“Very nice if a little impersonal”

Hunguest Hotel Palota
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Lillafured
London, United Kingdom
“Very nice if a little impersonal”
Reviewed 22 October 2011

This is an impressive hotel, well worth staying at, in a lovely setting. However, seemed a bit impersonal what with conferences going on and rather poor buffet dinner. Room was comfortable. There is a very nice separately owned cafe restaurant up the road overlooking the lake - have a bottle of wine and enjoy the peace and tranquility;

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank Hopeful-Guest

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Budapest
Reviewed 22 August 2011

Stayed at Palota Hotel for 2 nights - location and surrounding is great, our windows were looking to the lake, but I think the other side (garden) is even nicer. We had a small suite, refurnished and renovated I think in recent years - it had enough space, was nice and comfortable - but: the balcony was very-very small, the lights were poor in the bathroom and I also missed handkerchieves.
Food: dinner was ok, very tasty - but desserts were a disappointment - no choice, bad quality. Breakfast also ok, except for the juices, which were mostly water - a mistake easily avoidable at this level of hotel, I do not understand why do not they change it, really.
Wellness area is also seemed to be quite new, with a few people in the early morning, it is a pleasant place to stay for a few hours. Massage: book well in advance, when we were there, we couldn't get one for the 2 days we were staying.

Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank egermadar
Europe
Reviewed 9 August 2011

It is really a great place to stay. The hotel is gorgeous, the rooms are nice but a little small ( we stayed in a standard double room ). A minus the television programs are only in Hungarian and German and only like 15 chanels.
The lake and the waterfall and the garden are very pleaseant to visit. It is an ideal place for a romantic and quiet getaway.
The spa and wellness area are very nice and clean, and in the morning are very few people.
We had halfboard, the food was good, with different buffet diner each evening. In the evening you had to buy your drinks.
We liked it and will defenitely come back.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with balcony
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank mya2002
Glen Waverley, Australia
Reviewed 12 July 2011

My husband and I stayed at the Palota Hotel for three days. The service was fantastic, the staff were helpful and accommodating. Their knowledge of English was good too. Our room was really clean and fresh and it was serviced every day. I left my iPhone re-charger and Austrlian power adaptor in the wall socket. I rang them the following day and I had it returned to me straight away. I was also pleased that the one rate applied to locals and tourists, unlike previous experiences in eastern european countries. The food was great too. Hungarian food. Fantastic! So glad to see. If I travel to Hungary I want to eat like a Hungarian. We will definitley be back. Great value for our money :)

Room Tip: In summer, go for terrace access. In winter go for lake view.
  • Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank svakes
Brighton
Reviewed 12 July 2011

My wife and I stayed here as part of a walking holiday package.

The hotel has post war/communism been restored to something like it's orginal 1930's granduar. From the outside it is striking in both look and situation being next to a pretty lake.

Our room had a balconey and all mod cons - if a little on the small size - it was perfectly clean and we slept well in the kingsize bed. The hotel has very grand public spaces and rooms. The spa has recently been modernised and is one of the best I have been in anywhere. My wife had a massage which she described as 'ok'.

Staff were always helpful.

Food (in a very grand room) - Breakfast buffet - as you would expect. The two evening meals were both buffet style and to be honest a bit hit and miss - in our experience outside of Budapest hotels seem to have evening buffets. One quaint note on our first evening, dinner was accompanied by a man on a 'Hammond Organ' who could manage requests.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Grinders13
Budapest, Hungary
Reviewed 30 May 2011

The hotel is next to a small, but very pretty lake. It makes a very nice impression from the outside and has nice grounds including a terraced garden that leads to the waterfall near the hotel.

