“Bland and a bit noisy but excellent novelty value”
Review of Headingley Lodge

Headingley Lodge
Ranked #3 of 9 Hotels in Headingley
Reviewed 13 December 2012

We stayed for one night in early December 2012. The attraction of course (for me at least) was the fact that the rooms here look out onto the cricket pitch, facing the infamous Western Terrace, which brought back some memories of the South Africa test a few years ago and a Ghostbuster outfit.

The place itself is standardly bland and soulless but it's clean, tidy and comfortable, beds and showers are great. Without the novelty of location it would be nothing special, but it is competitively priced in comparision to the presumably less salubrious B&Bs of Cardigan Road. Unfortunately, because it was Christmas party season, the noise from the function in the main room on the floor below was really intrusive. I hate hearing I Will Survive/It's Raining Men/Dancing Queen et al if I'm at the actual event, let alone through layers of steel and concrete. We phoned down to ask what time the function was due to finish, and the night staff came up and moved us further along the corridor where the noise levels were much quieter. No complaints regarding the service here from the staff on duty but in general the management really need to consider letting rooms out that are close to the function suite as it really wasn't acceptable at all. Also, as the hotel clearly wan't that busy, I'm surprised they didn't allocate rooms furthest away from the function suite. The apology from the receptionist upon checkout was utterly disingenous to the point of being offensive, "I'm sorry to hear that. That's £55 please" but other than this the staff were friendly and really helpful. Oh, and the lift stinks horribly of food as it's clearly used to serve the function room as well.

I am from Leeds so stubbornly I'll defend the place and say if you like cricket it's well worth the novelty. Not sure I'd stay again though.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 6 December 2012

I stayed as a single visitor on a recent business trip in a double room. I arrived during the early evening to an empty reception and had to wait several minutes for anyone to book me in. There was no means of signaling my arrival so I resorted to ringing them whilst stood in the reception! Once someone arrived, they were very efficient and helpfully provided information regarding local eateries.
The room was large and airy. Bed was comfortable and room was clean and warm. Bathroom was slightly worse condition with black staining to some of the sealant around the bottom tiles of the shower. However, the furniture was spotless and the towels clean and large! The shower was hot and powerful. Water had a slightly sulphurous odour, though not from the basin taps.
As other contributors have recorded, the problem here is one of noise. The walls are very thin and vibrate noticeably when the neighbouring door closes, invariable with a loud bang. Take ear plugs and you'll be fine!
This hotel was booked for me rather than by me. Would I use it again? Probably if I needed a one night stopover but not by choice as a lone traveller, mostly because of the lack of dining facilities which was an inconvenience to me.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Auds632
Reviewed 4 December 2012

We stayed for two nights 30th Nov - 2nd Dec 2012.

The first night, we were in room 217, which was in great condition, nice and clean.
However, during the night 3.30am - 5am - we found we were in the middle of the most noisy, disrespectful and very loud (screaming, singing, etc) parties (in rooms 218 and 216).

We tolerated it for a while, before calling reception. The lady did bang on their door, and they quietened for a while, but it continued.

The next day, we asked the lady on reception if the parties were staying, she said yes, so we asked for a room change, which happened for us.

We moved to 203, the opposite side of the hotel which thankfully was much quieter in the night. The condition of the room was a bit worse than the previous - stained ceiling panels, cracked wash basin and cracked tiles in the bathroom.

The hotel itself was fine, the service in response to the noise was fine,it's just a shame that the decent price means loud, disrespectful people as mentioned above feel the need to stay there too.

Would suggest the hotel query the nature of bookings - i.e. business, hen night, stag do, etc etc and place people accordingly.

TOP TIP - for breakfast, walk out of the hotel, turn left along Cardigan Road, when you reach the end, turn right - on the right hand side there is "Temptations Cafe" - the mega breakfast is well worth a try, and at 6.50 is less than the cold offering at the hotel.
It takes about 3 minutes walking at a normal pace!

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 November 2012

Needing somewhere cheap and cheerful in Leeds, I stumbled across this by accident. Priced at the budget end of the hotel range, your room is the formulaic modern day budget hotel: comfortable, clean, well-maintained. However, it will be named after a famous Yorkshire cricketer, and when you look out of your window the reason is clear - the vista is the Headingley cricket ground. For cricket fans to stay here is a must.

Unlike the hotels in the centre of Leeds, parking is free and secure,

If I had a criticism, it is that the room sound-proofing is poor, but that's pretty typical for most modern-built budget hotels and didn't detract from my stay at all.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 16 November 2012

A quick trip up to visit my daughter at university. It's easy enough to find, the reception staff were lovely and helpful.

The room was a great size and the views over on to Headingley cricket pitch were worth the money.

Sadly, I found it somewhat noisy late at night when people were returning to their rooms. It wasn't the talking, it was the doors slamming and banging. Common enough in hotels, but I don't know if it was the layout but it seemed noisier than usual. Bed was comfortable enough though.

Breakfast was a strange affair - at a weekend you had to "book" a Continental breakfast to eat in your room. I ate out with my daughter at a student cafe - Dare's! in Headingley. Breakfast was fantastic (£9.90 for a full cooked, tea and coffee and two rounds of toast for two of us).

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 15 November 2012 via mobile

We stayed for one night for a family party in the headingley complex. Room was very nice, large and clean with lovely bathroom. View from the room was excellent. We found reception staff to be helpful, receptionist on duty gave us useful advice about getting the bus into leeds city centre. Secure parking was excellent too. All in all a very pleasant stay and we would recommend this hotel!

• Stayed: November 2012
Reviewed 29 October 2012

Booked this at the last minute and got a room for £40 and was very happy with the room and the service. Free parking and close to Headingley but best thing was view from the room onto the cricket pitch. Had breakfast at the Carnegie Cafe which was a bit confusing. I would not go for the hotel offer just pay for what you order. Food was freshly cooked and good value. Would definitely stay here again.

Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Headingley
Ascot Grange Hotel
#1 of 9 in Headingley
Holbeck
Doubletree by Hilton Hotel Leeds City Centre
Weetwood Hall Hotel
#35 of 87 in Leeds
Ibis Leeds Centre
#32 of 87 in Leeds

Been to Headingley Lodge? Share your experiences!