this hotel will not see me again.

• Liked — New room
  • Disliked — Outdated
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank gkoekemoer
nottingham
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2008

An hotel that needs to update. It is situated in the student area of Leeds and therefore caters for their family and visitors who are mindful of their budget.
However we found the facilities needed attention. The bed headboard was dusty. The shower and loo were a saniflow system that was very noisy. The shower was very compact.
I am sure they could do a lot better by refurbishing the place but this could price them out of their student family market.
Breakfast was less than average. The fried and poached eggs were undercooked and the portions were less than generous.
To sum up, I would not stay again. I would rather pay another £35.00 per room per night at the crowne plaza and get a buffet, help youself breakfast that includes all manner of delightsand enjoy the facilities of the pool, jazucci, steam room and sauna (at no extra cost)

• Liked — near to student area and very quiet grounds
  • Disliked — very basic.. needs a good clean and attention to cooking eggs
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank mum53
Aberdeen
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 April 2003

This is an excellent example of a British B&B, and is a great place for exploring Leeds.My Single en-suite room was large enough and functional. The shower-room (no bath) was large and clean. The setting of the hotel is excellent, in a leafy suburb close to the city centre.My only gripe is that the rooms to the rear may suffer from noise from the ventilation flue from the kitchen - but it is turned off at night so will not disturb sleep.The breakfast was excellent. The staff were very friendly and helpful.The points the previous reviewer has made re. privacy are valid, but this is an intimate B&B not a plush 5-star hotel. The area is also nowhere near as run-down as implied - in my opinion the area seemed very posh, albeit a bit eclectic. I have only given it 4 'points' as the full five only go to five star hotels that deliver five star service. But as B&B's go this is a five-star B&B.I would gladly stay here again.

2 Thank getsjunk
Also consider these accommodations in or near Headingley
Leeds City Centre
The Chambers Park Place
Headingley Lodge
#3 of 9 in Headingley
Weetwood Hall Hotel
#29 of 86 in Leeds
Ascot Grange Hotel
#1 of 9 in Headingley

Been to Cliff Lawn Hotel? Share your experiences!