Dunboyne Castle Hotel And Spa
US$135
US$128
Priceline
2,067 results
All reviewsbar downstairslovely hoteloutdoor jacuzzifull body massagethermal suitesteam roomrelaxation roomivy restaurantsteakrelaxing staydublin cityafternoon teafood was lovelybar foodweekend breakcouldn't faultstayed for one night
Reviewed 16 November 2013

Helpful and welcoming staff; good size rooms; airy and lots of space. Can be very noisy when large parties staying over.

However, the spa is extra cost - not included in room rate; evening meals in restaurant are expensive; but bar meals in Terrace area are more reasonable (but service is quite slow as they often forget you).

When large groups are staying, the restaurant can look like the aftermath of a battlefield. Although food was aplenty, no tables ready for guests and staff struggling to restore order. You need to be self-reliant and get stuck in!

Design of bathroom in accessible room was strange - no shelves or space to put washbag; no towel rails near basin. The sink had 2 large cracks - perhaps previous guests had dropped stuff as there is no where put put things. No shower curtain - so the floor each morning was incredibly wet - just as well it was a nonslip floor with a tiny bath mat to aborb some of the shower water!

No net curtains, so you could be on show to rest of hotel guests in eves / mornings to rest of the hotel in winter months as it's dark outside.

lovely bathrobes - with large warning notice not to remove as tagged for security! you have been warned!

With two nights of noisy neighbours, this was not the best location for business trip. Management did offer a free spa treat to compensate for discomfort - the dry floatation treatment gave 3 hours equivalent sleep in 20 mins - worth trying if you are tired!

Room Tip: Unless you have reason to have an adjoining door to next room, then make sure you get a room with just one door. It can very noisy when the neighbours chat at night or early in the morning as the voices and light passes under the doorway.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank JMW050
ElisabetDiaz, General Manager at Dunboyne Castle Hotel And Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 18 November 2013

Dear JMW050
Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay in the Dunboyne Castle & Spa.
I greatly appreciate all the feedback I get from our guests as I believe it helps us become better at what we do.

We are delighted to hear positive feedback on our greatest asset of all, our staff, we try hard to stand out as a warm and well managed hotel where you can relax and know that we will look after things for you, no matter how small, I will ensure your lovely comments are passed on to the rest of team.

With reference to your feedback on noise levels, we always try to accommodate groups together in the same area to minimise disturbing other guests however this is not always possible as not all guests indicate they are attending a function in the hotel for example when they book online.

My sincere apologies for the disturbed night’s sleep you encountered with noise from other hotel guest’s. However I am pleased to hear Jeanne at reception addressed the issue once raised and that you availed of their offer of a complimentary dry floatation treatment which I am happy to hear you enjoyed.

Regarding the charge to use the thermal suite, this is a recent introduction. We feel that to maintain the standards throughout the facility and to better manage the number of people who wish to use the thermal suite, the charge is necessary. We believe that €10 per room per stay is good value for the facilities on offer. Some other properties with spas in Ireland also charge for use of their thermal suites.

I am disappointed to read your comments on The Ivy Restaurant as we generally receive exceptional feedback from our guests on our standard of service and food, and are indeed very proud to have received not 1 but 2AA rosettes recently for both culinary excellence and outstanding service to confirm this however I do take your comments on board and will discuss further with our restaurant manager.

In relation to our menu pricing we are in line with other 4 star hotels price list in the area, we also offer an early bird option which starts off from only €21.95 and is served all evening Sunday-Thursday, Friday from 6.30pm-7.30pm. We also have a special offer for main course only directed to our corporate clients midweek.

Your comments on the bathroom facilities have been noted and please be assured I will be investigating these further with our maintenance team.

Once again sincere thanks for expressing your views which are extremely important to us as it is only through feedback from pro-active guests like yourself that we can hope to maintain the high standards for which the Dunboyne Castle Hotel & Spa is renowned for.

I do hope we have the privilege of welcoming you back again in the future.

Reviewed 15 November 2013

Yes, my sister and I promised ourselves that we would return to this hotel and we did and were very happy to have done so. Margarida checked us in with a smile and with her pleasant welcoming words. Our room was large, warm and comfortable and the twin beds we requested were perfect. As returning guests, a hand-written card of 'Welcome Back' was in the room accompanied by a plate of strawberries and chocolates. Thanks so much for that individual touch, much appreciated, and enjoyed.

We had a really good dinner and nicely chilled white wine - served and presented with the usual aplomb...that award-winning chef really doing his 'thing' in fine style!

Breakfast, as before, was delicious, plentiful and a wide and varied selection available. My daughter dropped by later on and we all had a very nice snack in the Lounge (Soup etc.) and, probably because we were Residents, we were given a little plate of big homemade cookies to have with our coffee in the bedroom! All in all, we had a lovely relaxing and enjoyable break on this occasion also.

