Racket Hall Country House Hotel
Ballaghmore Castle(Borris-in-Ossory)
  • Restaurant
Roundwood House(Mountrath)
View Hotel
All reviewsracket hallon arrivalsteakcountry musiclovely hotelcountry housejacuzzi bathsaturday nightcourse dinnertwo nightstop classcooked to perfectionbed was very comfortableold stylecooked breakfastcouldn't do enoughfood was amazing
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 20 August 2014

My sister held her wedding in Rackethall on the 8th of August. From the time we entered the hotel and until the time we left (2 days later) I could not fault the hotel, the food or the staff. They were absolutely top class. All that attended the wedding completely agreed.

• Stayed: August 2014
4  Thank Kildare93
Reviewed 13 August 2014 via mobile

We spent 2 nights in racket hall for a family wedding on 8th August. This hotel was excellent for a wedding. The manager and all
The staff were absolutely top class. Service was second to none and the bar staff so accommodating. Rooms are nice and comfy and for the amount of time we actually spent in the room they served the purpose. We had bed and breakfast rates which were extremely reasonable. It was a young
Persons wedding with plenty of drinking and craic and we really
Felt like we had the run of place
For the weekend. Dinner was absolutely fab with a choice for both starters and mains and good size portions. All in all I would recommend anyone to try the racket hall and I know from talking to the couple themselves they spoke so highly
Of anyone they were dealing with. The staff make this venue from bar staff to wait staff to anyone on reception. Highly recommended.

Stayed: August 2014
1  Thank shopaholic98
Reviewed 11 August 2014

This is a tough one, not sure if I should have scored this a "Poor" or an "average". It really was somewhere in between. I'll go with average based on the rate we paid. We stayed at Racket Hall for one night, a Saturday. The outside looks tired but thankfully our room was quite nice. Spacious, clean, nice dark furniture and a really big bed. The bed had a few dodgy springs but not uncomfortable. There was one small chip from the wall and the carpet looked scruffy. While I'm sure it was clean it really does need replacing, almost threadbare in places. I found the receptionist to be a bit lacking in personality, she wasn't rude or anything just not overly welcoming. The staff in the bar and at breakfast, however, were very friendly.
The public areas, such as the lobby and what they refer to as the parlour were quite scruffy also. In particular the upholstery on the armchairs, grubby and shiny. Yuck. I'm sure some arm covers could be made? I got a similar impression in the breakfast area the next morning. Fabric on the chairs grubby and an un fresh smell in the air.
I do understand that replacing anything costs money which is all easier said than done, however, cleaning doesn't cost too much other than elbow grease.
Overall, for what we paid (got a great online discount) we were happy. Not sure I'd go back though.

Room Tip: Request a room at the back of the hotel. The front is onto a main road which can be quite busy and noisy especially in the morning. Also, a room away from the elevators is always a good option.
2  Thank KerryPenguin
Reviewed 9 August 2014

We booked this hotel at short notice for Saturday 2nd August. The exterior of the hotel does not look great, but what a surprise we got when we were shown to our bedroom. Spotlessly clean, amazing furniture, and very spacious. The hotel itself has a lot of old world furniture which adds to the atmosphere. Great food, great staff and management. Less than two hours from Dublin, watch out for their special offers. Highly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: All the rooms are lovely.
1  Thank Annette H
Reviewed 4 August 2014

I recently attended a wedding at this venue...the hotel is a little dated but the staff were nice and I enjoyed most of my meal. The Caesar salad was tasty as was the soup....I asked for the vegetarian option which was very bland and extremely unappetising (cold rice with stir fried peppers and onion in a sweet chilli sauce)....however the beef looked tasty and those who ate it confirmed it with me...the trio of deserts were very nice too...chocolate cake, cheese cake and apple pie...the bar served non alcoholic beer for those who were driving..i wonder what the food is like in the bar/restaurant?