“Service and food disappointing ”

Dunboyne Castle Hotel And Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Dunboyne
Dublin, Ireland
“Service and food disappointing ”
Reviewed 11 June 2014 via mobile

Disappointing on all fronts. June Bank holiday Monday we (2Adults&2 kids) went to the hotel for our dinner in the terrace lounge and say it was disappointing is an understatement. I would like to say at this point we have done this a number of times in the past and had a very pleasant experience but this was far from it. Asked for the menus 3 times, then got up and got them myself. 2 groups got served before us when it was very obvious we were there before them. When we did order our food it took 50 minutes, chips for my son were cold and pizza and salmon were dried out from being under the heat lamp. My husbands fish and chips were 'ok but very dried out'. Service was poor and it was not busy and food was worse. We live locally but it will be along time before we are back. It feels like they are cutting costs on the food. Chips were worst than a fast food outlet and service was on the minus scale!

Stayed June 2014
1 Thank 133sinead
ElisabetDiaz, General Manager at Dunboyne Castle Hotel And Spa, responded to this review, 13 June 2014
Dear 133sinead

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on Tripadvisor about your recent visit to The Terrace Lounge.

I was saddened to read that you did not have an enjoyable experience with us. As you may be aware from your previous visits, this is most definitely not the normal type of service we offer to any guest here in Dunboyne Caste Hotel & Spa. We strive to ensure that all of our customers receive friendly, efficient service in comfortable surroundings. It is clear from reading your review that this did not happen and for this I profoundly apologise. Please be assured I will be carrying out a thorough investigation of the issues raised in your review with our bar manager and her team.

Please know that your constructive feedback regarding our food offering is important and taken to heart. We take great pride in consistently delivering excellent food for all of our guests. It is disappointing to hear that on this occasion we did not reach your expectations. Please be assured I will be raising your comments with our executive head chef and his team to discuss in detail.

Once again my sincere thanks for expressing your views which are extremely important to us as it is only through feedback from pro-active guests like yourself that we can hope to maintain the high standards for which Dunboyne Castle Hotel & Spa is renowned for.

Finally I do hope you will consider another visit to us so that we may have the opportunity to rectify this experience which does not match the usual Dunboyne Castle Hotel Welcome.

Elisabet Diaz

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (261)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Reviewed 9 June 2014

Found the service was very poor. No interest in pleasing guests to the point of ignoring them. Not just one individual either. This was a systemic failure. Groups ignored in preference to locals. Missing some services you would expect from a hotel of this supposed quality. No help in simple things like booking taxis, ordering drinks or turning the television to a particular channel. Extremely frustrating and disappointing.

• Stayed June 2014
2 Thank bucks65
ElisabetDiaz, General Manager at Dunboyne Castle Hotel And Spa, responded to this review, 12 June 2014
Dear bucks65

Thank you for your feedback and thank you most sincerely for choosing to stay here in Dunboyne Castel Hotel & Spa recently.

I am deeply saddened to read that you did not have a pleasant time whilst staying with us.

Unfortunately it is unclear from your review as to what areas you encountered some issues with. With that in mind, I would be grateful if you could forward either myself or our Operations Manager an email with a more detailed account of your stay. You can email me directly at ediaz@dunboynecastlehotel.com or alternatively our Operations Manager can be contacted on tbreen@dunboynecastelhotel.com.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Reviewed 9 June 2014

My sister booked us a fantastic Pigsback deal (€119 for B&B and a 2 course dinner each) for our birthdays back in February and we stayed on the 24th May last. We arrived at the hotel at 1.30 and enjoyed a fab lunch in the terrace lounge served by a lovely waitress called Stephanie. I tried to check in at 3.15 as check in time was 3pm but was told our room wouldn't be ready for a while as the hotel was full the previous night. I tried again at 3.30 & was told the same story I explained our spa treatments were booked for 5pm & we wanted to relax in the pool etc beforehand. I tried again at 3.45 & the receptionist offered to hold our bags & I said no we wanted to get changed in our room so we could go down to the spa in our robes. We eventually got into our room at 4pm so therefore our time in the spa area was very rushed. We both enjoyed our treatments immensely. The 2 course dinner in the Ivy was fantastic and compliments to the pastry chef as the cheesecake was to die for. We had a twin room & the beds were so comfortable we'd the best night sleep ever in a hotel. Breakfast the next morning was fantastic too and there was a huge choice. I would defiantly return as its a fab hotel and spa but next time I would let reception know my presence as soon as we arrive as it stated clearly on the email that check in time is 3pm

