“excellent”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Sutton Benger
London, United Kingdom
“excellent”
Reviewed 19 May 2014

Just returned from The bell on a quiet Monday night. Had a wonderful meal, fresh fish, lightly battered and home cut and cooked chips. My wife had a vegetarian lasagne made with goats cheese ; a bit dry but tasty and a lovely salad accompaniment.
Clean and welcoming and we will go back again.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank GarmischP

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Derby, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 May 2014 via mobile

Just returned from a weekend in the area, staying two nights at the hotel. Chris is a very amiable and friendly mine host and deserves to make a success of this place. Rooms are small but clean and adequate. The restaurant and bar are beautifully decorated and the food superb. We have a very good dinner on the Friday night and this was followed by two of the best hotel breakfasts I have had in a long while - hot, freshly cooked to order and good quality ingredients. It puts to shame the big chains with their breakfast buffets of overcooked greasy offerings. Good luck to you Chris

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank cvbpeb
Chippenham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 May 2014

We came across the Bell House Hotel almost by accident whilst touring around the Wiltshire countryside. It looked very welcoming and we were not disappointed. We only had lunch but it was clear that this is a place that prides itself on presentation, quality and service. The Host and Staff are very friendly and welcoming. The food was good quality and well presented. The location was perfect and its closeness to the M4 Junction 17 makes it a great place to break your journey, no more expensive than the Services but a World apart in every way.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 April 2014

I stayed at The Bell House Hotel during November last year (2013) & absolutely loved it. The owner Chris was delightful & nothing was too much trouble. I needed 'time-out' to myself at the time & that was completely respected. It was exactly what I needed. The accommodation was excellent value for money..
It's an old building (part of its appeal in my opinion)so if you're looking for 5 star ‘country club’ type of accommodation you probably should look elsewhere.
It's a great place to stay if you enjoy visiting places of historical interest . The Cotswolds, Castle Combe, Lacock are not far away at all. The Bell is opposite the 12th Century Church & the surrounding villages all have loads of history hidden amongst newer buildings. Swindon is only about 15 - 20 minutes drive away if you really need to touch base with a more urban environment! The M4 motorway is less than 5 minutes & so very easy to hop on at Junction 17 (Chippenham/Malmesbury exit) & get to Bath, Bristol, & London (Swindon Junction 18) very quickly.
I would definitely recommend it as THE place to stay without breaking the bank! I live in Australia nowadays & I miss the UK countryside & history of the South West – it was the perfect place to keep me going until the next time I return.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank Ginny W
Windsor, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 April 2014

We had a lovely meal at The Bell House Hotel. The staff were lovely, it's been recently redecorated and has a great outside area. We had 2 steak and kidney pies and it was a very nice experience. We were surprised there were not many people there. Price wise it was very affordable so wouldn't hesitate to visit again.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 March 2014

We stayed at The Bell this weekend as we were going to a friend's party nearby. The manager, Chris, is fabulously welcoming and a genuinely warm and engaging host. The building, an old coaching inn, has masses of potential but there is still a long way to go. Our room was lovely and warm but had several niggles which really should be part of a daily check of rooms by staff - two light bulbs out, very gloomy energy-efficient lighting which made it difficult to see (need to change to more modern and brighter energy-efficient bulbs), missing TV remote control, an ancient shower arrangement with a broken bracket that my husband had to repair, but not before it had fallen and hit me on the head etc. The decor of our double room was very dated and tired and is desperately in need of a complete overhaul. Our friends also had similar, if not worse problems in their room but strangely enough, we found it amusing rather than enraging, probably because Chris is so patently genuine and committed.
On the plus side the atmophere in the bar was great, Chris was very attentive to his guests and the breakfast the next morning was to die for - the most delicious 'full English' that I have ever had and I have stayed in numerous hotels over many years. Coffee needs to be improved still but Chris has obviously heeded breakfast feedback from earlier reviews. This hotel is fantastically well-placed for visits to Bath and the surrounding areas, has masses of parking and a lovely view over the village church. We will go back, once the rooms have been updated, as it has a genuine charm and the owner is great. We would also like to try the Sunday lunch as we missed out the next day due to another engagement but our friends said it was fabulous. I suggest Chris appoints a visit from the Hotel Inspector since The Bell really could be turned into a lovely place with a properly organised programme of tasteful renovation combined with vision and daily attention to detail in the rooms.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that is not over the bar. Our large double was in the annex and was extremely quiet w...