“Very disappointed”
Review of Bell House Hotel

Bell House Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Sutton Benger
Reviewed 11 October 2012

We stayed at the Bell House in September. We are family of 6 and stayed in 4 rooms. The heating did not work in any of the bedrooms so the rooms were freezing cold. When we mentioned this to the owner he said that he wasnt aware of the heating problems, however there are a number of references on this site stating the same. There was only hot water in 1 of the rooms.The shower did not work at all in one of the rooms. One room smelt of burning. The rooms were dated and not cleaned to a high standard. The rooms were not worth the money (£75 for a double room).
Our evening meal was ok, but overpriced and the "full" english breakfast was significantly lacking!
I would not reccomend staying at this B&B and it certainly was not worth the money that we paid.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
There are newer reviews for Bell House Hotel

Reviewed 4 October 2012

We stayed for five days in late September as part of a large family group ranging in age from 4 months to nearly 80 years because we were attending a wedding in a local church.

The new owner was very kind, helpful and attentive to us all. All the staff were extremely friendly and responded well to all our varied needs.

The location close to the M4 is extremely convenient. There are lots of interesting places to visit within a half hour drive (Bath, Avebury, Westonbirt Arboretum). The village of Sutton Benger itself is attractive and the hotel building is historically interesting.

The bedrooms are large with spacious bathrooms. Yes, some of them are looking shabbly but they are comfortable.The restaurant doesn't offer a large menu but the food is well cooked. I was told that the wine and ales were excellent but as a non-drinker I can't verify this.

The hotel had been sadly neglected by the previous owners and the new owner is currently updating the restaurant and will then start on the bedrooms and bathrooms. The current state of the building could best be described as quirky. We are looking forward to returning so that we can enjoy the improvements.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 1 October 2012

I will be seeking my money back for probably the worst night spent in a bed and breakfast ! Looks great on website but just can not deliver.
Exterior is looking very tired looking with paint flaking off the main doors and signs
Arrived and as per a previous reviewer said, there was no one about and I had to wander around to find the owner. The smell inside was horrible, builders were in and the air was pungent with smell of burnt wood.
When originally booked online I was informed I could book an early breakfast but this was cancelled upon arrival as was told the chef's wife was having a baby and could not come in to work.
Was given room 2 (avoid at all costs) straight away I knew things would be bad.. the door looked grubby and inside the fire safety door closure was missing... shocking!! The Fire safety notice on the door was totally useless and smoke alarm was a battery operated one not hard wired... Noticeably there was no heating or hot water the room was very cold and damp as windows do not close correctly.
Numerous lights had blown and some had burn marks on the shades.
Went back down and was told I had to run hot tap until hot water came through (takes around 6 mins) and heating was on a timer and had not come on yet (I checked in around half 3 in afternoon).
The bathroom was disgraceful, an ancient pink suite with stained bath and toilet, broken toilet seat and pubes still in the bath from previous person.. just shocking.
The main room was big with 2 singles and a television so small you have to get out of bed to read the guide.
There was a vanity table with working hairdryer.. but no mirror.. how useful ! Tea and coffee were provided but kettle was still full of old water from previous person.
Went down to bar and it still stunk of burning floor boards, after ordering a drink I enquired about evening food (the person behind the bar suggested I walked up the road to the Wallesley Arms as it was better and cheaper) says it all really ! The menu was far too pretentious for a b&b and when asked could I just get a burger and chips.... no was the reply..
Went to bed early as needed to be up early but then realised room 2 is above the bar and very noisy, even after 11 no respect is given to any other guests and the loud shouting continued till after midnight.
Was woken up again at 3.30 when another guest started slamming doors and put his t.v on, back awake again at 6.00 when other guests also slammed doors and put his t.v on.
In the morning I decided not to shower as I feared the encrusted shower head would be riddled with bacteria (and the hairs in the bath made me feel ill)
Could not wait to get out of this place, needs closing down and fully refurbishing and re opened !

Room Tip: Book a travel lodge some where else..
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 29 August 2012

We stayed on Friday 27th July, a family of 4, (twin boys aged 12), in a family room overlooking the garden. We would definitely stay again. We found the hotel at the last min via Expedia (who take their cut) so would book direct in future. Firstly, the photo doesn't do it justice, it's set further back than it looks, in this beautiful Cotswold village, its a quiet hotel, with much going for it. The new owner had only bought it a few hours before we arrived! He was a very welcoming Welshman, who couldn't do enough, or be more welcoming. Bar and restaurant staff efficient and professional. The hotel has a lovely atmosphere, and many old charm features. We had an evening meal in the bar area, which was v good, and a large screen on which to watch the opening of the Olympics ceremony. Our room was large and clean, with long balcony walkway outside overlooking the garden. Our breakfast was prompt and well cooked, we lacked for nothing, and sat overlooking the front garden (much longer than the photo indicates). We all slept well. The hotel is very well situated for visiting Lacock, which we did, and then later Stonehenge. We found the route through Wiltshire, to our Devon holiday, v good and quick, avoiding the motorway route Bristol, Exeter. The hotel is a little tired in places, but nothing that cannot be fixed easily, with a little TLC by the experienced the new owner. We wish him well, and would stay again!

Room Tip: Our family room at the back was spacious and quiet, well equipped and clean.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 4 December 2011

We chose the Bell House Hotel to stay in for the one night as we were planning a celebratory meal at La Flambe restaurant across the road and wanted to enjoy their wine list!

Firstly this was not a cheap Bed and Breakfast at £80 per night, not sure how many bedrooms it has but I think its more a pub with accommodation than hotel. The staff were very friendly and helpful and showed us to our room promptly.

The room itself was very large, the TV in comparison was tiny and we could barely see it from the bed! Furniture was very basic, pine chest of drawers and dressing table, plus one chair from one of the conference rooms!!! Curtains needed more rings and hooks to avoid the sagging. Just all looks a bit dated, but wouldn't take much to make it perfect

Bathroom was a nice size, more cleaning needed though, the radiator was ignored by the cleaning cloth I think!!

Breakfast the next morning was perfect, plenty of cereals to choose, mounds of toast, and an excellent full English served by a very friendly lady.

Would definitely stay here again, but perhaps not pay the extra to stay in the four poster bedroom.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Lynn S
Reviewed 18 November 2011

Unfortunately I had to stay here for 8 nights. The pub was decent enough and the food good quality, but the rooms and service let it down. You'll never see any staff on reception, so you have to wonder around looking for someone to get your key. The radiators in my room didn't work for the duration I was there. I told them about the kettle not working after two days, and I still didn't have a working one when I left. Out of five plug sockets only two worked properly - and I couldn't use the bedside lamp or charge my phone overnight. This hotel (using the term lightly) is in Sutton Benger, Chippenham, not Newmarket.

• Stayed: November 2011
1  Thank RJB009
Reviewed 30 October 2011

Upon arrival had a nice welcome and was shown promptly to our room. We had upgraded to the four poster bed which cost £80 incl breakfast. On the plus side, the room was a good size, it was warm, the bed linen was clean and well laundered. On the downside, the room was dated and felt tired and in much need of refurbishment. Despite it only being a 2 star hotel, we felt that the standard of cleaning throughout the corridors and public areas need to be addressed.

• Stayed: October 2011
White Hart Hotel
White Hart Hotel
#2 of 4 in Calne
The Manor House Hotel and Golf Club

Been to Bell House Hotel? Share your experiences!