“Good Value for Money”

Ranked #1 of 9 Hotels in Headingley
northants
“Good Value for Money”
Reviewed 23 October 2013

I stayed at the Ascot Grange overnight with friends when visting my son who lives in Adel. The two double rooms we stayed in were large and comfortable.I didn't have the breakfast, but that was only because I had other breakfast plans pre-arranged.
Everthing was clean, the staff friendly and helpful.At £45 per night
good value for money

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
Wylie, Texas
Reviewed 1 October 2013

I stayed at the Ascot Grange for two weeks and it began to feel like home. The double room was spacious and comfortable. Everything was always clean and the staff was very courteous and helpful. I've already made my reservations for my next stay.

Room Tip: The room I was in faced a busy street so with the windows opened it was a bit noisy.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Hull
Reviewed 23 September 2013

We booked a night at the Ascot Grange as we were attending the birthday party ofa friend in headingly. Previous Band B expereiences in this area had been disappointing but the Ascot grange was the icing on the cake.

At £54 for a double room it offers great value. the satff are firendly and helpful, room clean, well lit nad heated and breakfast was great at £% and freshly cooked . You can pay double fora load of stuff just re heated and dumped on hotplates in certain well known chains.

the lounge and bar area is comfortable and well furnished

Location is great, 20 minutes on foot from the cricket and with a cash point across the road. We were delighted and will go back again

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 September 2013

I stayed overnight in a single room, as I was working late one Friday and back in on a Saturday. For a single room, there was quite a lot of space with a good sized wardbrobe and decent desk, so I could have done some work if I'd have needed to. The bed's mattress were comfy, linen of good quality. Very clean. Looked like there was ample car parking space, and extremely well signed so if you were driving to the hotel, it'd be easy to find.

The reception staff were courteous and offered help, for instance offering information about the local area. I didn't have the breakfast, but that was only because I had other breakfast plans pre-arranged.

All in all, a good option if you need to stay in North Leeds (for example, visiting friends/family in Leeds / Leeds Met halls, watching cricket at Headingley...)

Room Tip: As others have mentioned, this is an older, Victorian property and I didn't see a lift, so if yo...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
Warrington, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 September 2013

I paid my hotel fee in full on arrival £108, all was fine. Once I get home i find out they are charging me an extra £54 for a no show! I contact booking.com to find out what is going on only to find they are claiming I left without paying the bill!
Luckily I kept the reciept to proove I did actually pay. Still I won't be staying here again and if you do certainly don't let them have your card details!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Damian M
Middlesbrough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 September 2013

Stayed one night to attend cricket match at Headingley Stadium. It's no five star hotel, but it is clean, tidy and extremely good value. I received a warm welcome from the staff, and for the price paid, I cannot fault this hotel. I will use again when visiting Leeds.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
Yorkshire
Reviewed 27 July 2013

I stayed in a single room at a weekend.
The building is presumably from the Victorian era. There can be windy corridors and a lot of stairs. Check regarding access if you aren't too good on your feet as I'm not sure that there is a lift.
My initial reaction when entering was that it was very dated, but this really is due to the era of its architecture. In fact, from what I saw, fixtures & fittings, carpets and paintwork, etc. are in good condition.
My room was a largely good experience. Carpets, bedding and towels look brand new. The room looked more like an elegant bedroom from a large, old home. However, there was a very strong smell of cigarettes (despite it being non-smoking throughout) and this smell was stronger in the bathroom. If it was due to cigarettes they should have aired the room before using it. If it is something to do with cleaning products, they should change the type that they use.
The bathroom was tiny (not a problem) but rather than tile the walls, they had sort of plastic wall paper which was peeling at the edges, and laminated boards in the shower cubicle. Also, the cleaner clearly hadn't dusted behind the radiator and pipes as furred-up dust was clearly visible. Other signs of superficial cleaning in the room were visible.
Not sure if all beds are identical, but mine was incredibly comfortable. I'd swap it for my bed at home in a flash! It was a duvet, which made it easier to sleep as I am used to them. Not sure whether the quilt inside the cover would get cleaned between guests...
Sleep quality was let down a tad due to very creaky floorboards in the room above. If my neighbours moved, I heard it. If you are used to silence, this can be a problem.
Wifi in the bedroom is a good touch.

Breakfast, which cost extra, was nice and reasonably good value. It was a classic - cereals, toast and jams, hot English. The buffet element wasn't extravagantly large, but for £5 I don't mind. It is less wasteful and it covered my needs.
The hot element is done to order, and was good - but not wildly large. As there was only a one hour slot for breakfast, the cook and waiter had to get them all ready at similar times, and the waiter apologised in turn for the wait when he arrived.

My experience of all staff was that they were conscientious (with the caveat about the room cleaning) and friendly.

Room Tip: If you or companions are not good on your feet, ring ahead re. more easily accessible rooms.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Britboyslim
Also consider these accommodations in or near Headingley
Haley's Hotel and Restaurant
Best Western Plus Milford Hotel
The Butlers Hotel
The Butlers Hotel
#8 of 9 in Headingley

Been to Ascot Grange Hotel? Share your experiences!