“Wouldn't recommend to my worst enemy”
Review of Hotel Arkada

Hotel Arkada
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Stari Grad
London
“Wouldn't recommend to my worst enemy”
Reviewed 2 October 2013

There was broken glass partition on the balcony, and the electrical sockets were broken. The entire hotel felt run down, not a Hotel for the British to go to.

One good note, the staff were very friendly and helpful despite the condition of the place itself.

My advice: Stay away.

Room Tip: Don't come here.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
7 Thank patrogers

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
  • Serbian first
Pozarevac, Serbia
Reviewed 6 September 2013

I have spent 16 days at this hotel with my family.

When you see this hotel for the first time, you have the impression that you are back in the 70's (of 20th century) when the communist regime governed the country (Ex Yugoslavia). The building is so large that it dominates the entrance of the Gulf of Stari Grad, and it leaves a quite impression on the spectators who are watching from the ferry.

The feeling of grandiosity is also present when you enter the building and take a look at its large corridors. That feeling stops when you enter the room, because the rooms are very small and equipped with basic furniture only.

There is no air condition in the rooms so it can get very hot. You can choose a room with a beautiful see view, or a room with not so beautiful park view (it is more woods then a park), My recommendation is a park view rooms, because they are in shade what makes them cooler than a see view rooms.

Also, there is no air condition in the restaurant and the heat can be unpleasant, because of large number of people dining. The solution is to have a dinner on the balcony and enjoy the great view, but in that case beware of wasps. Food is fine. There is a wide selection of national and international dishes, so you can always find something suitable for you.

The beach is conveniently located a few meters from the hotel and the town center is about 1 km far. If you don't like to swim in the sea, there is a pool in front of the hotel.

The staff is friendly but it is a very large hotel with a lot of guests, so don't expect to get the attention as you would in a smaller place.

This hotel is a good choice for those who will not spend a lot of time in the room, because of its location and reasonable price. But if you want comfort and luxury, I recommend you to look for a different place.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
12 Thank mzivkovic012
Bratislava, Slovakia
Reviewed 19 August 2013

hotel is simple, old fashioned, once may become a retro, it is simply furnished, but I totally disagree with all those excited "horrible" and "terrible" reviews. Hotel has a good location directly on the beach, beautiful Stari grad is reachable on foot via pleasant walk on promenade, nice views from the rooms, pool, terraces etc. Prices are very competitive. good value for money. I believe there are more cosy hotels, but not for the prices like here.

Room Tip: forest oriented rooms are north oriented, beter, as no air condition is provided
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
6 Thank tomas124
Southampton, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 August 2013

This hotel is really really bad. I mean there is nowhere quite so bad to stay on the planet. The rooms are cramped, old fashioned(in a bad way), smelly and dangerously hot. There is no air conditioning anywhere in the hotel. The staff are rude. When we stayed there we had to keep the balcony door open as it was so hot inside but there was water dripping all night so none of slept.
The hotel resembles a cold war prison.
We got there at half 11 at night and left by 8 am the next day. The breakfast was another story. It was food that I wouldn't expect my dog would eat. This hotel is nice for people who like self torture and would like to test their physical and most importantly mental strength!

Room Tip: Sleep in the car/footpath
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank David923

Travellers are raving about these Stari Grad hotels

Reviewed 2 August 2013

My girlfriend and I decided to book the hotel Arkada for a week whilst visiting Croatia. This was meant to be our luxury week after travelling around hostels in Bol. This was supposed to be as luxurious as we could afford (being students). However I have never seen anything quite like it. Simply shocking. The hotel itself is a 30 minute trek from the bus stop, it looks looks very dated, with the lift being a death trap! The room itself was awful with dirty sheets and a room temperature of 40c. The pool and bar looked like it hasn't been touched for 30 years. I dread to think how often yhry clean the pool. The only upside was the lovely girl on the desk (katrina). Don't make the same mistake that we did. Avoid!!!

