“Yet again, Excellent !!”

The Cottage in the Wood
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Malvern Wells
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
“Yet again, Excellent !!”
Reviewed 1 September 2014

We have just returned from a weekend at the Cottage and is our 4th visit over the last few years. As ever, first rate attention from the staff. Large comfortable room in the Pinacles with a stunning view. The outlook restaurant - food as good as ever. Very well presented, perfectly cooked and certainly not bland. We stayed for 2 nights. Not sure we could manage a third night as there is a limit to how much I can eat. Well done everyone. You made a weekend getaway in to a memorable one. We are looking at Christmas at the Cottage and thinking of getting in to training now !

Room Tip: Pinacles, front facing, These give the best views of the Severn.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Pattinfamily, General Manager at The Cottage in the Wood, responded to this review, 7 September 2014
Firstly, many thanks for the review. Secondly, it's very reassuring to know we've maintained the standards over the past few years. A 365 days of the year business is always challenged by that.
Thirdly, we'd love to see you at Christmas. In between eating you can always walk up the hill from our grounds to prepare you for the next meal! Thanks again.
John

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (335)
holland
Reviewed 28 August 2014

The view over the Severn valley is to die for, and you can walk right out of the hotel grounds and up onto the Malvern Hills. Breakfast very good - if standard Full English plus buffet. Evening meal was excellent, wine list extensive (if some expensive - but appropriate for hotel prices). Attentive staff with personal touches. Can only comment on room in the Cottage. Lots of nice touches - like fresh milk on request in stead of UHT, binoculars in each room. It may be a bit picky, but minor details prevent reaching 5*.....Th e bedroom was a little small for amount of furniture in it - probably could just do with a bit of thought on replanning the layout (no room for cases to be laid out, TV awkward to see). The noise from rooms above slightly distracting - but that's what you get for a REAL world building, rather than a concrete block? Finally the staffing in the lunge/bar was a bit thin - several times couldn't find anyone to order drinks. However overall would thoroughly recommend the hotel.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
Pattinfamily, Owner at The Cottage in the Wood, responded to this review, 30 August 2014
Thank you for a very balanced review. I'm glad of course that you enjoyed your stay but found the room a bit cramped, I'll need to review the two smaller Beech Cottage rooms. I was sorry that you had to search for staff to get attention in the bar. We do not man it full time and when not, there should be a bell that will summon assistance. Glad you've not been put off!
UK
Reviewed 25 August 2014

After a couple of short recent stays we’re delighted that The Cottage in the Wood is as good as ever having stayed there a few times over recent years:
excellent food and drink with pleasant professional service; good rooms with attention to small details that make a good place exceptional e.g. handmade biscuits with the tea-making facilities, and complimentary mineral water; likewise the food and drink with many items locally sourced, including Herefordshire gin! The wine list is still exceptional - and very good value for better wines owing to its modest flat rate mark up. And of course the views are superb with good walking on the Malvern Hills. A favourite to return to.

Room Tip: We like rooms in the main house for convenience and atmosphere. The other rooms are more modern and...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
It is especially gratifying to hear from people who have stayed here not just recently but also over the years as it indicates we are maintaining standards which encourages them to return. It also gives me the measure on consistency which is such a difficult challenge when trading 365 days of the year. Above all though, I'm really pleased you have enjoyed your recent visits. Thank you for the review.
Leicestershire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 August 2014

We stayed here last year and were wowed. We got this deal on living social and were very happy with the price we payed. We were given a choice of rooms and stopped in the cottage. Yes, the rooms are not decorated in a modern design but the decoration suits the hotel. You do feel like you are in a beautiful, idyllic country house in the era of Pride and Prejudice.
We were desperate for a small getaway after a very stressful time at work and The beautifully cooked with a wide range of choice.
The staff were fantastic and we were given the best possible service. It is lovely to see a family run place with a homely feel.
We are hoping to return this November to get away from the stresses of work once again. Thank you for such a memorable experience.

Room Tip: Number 10 in the cottage was beautiful and we are hoping to get that room again sometime.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Dups88
I guess you were thinking of an escape and your stay with us came to mind. Thank you very much. The Living Social was a special deal and we are planning on a good inclusive "Winter Cheers" offer, so watch the website. Very pleased you enjoyed your stay. I think Room 10 is very characterful if less large than many in The Pinnacles. We look froward to your return in November.
Bournemouth, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 August 2014

Without a shadow of a doubt, the views are stunning, the hotel overall is good but was it worth £198 per night? no. That is a lot of money and, for me, it would have to be pretty exceptional all round to be worth that. My room was clean but there was too much furniture in it which made it feel cluttered. The mattress was very comfortable but I prefer duvets to sheets & itchy blankets. Water piping hot & shower good. Unfortunately you can hear the floor creaking in the room above when people are walking around. There's probably nothing the hotel can do about that, but I mention it because I have to take that disturbance into account when considering whether £198 is value for money; I didn't want to wake up at 6am.
The breakfast service on the first day was poor. It took the waitress 10 minutes to even acknowledge us and ask what we wanted to drink. The breakfast itself was appalling; the bacon was raw in places where it had folded over in the pan, the potatoes were hard and sitting in little pools of oil & the mushroom looked like it had been boiled in water. The black pudding was missing altogether. We didn't get the toast we had ordered. None of us could eat the breakfast & alerted the waiter who apologised and said that the chef had been rushed. As a consequence, we had to buy breakfast out.
It was my birthday and I had a meal booked in the restaurant that evening. I asked if it was the same chef, which the waiter said it was. On the back of the breakfast, I cancelled it because I simply didn't want to take the risk that the evening meal would be of the same quality as the breakfast.
Breakfast on the second day was much improved. We had a different waitress who actually showed us to our table & took our order straight away. She knew about breakfast the day before because, when she took our room numbers, she apologised on behalf of the chef. The breakfast itself was much better on day 2. So, I am willing to put day 1 breakfast down to a one off. Bearing in mind it was not a matter of taste though, in the sense that the bacon & potatoes were actually partially uncooked (as seen by the waiter) & none of us ate the breakfast, I was surprised this was not reflected in the bill when we left. I could've mentioned it when checking out, but I shouldn't have to.
So now I finally score the hotel on whether I'd return. The answer would have to be yes for the location but not at that price

