“Great rooms, shame about the door slamming”
Review of Headingley Lodge

Headingley Lodge
Ranked #3 of 9 Hotels in Headingley
Cotswolds, United Kingdom
“Great rooms, shame about the door slamming”
Reviewed 16 November 2012

A quick trip up to visit my daughter at university. It's easy enough to find, the reception staff were lovely and helpful.

The room was a great size and the views over on to Headingley cricket pitch were worth the money.

Sadly, I found it somewhat noisy late at night when people were returning to their rooms. It wasn't the talking, it was the doors slamming and banging. Common enough in hotels, but I don't know if it was the layout but it seemed noisier than usual. Bed was comfortable enough though.

Breakfast was a strange affair - at a weekend you had to "book" a Continental breakfast to eat in your room. I ate out with my daughter at a student cafe - Dare's! in Headingley. Breakfast was fantastic (£9.90 for a full cooked, tea and coffee and two rounds of toast for two of us).

• Stayed November 2012, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
Reviewed 15 November 2012 via mobile

We stayed for one night for a family party in the headingley complex. Room was very nice, large and clean with lovely bathroom. View from the room was excellent. We found reception staff to be helpful, receptionist on duty gave us useful advice about getting the bus into leeds city centre. Secure parking was excellent too. All in all a very pleasant stay and we would recommend this hotel!

• Stayed November 2012
Liverpool
Reviewed 29 October 2012 via mobile

Booked this at the last minute and got a room for £40 and was very happy with the room and the service. Free parking and close to Headingley but best thing was view from the room onto the cricket pitch. Had breakfast at the Carnegie Cafe which was a bit confusing. I would not go for the hotel offer just pay for what you order. Food was freshly cooked and good value. Would definitely stay here again.

Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
Perth
Reviewed 14 October 2012

At the time of booking, Headingley was cheaper than the Travel Lodge in the centre. It was much the same quality as a Travel Lodge but with the added bonus of having a lovely view of LCCC outside your window. The bathroom was great and the room was clean. I'm not sure if this was just my personal experience, but it did get quite noisy at night as there seemed to be a lot of groups using the hotel after going out in Leeds.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
Cardiff
Reviewed 12 October 2012

I seem to be going against the grain with this review. I booked the hotel for one night for me and my daughter before I dropped her at her university halls for the first time. It was an emotional occasion so I wanted somewhere reasonably nice. When I saw the reviews, I decided this was a good choice.
However, I found the place completely soulless. I should have done more research but we seemed to be paying a decent amount so I wrongly assumed there would be a restaurant, bar....sadly I even took my clothes for the non-existent gym!. The room looked out onto the cricket pitch which was a novelty and the decor etc was ok. There were no net curtains so we had to draw the curtains to get changed away from the view of grounds staff.
Because it's inside the gates to the cricket ground and everything else was closed we felt a bit isolated. Breakfast was a chewy croissant (I can't remember whether it was in a plastic bag or not but it certainly tasted like one of those pre-wrapped ones), some orange juice, a diet yoghurt and some cereal which we got to choose in advance.
I would say it's similar in quality to a Travelodge in Newport where a friend of mine recently booked a family room for £19, only we were paying £65 for a twin. Yes, we did have a lovely view of an empty cricket ground but next time I'd opt instead for a few home comforts.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank BECCardiff
Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 October 2012

This hotel is excellent value for money,with the added bonus of the view over the cricket ground.Super location if you have children at the University.Great selection of restaurants nearby .Secure parking an added bonus.Train service into Leeds within walking distance .Hotel staff very friendly .Will certainly be staying here again .Booked through late rooms and got a brilliant rate .

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
Great Bowden, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 September 2012

I reviewed this unusual hotel at the end of last year (unusual because of its cricket ground location), but having stayed there again last night – this time in a refurbished room – felt it appropriate to quickly review again. Everything's as good as before, but the room we had was a bit smarter than last time and I think the bed was probably better. I understand that not all rooms have yet been refurbished, but they're working their way through them. Mind you, prices have gone up a bit too for the refurbished rooms, but for such spacious accommodation, large beds, peace and quite, wonderful view and secure on site parking I don't think you'll beat it in Leeds. Location is good too, with lots of eating places, pubs and bars in easy walking distance. Still highly recommended.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Headingley
Ascot Grange Hotel
#1 of 9 in Headingley
Weetwood Hall Hotel
#36 of 87 in Leeds
The Butlers Hotel
#8 of 9 in Headingley
Holbeck
Doubletree by Hilton Hotel Leeds City Centre

Been to Headingley Lodge? Share your experiences!