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
ElisabetDiaz, General Manager at Dunboyne Castle Hotel And Spa, responded to this review, 11 June 2014
Dear Blondie2804

Thank you for this wonderful feedback. I am very pleased to see that both yourself and your sister had such a nice and pleasant time with us in Dunboyne Castle Hotel & Spa.
Your positive feedback is most welcome and indeed very encouraging.

It is great to hear that you enjoyed the lunch selection in The Terrace Bar. The Terrace Bar is indeed a stylish place to eat in an informal setting, offering an extensive bar menu with a wide range of dining options to choose from. I am also delighted to hear that the food offerings for breakfast were appreciated along with the Ivy dinner as we continuously endeavour to ensure all our guests needs & tastes are catered for.

I am delighted you took time to avail of some spa treatments. At Seoid Spa, we endeavour to welcome you into a stress free, relaxing environment where you are guaranteed the ultimate in pampering and beauty. I do hope you both felt relaxed and rejuvenated after.

Many thanks for your kind words on our housekeeping, we pride ourselves with a reputation for high standards of housekeeping and comfort, it is great to hear that this has been experienced by you.

Your constructive feedback regarding the delay you experienced upon check in has been taken on board. Please accept my sincere apologies regarding this. Unfortunately we experienced extremely high occupancy levels from the previous night and as a result our accommodation team were slightly behind schedule on servicing the rooms.

On behalf of everybody here, sincere thanks again for your review and I do hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back again in the near future.

Reviewed 8 June 2014

I went to Dunboyne Castle a couple of weeks ago with a friend to celebrate her birthday. This friend by her own admission is hard to please and a connoisseur of spa treatments. She was blown away by the service during our 2 night stay. We booked a package which was great value as it included dinner on both nights. From the moment we arrived we were made feel so welcome.
My friend remarked that the person who recruits the staff for the hotel must have a great aptitude for picking the right people. Take a bow! I have to mention Orla in Seoid and Sophie in The Ivy who looked after us so well for breakfast both mornings. Carmen in The Ivy also deserves a mention. Looking forward to a return visit very soon.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Dear ykealy

Thank you for this wonderful feedback. I am very pleased to see that you had such a nice and pleasant time whilst celebrating your friend’s birthday with us here in the Dunboyne Castle Hotel & Spa. Your positive feedback is most welcome and indeed very encouraging.

As you have mentioned, we regularly run fantastic value breaks as we endeavour to create a variety of breaks to suit all budget types. It is great to see that you availed of one of these.

Your kind words on our spa facilities are much appreciated. Seoid Spa proves to be a real treat for guests providing a wide range of luxurious relaxing and rejuvenating treatment experiences and it is great to hear that you availed of this facility on your recent visit, I do hope you had a delightful experience.

We truly appreciate your kind feedback regarding the food offering in The Ivy. Our Executive Head Chef and his team continuously endeavour to offer a wonderful selection of menu’s, full of aromas, textures and mouth-watering flavours to suit everyone’s tastes and I am pleased to hear that you were happy with this.

Thank you very much for your lovely comments regarding our staff. It always gives me great pleasure to learn that our team give our guests such a memorable experience. Our team are committed to demonstrating the highest levels of hospitality and care to each customer. It is the dedication to detail and hard work of our staff, which has enabled the hotel to win so many awards including best customer service and welcome award from Meath Tourism. I will ensure to pass on your kind words to the rest of the team and especially to those whom you have mentioned.

On behalf of everybody here, sincere thanks again for your lovely review and I do hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back again in the near future.

Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 June 2014

The good parts: The whole hotel, from the public areas to the guest rooms are well appointed and finished in premium materials. The bed was comfortable, the TV entertainment system and wifi (free!) are about the most advanced I've seen and the bathroom was spacious with a bath and a separate shower cubicle. The bar staff were friendly, in fact all the staff were friendly.