• Stayed August 2013
3 Thank Jblatch1992
Hadsten, Denmark
Reviewed 31 July 2013

We stayed 3 nights in July 2013 in a room with balcony. The hotel seems to be from a different age. The room had no airconditioning and because the balcony is accessible (not easy in any way, but still) from the other rooms, we had to close the door during the day, leaving an extremely warm room when we got back.
We took a taxi from the boat, but it was severely overpriced, so on a tip from the helpful receptionist, we took the boat taxi back to the ferry on departure. 140 vs 10 kuna.
The reception and room lack basic information on the hotel. Only on the last day, we realized that there was also a a la carte restaurant in the hotel, Taverna, but no information was present anywhere. In fact there was no information sheet of any kind in the room.
We were given half board, as this was cheaper than just taking the room, but the breakfast, plentiful as it was, was not up to modern standards: no vegetables and the coffee was terrible, and dinner didn't look interesting so we went to the city instead (a 25 minute walk). Halfway to the city there is a restaurant, the Hermit, I think it was, which was very good, though.
The swimming facilities were good: a low-water bay for non- or little-swimmers, a 25 m(?) swimming pool with different activities during the day and a waterfront with deep water.
There is a separate bar at the pool with live disco-music at night, but when we came home Saturday night at 23:15 it was already closed. Perhaps there was another bar inside the hotel, but given the level of information, we never found out.
One mid morning we had an extra nap, putting the "please do not disturb" sign on the door. Nevertheless, the cleaning staff knocked repeatedly on the door until we opened in order to give us new towels. The room had neither safe nor fridge btw. The wifi in the room cost money, but 150 kuna for 7 days was within reason and the wifi at the bar was free. Both worked more or less as expected, but the paid was tied to one computer, so our iPhones had to wait for the trip to the bar.
As the price was fair, we could go here again outside the season. Not really bad, but not really good either.

Room Tip: Do take the rooms with balcony, they even give quite a magnificent view. Avoid or share taxi with ot...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Kim G
Paris, France
Reviewed 30 July 2013

Hello to dear potential visitors !
Because i do not like to be anonymous and because i do not want my comment to be considered as « false », my name is Sebastien, i’m living in Paris, I’m 40 years old and I’m working on internet area.

FIRST IMPORTANT THING : you have to know about this hotel :any comment over 5 (and I’m nice…) is either coming from very nice people… either coming from what we call in internet area: e-reputation agencies which are paid to make some good comments !!! If you do not trust me, pay attention to the length of these comments with a very good grade !!!
Just a detail before you begin to read: my wife and I have been in many different places in Croatia the last four years and we really love this country. I never put a comment before on internet, but in this case, I think it’s a question of honesty and overall, to avoid to some people to be “cheated”.

THE CITY :
- It’s definitely not a nice city, nothing attractive, harbor is smelling … the only thing which is nice is if you go inside the small streets where you discover the “old” city with small streets made in stone…
- It is really boring, nothing to do, you believe to be in a far west city like in the old westerns during the afternoon…
THE HOTEL: THE FAMOUS ONE !
- First, as mentioned in some other comments, regarding to the style, this hotel was probably made in the 70’s. The problem: nothing was changed or repaired since !
- From the entry, you can notice the floor and other furnitures which are definitely not clean, accompanied by a charming little musty smell
Once you are going to the elevators, everything is broken inside it (mirror, light…), carpets on the floor are so much dirty (may be they are here since the hotel was built !)
- The corridors… once you are up there, you have a “wonderful view” on the inside courtyard where an unscrupulous man has made the decision to lock as in a jail 2 or 3 poor peacocks who are probably the most unlucky and depressed peacocks in the whole world (just because a guy thought he could change the style of his dirty poor hotel into a Cinderella castle !). By the way, I should call the association to protect the animals !
- When you arrive in the bedroom, what a surprise: wall to wall carpets, old torn wallpapers… bed in wood (even the bolster), mattress doing “bing bong”… NO AC with 40° inside the room…
- Your relationships with the neighbours ? walls are so thin that you can appreciate whatever is happening in the other bedrooms…
- During the night, you have to fight with the uncomfortable bed, the heat, the noise of neighbours, people who are making parties on the nightclubs, on the beach : a wonderful night (I personnaly wanted to quit the hotel around 2 am !)
- Something should have alerted me : “SOS” written in the shower (what a joke !)
- “Sea view”… First, what they call sea view, you have a wonderful view on a huge roof made of plastic… it’s simply gorgeous !!! so marvelous…
Okay I stop because I guess you felt already my irony ! And all of this “pleasure” for 120 EUR A NIGHT !!! For such a price, I can tell you you can find some very good hotels in Croatia !

YOU UNDERSTOOD MY PIECE OF ADVICE : RUN AS FAR AS YOU CAN FROM THIS HOTEL ! (I’m trying to save your life …)

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Adriana, hvar spa hotel
Hotel Timun Hvar
Hotel Timun Hvar
#11 of 16 in Hvar

Been to Hotel Arkada? Share your experiences!