I should perhaps mention that there was a Debs' Ball being held in the hotel one evening during our stay there and it did not, in any way, impinge on our enjoyment/tranquillity - no extraneous noise/music - nothing different - quiet and peaceful.

When leaving, a gorgeous girl (Elena?) checked us out; she remembered something I had said on our previous stay there ...so not just a pretty face!! Seeing that my sister was making somewhat heavy weather of managing her overnight bag, her handbag and coat, Elena immediately came from behind her desk, took the luggage out and stowed it neatly and carefully in the boot of the car, wished us well and said she hoped she'd see us soon again. Well done Elena and thank you! Yes, we WILL be back as we have become accustomed to this pampering!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family

Dear judyjoycethejoker
Thank you for taking the time to post your review and share your experience with others.
I am truly delighted that you had such an enjoyable stay at Dunboyne Castle Hotel & Spa and that the hotel once again lived up to your expectations.
I am happy to hear that you had an enjoyable dining experience in the Ivy Restaurant. The Ivy offers an original selection of modern Irish and international cuisine in an intimate, warm and stylish atmosphere. Our Executive Head Chef, has introduced menus which include Ireland’s highest quality produce. The Ivy is very proud to have been awarded two AA Rosettes in July .These Rosettes have been awarded for both culinary excellence and outstanding service. Your positive feedback on breakfast is much appreciated,we endeavour to cook everything fresh and use local produce where we can so it is great to hear that it was enjoyed by all.
We are a popular venue for many functions including weddings and as you have mentioned Debs Balls, which as you stated this does not have any impact on our guests stay as we keep all private parties in our function rooms. So if is a relaxing short break, a city shopping treat, we always aim to make it the most enjoyable and memorable experience for all our guests whatever the occasion may be.
Finally we sincerely appreciate your compliments on all of our staff and in particular to Margarida and Elena, both of whom are valued members of the team.
We not only pride ourselves in making your stay a comfortable one but also to offer you excellent service with friendly and efficient staff where you can relax and know that we will look after things for you, no matter how small so it is great to hear that this has been experienced by you.
Thank you once again for your lovely feedback and we look forward to having the opportunity of welcoming you back to Dunboyne Castle Hotel

Reviewed 15 November 2013

We checked into Dunboyne Castle Hotel & Spa for 2 days. When we arrived there was no que at the check in desk and we were able to check in straight away first impressions were a nice hotel with a good lobby etc, We proceeded to our bedroom, going through the doors I did think they could do with a lick of paint! Our bedroom was quite spacious I wouldn't say spectacular but absolutely fine and a nice balcony, we got changed and headed straight to the Thermal Suite to relax, Its really beautiful only gripe would be a few of them are not working.. but on the whole we loved this part of the hotel the outdoor hot tub was really lovely as well. We had lunch in our room and sat at the table with the balcony door open and it was really lovely, dinner that evening was quite nice starter and desert however we both ordered steak and it was over done, breakfast was a buffet huge selection of everything you could wish for, second evening in the restaurant we ordered starter which was fine, then we both went with Steak again for main and when it came it was so over done that we sent it back, we were advise by the waiter that the chef wouldn't be too impressed! I really felt this wasn't ok there was quite a fuss made about the whole thing, when it came it a second time it was definitely better but we felt quite uncomfortable, we also wanted to order desert but the girl didn't come back to us for half and hour and when she did she said "so do you still want to order desert or?" and we just though hum uncomfortable and went into the bar for a drink other than this incident we found all other staff to be very nice and courteous, would we return to the hotel? Yes we would definitely give it a second chance had it not been for the thermal suite Im not sure we would feel the same but we did have a lovely experience there.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank 5starsdublin

Dear 5starsdublin

Thank you so much for taking the time to post a review following your recent visit, I am pleased to read that overall you enjoyed your stay with us.

In relation to your comments regarding some paint work needed, we have plans in store early in the New Year to carry out some some upgrading throughout the hotel which will include some interior decorating.

I am happy to hear that you availed of the hot tub and the thermal suite facilities and do hope you left feeling relaxed and rejuvenated.
I have also noted your constructive comments regarding some of the thermal suites been currently out of order, please be assured I will be investigating this with our maintenance team and have rectified immediately.

I was disappointed to hear that you received poor service from some of our restaurant team during your visit.
I can understand how this must have impacted on your stay and would like to sincerely apologise for the inconvenience caused.
We pride ourselves in personal service, it is very disappointing to hear that on this occasion we did not deliver the quality of service we aim for.
We like to think that our people are our best asset here in Dunboyne Castle Hotel & Spa ,we sincerely hope that you will trust in us to take this feedback constructively and rectify an exceptional experience which does not match the usual Dunboyne Castle Hotel Welcome.

Thank you for also highlighting the issues you encountered during your recent dining experience in The Ivy.
I understand that our restaurant manager has already been in contact with you to discuss further having received your comment card.
I trust that these issues will now be addressed promptly in order to nurture our reputation for high standards of service and food which has resulted in recently being awarded 2AA Rosettes.