You can approach the hotel by Miskolc bus 5 or 15. The hotel has directions on their website. We used the LAEV (http://www.laev.hu/) which is a small forest railway that has been restored and runs into the Bukki park hills, stopping at Lillafured, Train for sure runs in the Spring and Summer. I would be less certain outside of these times. If you come to Miskolc by train, you would catch the 1 or 1a bus from the central train station. Bus ticket can be bought at the stop or on the bus. It is a distance to get to the LAEV station, but the bus announces it on a screen A short walk toward some small restaurants/sorozzo's will bring you to where the bus runs. Tickets can be ourchased on the train, 600 forint per person as of May 2011. The train stops at a station at Lillafured and it is a very short walk to the hotel.

Hotel as I mentioned looked very nice on approach and the inside is also very good. Chess sets are available in the lobby bar and you can borrow other sports equipment. There is a trampoline outside as well as some other things for kids. Lake has rowboats you can rent. Cannot swim on the lake I was not so impressed by the pools inside the hotel, though there are some heated thermal pools inside.

Reception staff spoke English. I speka some Hungarian and my girlfriend speaks Hungarian, so I cannot comment on the hother staff. My guess is that you can get by if you know some German in addition to English.

Room was nice. Very quiet and comfortable. Lots of room actually. I think it was relatively recently renovated. Bathoom had a very large shower. Small LCD TV that was on the other side of the room. Not too many channels. 12 if I recall in Hungarian and German. No English option. We were next to the elevator, but didn't hear it or any noise from outside of the room. Really, it was very comfortable.

Internet mostly worked. When it did work, it was fast. When it didn't and it would sometimes slow or stop working, I wasn't sure why. There were three connections in the hotel. Two were palota local connections and the 3rd was THome. I think all were linked, but I found that if the internet slowed, if you connected to the THome connection and reconnected to the Palota connection. it would work again. Signal ws good, so I suspect something with how it is setup.

The usual package seems to include breakfast and dinner, though I suspect you can also just get breakfast. Guitar player was playing classical guitar music every morning. First evening, someone was playing popular music during dinner, but not on the second night. There are two restaurants for meals, but there were not so many people there the weekend we were there, so they mostly used the Hunyadi restatuarant. Both have interesting decorations and glasswork.

The meals were somewhat typical of a Hungarian hotel. In other words, not too many vegetarian options. I'm not vegetarian, so this wasn't an issue for me, but something to consider. There were 5 maincourse selections as well as a number of salads, two soups and dessert for dinner. Breakfast included scrambled eggs (with han) as well as bacon, sousages, assorted cheeses, rolls, etc. If you don't get the meal package, there is a restaurant and panzio next to the Palota that has good meals as well as a good view of the lake. Also, some small Bufe's next to the train station for snacks during the day.

For activites, there are hiking trails near the hotel. You can also take the train to Garadna and back or take the trails from there. Down the hill from the hotel, maybe 2 kilometers is a zoo as well as the Herman Otto house.

In general, I thought it was a very nice place and would go back for a few days again.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Pavasarys
New Delhi, India
Reviewed 13 May 2011

well we were there for my birthday with my husband and another couple. hotel is beautiful at a sexy location without a doubt. language with the staff was a very very big issue. the hotel boosts about its spa and pool. well the pool & sauna section is fantastic. awesome had fun. but the massage was the worse ever in my life. A probably 60 yr old woman to do the same who wears her wedding band and a bangle to do the massage. pathetic. We being vegetarian had major food issues in the hotel. Despite of writing to them end no of times, there were no food arrnagements made for us considering that we did not eat meat and fish. dinner as well was included inthe price but we practically ate nothing. food around in that area is amazing. had some best meals at the murphy's pub & a road side place in miskolc. the bowling and billard table, the bar area was very very sad. seemed as if nobody has used for decades. I ordered vodka which got over and they called for it from the main bar, which came in a glass and was poured in the bottle in front of me. not sure what did they serve to me. this is what a 4 star hotel does. WOW!!! rooms were small but pretty cosy and cute. Location & peace is what might take me back. you may book but without any meals...

• Stayed May 2011, travelled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lillafured
Bambara Hotel
#4 of 17 in Miskolc
La Contessa Castle Hotel
La Contessa Castle Hotel
#2 of 2 in Szilvasvarad

Been to Hunguest Hotel Palota? Share your experiences!