“Great food”
Review of Bell House Hotel

Bell House Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Sutton Benger
Reviewed 7 June 2013

Had a meal on Wednesday and I have to say the food is the best i have tasted in a long time I had the Seabass and have to say it was cooked to perfection and the wife had the stir fry and said that it was delightful. It's safe to say we will definitely be coming again

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 22 May 2013

What a way to finish the week, a lovely pub with great service, fantastic landlord AND excellent fish & chips and chocolate brownie ! :o)
Only live local so cant comment on the bedrooms but really have nothing to complain about an absolute gem in Sutton Benger, definitely worth a visit, we shall be returning.....

• Stayed: May 2013
1  Thank Linz39
Reviewed 6 May 2013

Good points: Large car park. Heating in room is efficient. Seems clean.

Single room: shower head attached by duct tape and not surprisingly leaked at best and actually no water went through shower ose. Plugs not attached to sink or to bath but at least available! Kettle in room boiled once and then refused to work so I assume the fuse had blown. Snores from room next door clearly heard through wall during the night. Curtains, carpet, fittings, etc. very tired.

In the bar at 6.00 p.m. music from a radio is loud and pervades both the bar and restaurant area. When I asked if radio could be turned down my request was greeted with surprise and refused. Therefore I took my supper of fishcakes to my room. Fishcakes light on fish but crispy and mostly potato at £9.95 with chips and 4 pieces of mizuno lettuce rather steep.

No idea about breakfast as I had to leave before service started at 0830 hrs.

Room Tip: Wait until it has been refurbished.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank barbara s
Chris W, General Manager at Bell House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 May 2013

Dear Barbara

Thank you for your comments on your stay. I am very sorry that it was not the most enjoyable. The music in the bar is always a little tricky as different people have different tastes the music had been changed on request earlier that tea time. The fish cakes have been the subject of great discussion with our chefs and hopefully been resolved, I agree with you that there is no point of a fish cake that has a greater percentage of potato than fish. The kettle has now been changed unfortunately fuses can go at any time. A full refurbishment plan has been agreed but unfortunately we have had to put a hold on this as there were some unseen problems as there usually are with an old building like this. These problems will be resolved in the next few weeks and then we can start the refurbishment program, My apologies once again.

Chris Williams

Reviewed 18 April 2013

We stayed at the hotel for 2 nights and found it to be well run and friendly. The facilities may need modernising and a bit of repair but the breakfast was enjoyable and dinner very pleasant. We had invited 150 guests for drinks and sandwiches during the Friday afternoon and all we very efficient and well organised.

We would happily stay there again and would like to say thanks to all the staff for their time and effort during our stay.

Mike

Room Tip: room 4 is best
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 30 March 2013

Had a fabulous lunch at the bell house hotel today, home made burgers with bacon and cheese with deep fried chunky chips, would highly recommend this place to be visited,this is only one of meals off the menu we have yet to try, the menu has just been updated so we shall be going back. Chris makes you feel very welcome.

Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 14 March 2013

Rooms were lovely clean and tidy, everything you need very warm and cosy, food in the restaurant was very nice, however the menu choice was small, however Chris the owner has said he has ordered a new traditional menu with a wide variety of choices and this I would return to view and taste. Overall a very good hotel, all staff are warm and friendly.

Room Tip: Double room which I stayed in was big and plenty of clothing space loads of mirrors and overall plea...
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 13 January 2013

A couple of weeks ago my wife and I were passing through Sutton Benger in Wiltshire one sunday and stopped to have a sunday lunch. We only live about 30 minutes from the village but thought we would try somewhere different. We pulled up outside The Bell Hotel in Sutton Benger and hesitated going in as it looked a little run down! However we had parked up so we decided to venture inside and initially were still unsure if we were going to stay and have a meal? While stood at the bar waiting to be served a gentleman came up to us and asked us if we were having lunch we said yes and he took our coats and showed us to a table, very nicely laid on a crisp white table cloth. What followed was a superb meal, both my wife and I had the scallops with a pea puree done to perfection followed by succulent slices of roast beef served with an array of vegetables and potatoes centred under the beef topped with a big yorkshire pudding and a wonderful rich gravy. To add to this excellent meal the Owner Chris who had initially shown us to our table continued to be courteous and attentive to our every need which made this a real treat, something we would not have expected based on our initial observations?

We subsequently returned again last week for an evening meal which again was superb and today I took both of our parents and my sister for sunday lunch.

If you are in or around Sutton Benger and looking for a restaurant with superb food together with a front of house/owner (Chris) who makes each visit an occasion to remember I would highly recommend the restaurant in The Bell Hotel.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with friends
Beechfield House
#1 of 1 in Beanacre
9 mi away
The Hare and Hounds Hotel

Been to Bell House Hotel? Share your experiences!