Many thanks also for your positive feedback on our breakfast selection, we endeavour to try and use fresh local produce when possible so I am delighted to hear that you experienced this.

Finally I appreciate that you are willing to return to us and give us another opportunity.
Please contact me directly when you are planning your return visit and I will ensure to look after the arrangements for you.

Reviewed 15 November 2013

I stayed for 3 nights with 4 friends in early November. We needed a break after a busy conference, and decided to celebrate all our birthdays at the same time. The reception staff were welcoming and most helpful. The rooms - a large one each, were clean and attractive, with a very comfortable bed,all the toiletries and towels necessary. The food at the Ivy restaurant was superb - breakfast with every possibility of choice. The Early Bird dinner menu had plenty of options and the food was excellent. On our 3rd evening we had mentioned that this was our 'Birthday Dinner'. We were each brought a small plate of chocolate pieces to our rooms, then at the meal our desserts were individually presented on a slate with 'Happy Birthday' iced on each and a lit candle in the ice-cream, while the restaurant staff sang 'Happy Birthday' to us. A lovely touch!! We all enjoyed the spa facilities, and paid for some extra treatments. Overall, I couldn't fault this break, and I would recommend the' Dunboyne Castle and Spa' to anyone. Kate.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends

Dear Diamo13
Many thanks for the fantastic review posted recently and for taking the time to share your experience with us.
I am delighted to hear that you had experiences of all departments and found consistency throughout including Seoid Spa which is a wonderful facility,
I do hope you left feeling relaxed and rejuvenated.
We appreciate your kind comments on our rooms, we pride ourselves with a reputation for high standards of housekeeping and comfort, it is great to hear that this has been experienced by you.
I am pleased to hear your dining experience was enjoyed by all. The Ivy Restaurant has undergone some refurbishment and now displays gorgeous new decor and a fantastic new menu choice which we are pleased to see has been very well received. Our early bird menu is indeed very popular and starts off from only €21.95 and is served all evening Sunday-Thursday, Friday from 6.30pm-7.30pm .
We are indeed very privileged to have been recently awarded not 1 but 2AA rosettes.
I am glad to also hear that you enjoyed your breakfast, we try hard to cater for a wide selection of our guest’s tastes so it is great to hear that you have experienced this on your recent visit.

I am happy to hear that our team helped somewhat in the birthday celebrations. We do pride ourselves on going the extra mile for our guests and try hard to stand out as a warm and well managed hotel where you can relax and know that we will look after things for you, no matter how small so this is very encouraging to hear. I will ensure to pass on all your lovely feedback to the rest of the staff.

On behalf of everyone here, sincere thanks once again for your kind comments and I do hope it is not too long before we have the privilege of welcoming you back again.

Kind Regards

Reviewed 15 November 2013 via mobile

Had visited this spa hotel twice before and was very impressed. This time I was disappointed however. The temperature in the spa had not been increased to reflect the dip in temperature outside. Pool was cold, jacuzzi outside cold. Had sabbia med treatment which was seriously disappointing. Dirty sand, no aroma burning as described in the treatment description. Had to go look for my therapist to bring me to it after 10 minutes past my treatment time and nobody had come to bring me down. Full body massage disappointing, lady was nice but massage was poor.
Dinner that evening was unremarkable. Staff average age was 18 and it showed. Worst bannoffe pie I've ever had, served with a soup spoon, because they had run out of dessert spoons!
Overall very disappointed with the experience. I was graced with good company which made up for it but I won't be rushing back.

• Stayed: November 2013
1  Thank LegoDoctor

Dear Eimear_Keith
Many thanks for your review on Trip advisor.

However I am disappointed to hear that you received poor service from some of our team during your visit.

We pride ourselves in personal service, with a dedicated management team and staff all working together to provide a service and standard that we are renowned for so it is very disappointing to hear that we did not reach our aim on this occasion and we apologise for this.

Regarding your comments on our spa facilities, we regularly ensure that the spa is checked by our maintenance team on a daily basis and all the necessary procedures are carried out in accordance, please be assured I will be investigating this and have rectified immediately.

Thank you for highlighting the issues you encountered on your recent dining experience, I have to assume based on the fact that you mention banoffee pie that you had dinner in the Bar, as that specific dessert is not served in the Ivy Restaurant. I will speak with our Bar Manager and Executive Chef and address accordingly.

I am surprised at your comment regarding the average age of our staff as we have staff from very different ages working for us and most of them have been with us for some length of time.

Finally I would like to re-iterate, when we do receive complaints; we fully investigate the issues and endeavour to rectify the situation as best we can as we generally receive exceptional feedback from our guests on our standard of service, food and facilities.

We value your custom and appreciate that you have made the effort to return to Dunboyne Castle Hotel & Spa for a third time.

I do hope you will consider another visit to us so that we may have the opportunity to rectify this experience which does not match the usual Dunboyne Castle Hotel Welcome.