“We Expected Miss Marple To Be In the Restaurant !”

The Cottage in the Wood
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Malvern Wells
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“We Expected Miss Marple To Be In the Restaurant !”
Reviewed 31 July 2014 via mobile

We are big fell walkers and having lived in Bristol for a lot of years, it's surprising that we didn't walk in this area before, but we always meant to. However after attending a meeting in the Coventry area last Friday we drove over and eventually made it.
To be honest the hotel was more or less exactly what I expected, similar to those that my parents took me to as a child in the late 50's. And therein lies it's charm. My husband had been hoping for something a bit more modern.

The staff were charming and everyone helpful, lots of lovely touches described in other reviews. We were in The Pinnacles a block of bedrooms away from the main building. Probably one of the hottest couple of days of the summer and we fried in the room. There was an air circulation unit in the room but quite honestly it was next to useless. Thankfully there was an air conditioning unit in the restaurant.

First of all a big thank you for the vegetarian options provided for my husband. We were there for 3 nights and they rung the changes for him.
I personally thought that the main menu was a bit limited. I eat meat and fish but thought it all a bit much. Gamey and the chicken dish decidedly odd in its delivery. I was not alone here as on our last evening a woman on the next table was having the chicken and was also commenting on this.
The starters were in the same vein rather heavy and meaty. Soup was an option which I had once but not every night in such hot weather. Their bread selection was to die for!

I feel slightly mean only giving it 3 stars (between 3 and 4 more accurate).but a lot of updating is needed. That's what the travelling public expect these days . A lovely weekend nevertheless in a super spot. Elgar music was in my head every time we went on those lovely hills.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Geordies2_13
Pattinfamily, Owner at The Cottage in the Wood, responded to this review, 23 August 2014
We did have a couple of very hot days and I do wonder on such days why I didn't put in air-con when I built The Pinnacles. I guess it came down to a cost v's benefit for so few days a year. We are planning further works over the winter but have never been and never will be "cutting edge" we offer good, comfortable hospitality where guests can relax and unwind. Thank you for your balanced comments.
John

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (330)
Provo, Utah
Reviewed 30 July 2014

We stayed here for one night. I could have stayed here for a week. Lovely room, lovely view of the Malvern Hills. The breakfast was lovely. I find the word lovely to be the right word in England and the right word to describe Cottage in the Wood. I hope to visit again.

Room Tip: Our room didn't have a great view but we loved it anyway. I think if you get a room on east side...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for a "LOVELY" review. Very pleased that you enjoyed your brief visit in all it's aspects.
Hope you will be in this part of the world again one day. We'll be here!
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 July 2014

A friend and I stayed here for a long weekend walking in the Malvern Hills. The hotel is perfectly placed for walking and indeed we walked out of the hotel on two days without needing to use the car. The welcome was warm and friendly and the staff were helpful and friendly throughout our stay. We were staying in a room in the main house. The room was cozy, though little dated for some tastes and, if you have long hair, wash it before coming as the water pressure in the shower was low. The TVs all have integrated DVDs, but the selection of DVDs available in the hotel is fairly small and a little dated, so bring your own if you think that you may want to watch a film in the evening. There was a kettle and tea and coffee and very nice biscuits available in the room. We were staying half board and breakfast and dinner were both served in a room with the most amazing views over the surrounding countryside. The food was fantastic and you will undoubtedly put on weight as the portions were very generous. There were no supplements for those on half board, you could choose a 3 course meal from anything on the excellent menu - although invariably we were too full for dessert! There is an extensive wine list - some very expensive - we chose from their 'cheaper' list, but the wines were excellent. I would recommend the hotel, not just for walkers, but for anyone interested in exploring the many other sights in the area or just as a relaxing weekend with superb food.

Room Tip: We stayed in the main house with a side view - apparently the rooms in the Pinnacles are bigger but...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Christine526
Pattinfamily, Owner at The Cottage in the Wood, responded to this review, 16 August 2014
I'm delighted you enjoyed your stay and got some good walking in. Yes, it's a bonus not having to drive to the start of a walk. The pressure in Pinnacles is immense as I put in a pressurised system when we had it built, in the main house it's a major task to replace the whole water system but we will have to one day. With 500 wines on the list they do range in price from the rarified clarets to good, inexpensive New World wines. The maximum mark up is £30, even if the bottle costs us £100.
Hancock, NH
Reviewed 28 July 2014

My wife and I wanted to do some hiking in the Malverns this place was right in the middle for easy access to the north and south. There are so many thoughtful aspects of TCITW such as trail maps, great breakfast, and nice rooms. We stayed in the main building and while the rooms were "modest" in size they are very well done. We especially like the fact that the lighting in the rooms was excellent, and 2 chairs for reading etc unusual these days, Classy but not snobby

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank twestheimer
I'm glad you found us not to be snobby, that's the last thing we'd like to be and I can't stand it when we stay in some hotels. Relaxing and re-energising, that's what we set out to be, hence two easy chairs in every bedroom so you can recline and unwind. Thank you for posting a review.
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 July 2014

Yes they really thought of everything. Whatever you need, you look around the room and you'll find it there or maybe hiding in a drawer, but it will be there. Even a pair of binoculars to check out the buzzards that you can hear mewing.
This is a great hotel with a fantastic view over the Malvern hills. We stayed in a ground floor room in the Pinnacles annex. The room had a terrace with table and chairs where we could sit and enjoy the view. The room was a great size with lots of drawers and hanging space and room to put your stuff - I like that.
All the staff are very friendly and helpful.
The food was fairly good, perhaps I didn't make good choices.

Room Tip: There are rooms in the main building but they are upstairs and there is no lift. There is another a...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Thank you for your review. We have tried to equip the rooms with many of the things all to easily forgotten when packing for a short break. The buzzards are a great source of joy to me and thus far have not been displaced by red kites of which there are many in the Brecon Beacons, just a few wing beats away. i was concerned you gave the food a qualified rating. We have changed the menu which was delayed much to Dominic's chagrin.
Tamworth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 July 2014

This hotel is set in woodlands and 30 mile views from the terrace
We stayed in the pinnacles complex which is just a 2 minute walk from the main reception
The room was very spacious and glorious views from our window.
The breakfast was varied and the evening dinner menu choices were fantastic
We will definitely be coming back.

Room Tip: Most rooms have open views but please ask the reception for a choice
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Pattinfamily, General Manager at The Cottage in the Wood, responded to this review, 16 August 2014
As a gardener (when time permits) "little gem" means a lettuce to me!! However, many thanks for your kind words and for the best words of all which are "we will return". We look forward to seeing you again.
Worcester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 July 2014

With the help of a dedicated member of staff, this wonderful jewel in the crown on the side of the beautiful Malvern hills, help me organise a wonderful weekend event for my family who were travelling from around the UK and Europe. What a great job they did. The rooms in the Pinnacles wing were very comfy with fantastic views over Worcestershire from every room. The breakfasts and evening meals were excellent, using locally sourced produce well presented and beautifully cooked. The staff were extremely friendly and managed a lovely balance between professionalism and home charm. Thanks for an unforgettable stay.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Tony R
Your review - for which many thanks - gives me the opportunity to mention Sian who organises parties such as yours. I'm delighted you all enjoyed the get together and found The Cottage in the Wood a good venue. "Unforgettable" is indeed a compliment, just as long as it's for the right reasons!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Malvern Wells
Mount Pleasant Hotel
Mount Pleasant Hotel
#9 of 10 in Malvern
Bank House Hotel, Spa & Golf, BW Premier Collection

Been to The Cottage in the Wood? Share your experiences!