• Stayed August 2014
I'm sorry to read of your poor breakfast. Hands up we messed up. We also messed up in not having this information carried to front of house, so we owe you a breakfast. As this is anonymous, it cannot be rectified by any other means other than you telling us who you are. The reply you had to "is it the same chef" was incorrect inasmuch as the Head Chef is the same but not the one on breakfast duty. However, it is his responsibility as it is mine.
Malvern, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 August 2014

We visited the Cottage in the Wood for lunch and, as usual, it was a very enjoyable affair. Unusually, we all chose the same dish; this was local Evesham asparagus, new potatoes and Parma ham. Given what it was, I suppose the collective choice was not that surprising. It was very well cooked, neatly served and was delicious. So, well done!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Lovely to hear that we were up to scratch "as usual" and that you all enjoyed your lunch. You must just have caught the asparagus season which sadly we now need to wait for another six months before the early (under glass) crop is ready once more. Thank you very much for the review.
Dudley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 August 2014

I visited the Cottage in the Wood for the first time in August 2014. The weather was a typical British Summer day, with daytime temperature of 19 degrees going down to 10 degrees at night. I mention this from the outset as I fully understand the comments made by travellers who stayed in hot weather, as the only air conditioning unit I saw in the hotel was in the dining room. The rooms are kitted out for cold weather with curtains that are not only lined but padded to retain warmth. I imagine the rooms to be at their best in Spring and Autumn.

Now on to the review. I can only review the hotel as I found it, and I found it to be the best hotel I have ever stayed in.

The attention to detail from the moment you walk through the door is exemplary. The warmth of the welcome from the staff is genuine and almost overwhelming. The hotel is relatively small split over three buildings. I stayed in the Pinnacles building which is the newest part of the hotel only built in 2003, but in keeping with Beech Cottage and the Main Hotel building which are much older. The Pinnacles is split over three floors but there is no lift. The ground floor has a wheelchair ramp and is all on the level. I travelled with my parents. When booking over the phone (the website booking area was down at the time), I mentioned that my parents have problems with limited mobility. The hotel gave them a ground floor room with patio doors opening on to a stunning view across Worcestershire to the east and Gloucestershire to the south. I was given a room on the top floor, and my room had windows across the same view.

The Outlook Restaurant is in the main hotel and requires a 100 metre walk across a fairly gentle slope. If required, you can drive across as there is a drop off point outside the hotel entrance. If you are walking in poor weather, there are umbrellas at the entrance to the Pinnacles and also in hotel reception. It is the attention to detail that makes the Cottage a special place. Other reviewers have mentioned that if you don't like to the UHT standard issue milk in the rooms with the tea and coffee making facilities, there are free 1/3 pint bottles of fresh milk in a fridge on the first floor. Would a chain hotel think of this? Probably not, nor to put a pair of binoculars in every room with a view.

In the restaurant, I found that the food was simply excellent and truly do not understand how other reviewers could call the food bland. It is subtle, beautifully presented and with excellent portion control. After a three course meal I was pleasantly well fed, not full nor hungry. There's a good number of staff in the restaurant and they are attentive, friendly and very courteous. Never far away but always in the background. The cooked to order breakfast the next morning was simply superb. Its obvious that all of the food is sourced from quality suppliers.

The wine list is extensive to the point of being daunting, but I chose a bottle of house champagne at a not unreasonable £39, along with a bottle of Malvern water.

After dinner we relaxed in the lounge with coffee and petit-fours. Again, excellent.

When I made the booking I mentioned that it was Dad's birthday. When taking our order for dinner the lady taking the order wished my Dad a happy birthday (without prompting) and there was a birthday card from the hotel waiting for him on the dinner table. A simple, kind and thoughtful gesture which Dad found very touching.

The Cottage could be situated in the back streets of an inner city and still be a great hotel. As it is, the Daily Mail is right about the view from the restaurant - it is the best in England. The Pattin family have taken a small hotel and polished it into a jewel. I've stayed there and you should too.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Pattinfamily, Owner at The Cottage in the Wood, responded to this review, 23 August 2014
Special occasions are always a bit fraught with wanting everything to be "right", especially as it was your fathers birthday rather than yours, so I'm absolutely delighted we all did our bit and the stay was everything that you wanted. Thank you for your detailed comments and compliments to the team. It has been shared. I note your comments about air-con and would just add that each room does have an air circulator which does help when we get those rare hot days. I hope you will return.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Malvern Wells
#9 of 10 in Malvern
Holdfast Cottage Hotel
Holdfast Cottage Hotel
#10 of 10 in Malvern

Been to The Cottage in the Wood? Share your experiences!