The not-so-good parts: Just outside my room door there were some double doors in the corridor and the sound protection is non-existent. Several times during the night I was woken up by the door slamming and some considerate fellow talking at the top of his voice on his mobile as he walked down the corridor at 4am. It seemed a little tough to get the bar staff's attention when I was sat at a table waiting to order some food, but they were a little busy (though out of the four staff behind the bar only two seemed to be actively doing anything apart from chatting).

All in all it was a lovely stay and I would very happily stay at the Dunboyne Castle again, and would like to get to the restaurant and the spa next time.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Paul H
Dear Paul H

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience here with us at Dunboyne Castle Hotel & Spa.

We are delighted that you enjoyed many aspects of the hotel including the comfort of the bed, TV entertainment system and complimentary Wi-Fi throughout.
Equally, we are really glad to read of your satisfaction with our staff. It always gives me great pleasure to learn that our team give our guests such a memorable experience and I am happy to hear that all your needs were accommodated.

I acknowledge your constructive feedback regarding the noise you experienced in the corridor throughout the night and profoundly apologise for this. We did have a function in the hotel on the evening in question and while we always try to accommodate groups together to minimise disturbing other guests unfortunately this does not seem to have happened in your case. I will raise this with our Front of House Manager to ensure that room assignments are done more carefully going forward, where at all possible.

Thank you for highlighting the issue you encountered with slow service in the bar, I will ensure to pass on your constructive feedback to our Bar Manager and will ensure that she addresses same with her team.

I do hope we have the privilege of welcoming you back again in the future and perhaps on your next visit you will be able to sample the other amenities the hotel has to offer such as our restaurant and spa facilities.

Reviewed 6 June 2014

We stayed one night in Dunboyne Castle Hotel & Spa this week and it was just amazing. Everything from the room, to the staff and the food was amazing. The staff were so helpful and polite especially Gabrielle in the restaurant, Roy at reception and Rachel in the spa. In fact all members of staff that we came across were excellent throughout our stay. It is a beautiful hotel in a great location and it is extremely easy to get to. The room we stayed in was way beyond our expectations, it was simply gorgeous. Most of all it was comfortable. The food in the Ivy restaurant was outstanding and the service was exceptional. I would highly recommend dining here if you haven't done so already. My favourite part of the stay was definitely the spa. It was an experience I will never forget. We had use of the spa the whole 2 days and got 2 treatments while we where there. We got the couples lava shell massage and the rasul treatment. It was extremely relaxing and the staff were excellent and went out their way to accommodate us. Overall it was a fabulous stay and I will most definitely be back in the near future. I would highly recommend it to anyone looking for a lovely get a way.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Bebhinn1992

Thank you for taking the time to review the Dunboyne Castle Hotel & Spa on Tripadvisor.

I am delighted to read that you enjoyed so many aspects of your stay including the room allocated. We pride ourselves with a reputation for high standards of housekeeping and comfort, it is great to hear that this has been experienced by you.

It is a pleasure to read that you had a fine dining experience in The Ivy. Our head chef and his team endeavour to offer an exceptional dining experience of simple, yet delicious Irish cuisine using top local and seasonal ingredients, as we continuously endeavour to ensure all our guests needs & tastes are catered for.

Your kind words on our spa facilities are much appreciated. Seoid Spa proves to be a real treat for guests providing a wide range of luxurious relaxing and rejuvenating treatment experiences. I am delighted to hear that you availed of some treatments including the popular rasul treatment which is a great way of soothing and warming your muscles and softening your skin.

Thank you very much for your lovely comments regarding all of our staff. It always gives me great pleasure to learn that our team give our guests such a memorable experience and I am happy to hear that all your needs were accommodated. I will ensure to pass on your kind words to the rest of the team and in particular to those whom you have mentioned.

On behalf of everyone here, sincere thanks once again for your kind comments and I do hope it is not too long before we have the privilege of welcoming you back again.

Reviewed 3 June 2014

My daughter and I stayed here on Sunday night 25th May. We came especially for the spa treatments. Everything was top rate, food fantastic, service excellent, even the birds were singing outside our window! There was a lovely woodland view!

The relaxation rooms, pool, hot tub, sauna, + our treatments, were all so relaxing. The time just flew by.

Room Tip: Ask for a woodland view!