“Great home away from home in the country!!!!”
Review of Avon Lodge B&B

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Sutton Benger
Avon Lodge B&B
sarasota FL
“Great home away from home in the country!!!!”
Reviewed 11 June 2013

I have just scanned all the reviews here and heartily agree with everything I have read. This was by far the greatest place I stayed at in my 10 days throughout England. Carole and Chris could not have been more welcoming, and I so enjoyed talking with them both. They had family in for the weekend, but invited me to meet them and use my internet connection in their private home. How nice is that!!!!

The separate cottage that I stayed in was immaculate. A sunny solarium was the perfect place to read and also dine in the morning. Chris cooks an amazing breakfast that will stay with you all day. There is a full kitchen and living room with plasma tv, but I did not even turn it on.

The bed was perfect and the down comforter so perfect for cool nights. The bath has a claw-footed tub under a skylight. Very special place. They are right next to a working farm, so it was fun to spend the night in the country. I took a walk down to the little church and cemetery near by and that was lovely, as well.

I wanted to go see a pretty village and Chris suggested Castle Combe. It was lovely, but I had to backtrack to see it as it is near Bath, and I had just come from there. Then I went to Avebury, which is about 40 minutes away from Avon Lodge.

It is not the easiest place to find. I suggest turning at the sign where you see the church. It is at the end of the road. My GPS was no help, as it kept trying to direct me south of M4. Call when you get close to get exact directions. I ended up going through one lane roads through high fields to find them, but I eventually did.

Truly, I can not recommend this B and B enough. I kind of hesitate to let the word out, as it will be filled all the time when people find what a bargain it is. I had the entire place to myself and felt like a queen. Thank you Chris and Carole for making this such a special memory!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Oxfordshire
Reviewed 15 May 2013

Well, were do you start with explaining this little gem! The hosts, Carole and Chris, what a wonderful, helpful,friendly couple. Nothing was to much trouble from the moment we arrived until the time we left. The variety and quality of food on offer at breakfast was fantastically cooked and served to us at our leisure. The lovely house was a dream, clean,smelt lovely and furnished to fit all tastes. The beds were very comfortably, we slept like babies and how many B & B's offer a role top bath with a view! it"s even better with a glass of wine! It has all the comforts (and more) than a B&B with the privacy of a hotel room and the cost, we just couldn't believe the value for money they offer. We would definitely come back here and have already recommended it to friends, family and anyone we talk too! Thank you so much Carole and Chris.

Room Tip: Both rooms are fantastic!
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Cwmbran, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 May 2013

We chose to go to Avon lodge as the reviews were excellent. We were not let down. Chris and Carole are wonderful hosts and nothing was too much trouble.The accommodation was spotless and like other reviews really comfortable with the lovely roll top bath looking out onto the countryside.Breakfast delicious cooked by Chris with choices of cereals,yogurts etc.There would be no question where to stop if we were in the area again, it would definitely be Avon Lodge. Thanks Chris and Carole.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Chippenham
Reviewed 24 December 2012

My wife and I enjoyed a lovely night away from home at Avon Lodge. The hosts are great - so friendly and helpful. Breakfast was superb and abundant. Can't speak highly enough of this place. It is about ten minutes drive from M4 J17. The accommodation comprises two bedrooms in a self-contained unit. Would be great for two couples who know each other, or exclusive to one couple as in our case.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
Beckenham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 August 2012

Just a great place to go to switch off for a couple of nights - Carole and Chris look after you royally but the accommodation is outstanding - most amazing bathroom i have ever seen in a guesthouse and so well -equipped - ideal for a two- day break or a place to crash after a tough business day!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 July 2012

We came for the music festival WOMAD in Malmesbury but did not wish to camp in this unpredictable weather! We found this gem by chance and were so lucky! We were welcomed by Carol & Chris' daughter who was really friendly. She gave us a tour of the place and was available for any questions. This is not just a B&B room but rather a flat in an annex with its own kitchen and lounge with a great plasma TV (sadly we didn’t have much time to make full use of the lounge). The bed was very comfortable and so were the towels.
Breakfast was lovely. We chose not to have cooked breakfast, although I understand Chris' cooking is excellent. We had fresh pastries, fresh fruits, toasts, cereals, yogurts, etc.
Chris and Carol were always happy to help and didn’t mind us coming back late in the evening.
They are truly great hosts and I would love to go back to this part of England just to stay there again! Lastly, I will add that compared to other B&Bs in the region, the price is more than reasonable for what you get.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
Sheffield
Reviewed 26 June 2012

Staying here was so different from my experiences of other B&Bs. We had the full use of all the property, situated next to the owners home. It consists of 2 double bedrooms, huge bathroom with country views, lounge/kitchen, conservatory/dining room and downstairs WC. The setting is very peaceful, at the end of a lane in a small village, surrounded by well kept gardens and fields.The whole place is well decorated and spotless, with top quality bedding, towels etc. The hosts, Carole and Chris were very welcoming, and went out of their way to make our stay comfortable. Chris cooked a good breakfast for us in the property, more than enough to see us through the day. (You can choose to cook your own if you prefer, with ingredients provided). We were able to cook indoors and relax one night, and visited the local friendly pub for good food and beer another. Easy to find, and very well placed for visits to Bath, Chippenhametc. A thoroughly enjoyable, relaxing stay at a great price.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
Bell House Hotel
#1 of 1 in Sutton Benger
The Manor House Hotel and Golf Club
The Foxham Inn Bed & Breakfast

Been to Avon Lodge B&B? Share your experiences!