We are big fell walkers and having lived in Bristol for a lot of years, it's surprising that we didn't walk in this area before, but we always meant to. However after attending a meeting in the Coventry area last Friday we drove over and eventually made it.
To be honest the hotel was more or less exactly what I expected, similar to those that my parents took me to as a child in the late 50's. And therein lies it's charm. My husband had been hoping for something a bit more modern.
The staff were charming and everyone helpful, lots of lovely touches described in other reviews. We were in The Pinnacles a block of bedrooms away from the main building. Probably one of the hottest couple of days of the summer and we fried in the room. There was an air circulation unit in the room but quite honestly it was next to useless. Thankfully there was an air conditioning unit in the restaurant.
First of all a big thank you for the vegetarian options provided for my husband. We were there for 3 nights and they rung the changes for him.
I personally thought that the main menu was a bit limited. I eat meat and fish but thought it all a bit much. Gamey and the chicken dish decidedly odd in its delivery. I was not alone here as on our last evening a woman on the next table was having the chicken and was also commenting on this.
The starters were in the same vein rather heavy and meaty. Soup was an option which I had once but not every night in such hot weather. Their bread selection was to die for!
I feel slightly mean only giving it 3 stars (between 3 and 4 more accurate).but a lot of updating is needed. That's what the travelling public expect these days . A lovely weekend nevertheless in a super spot. Elgar music was in my head every time we went on those lovely hills.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Cottage in the Wood: hotel, restaurant and bar in Mavlern is an independent, boutique hotel situated high in the Malvern hill with stunning views across the Severn Valley and the Cotswolds. There are 30 beautiful and unique en-suite bedrooms to stay in most with stunning views across the English countryside - remember to request a view when you book! The award winning restaurant serves high quality, locally sourced, modern British cuisine from breakfast to lunch, afternoon tea and evening meals. In the cosy bar you can choose from a refreshing craft beers & ales, fine wines by the glass (or bottle) and cocktails. With a real log fire in winter and refreshing cocktails in summer it is the perfect place to relax all year round! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Ebookers, Priceline, Odigeo and Hotel.de so you can book your The Cottage in the Wood reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Cottage In The Wood Hotel Malvern Wells
- The Cottage In Wood
- The Cottage In The Wood Malvern/Malvern Wells, UK