“Run down resort!”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Pedro Gonzales
Vienna, Austria
“Run down resort!”
Reviewed 28 May 2013

Really run down after years of little or no maintenance. Dunes has great beaches but the resort itself is not worth considering, particularly if you pay at the official exchange rates (or use a credit card from abroad)
They have severals bars that serve cold beer and mixed drinks, but they use cheap liquors to mix them and this made me worry because those liquors were "no brand'.
Service is almost non existent: Our door knob would not work and we went to reception to have it repaired. After several days they could not fix it, though they promised immediate service.
The buffet meals offer some variety of bland food. Breakfast is fine but lunch and dinner not so tasty.

Room Tip: The premium rooms are supposed to be better but are located far away and you will need to take the s...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank AlejandroJaime

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
  • Polish first
Oshawa, Canada
Reviewed 24 May 2013

If you love the surf, easy going people, great excursions, and pretty good food for the price then this is the place for you. We stayed here our first trip to the island and another place the second time, we missed this place. It is not 5 star by no means, bed sucked, lizards in room (love lizards) and the place was old and run down... but it was fun, and the food at the beach was great, if you want to see nature and feel safe, come to margarita island and stay at the dunes, its an amazing rustic tour.. (btw we dont speak spanish - staff didnt speak english) we worked through it

We will go back

Room Tip: I hate resort food but actually found lots to eat here, surprisingly enough...
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank surfettt
Anchorage, Alaska
Reviewed 21 April 2013

Since we were unable to stay at Laguna Mar (which in my opinion is the best place to stay on this island) we decided to try out Dunes. Venezuela has some of the warmest, most beautiful beaches I have ever experienced. What I liked about this resort was that it had such a beach incorporated in the resort. I wouldn't recommend the beach for young children though since the waves can get intense. However, there are pools deep enough for children as well as adults. The food is decent, however, my favorite part was the breakfast which had empanadas, arepas, and cachapas. The dinner menu changes every day. There was also all included drinks although there wasn't much variety. There is also nightly entertainment, a game area with pingpong tables, a mini movie theater, nightly karaoke, as well as a family discoteque. There is also a shuttle that takes you from the rooms to the main area and it arrives every 10 minutes or so. I also liked how our rooms included wi-fi. The friendly atmosphere also created by other guests as well as the staff members made for a truly incredible experience. My only real complaint is getting bombarded by people trying to sell you things at the beach even after having bought something. My only suggestion is to make sure to talk down the original price.
We only stayed here for 3 days but would have loved to stay longer if we didn't have to visit other relatives.

*After reading previous reviews about visitors being robbed or having things stolen, I can say my family had no such problem although even when we would leave our rooms during the day our suitcases would be locked with our valuables. I didn't bother bringing jewelry on my trip to begin with. Sadly, it's just the way things are due to all the corruption in this country :( The rusty/cold water, is not just a feature of this resort but the whole country as a result of our dictator's questionable interests but that's an entirely different discussion.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank mercedesandreina
Trinidad
Reviewed 18 April 2013

I just got back from Dunes resort on Margarita Island where I celebrated my anniversary. I feel obligated to warn fellow travellers about this place! The resort itself is beautiful but you can tell its run down. I must say one of the highlights of my trip was the premium rooms because of internet. Dunes staff was not polite at all, the shuttle ran fairly ok, food was the same for breakfast each day, lunch was ok, however dinner was a remix of lunch. Very few person spoke English, it’s my opinion that language was a problem.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Carol874
Port of Spain, Port-of-Spain, Trinidad and Tobago
Reviewed 18 April 2013

We had a great time because it was 17 of us.Our room in the premium section was very good the ac was tops,the room was clean and spacious. maid service was good.The food was ok it was not a great variety for lunch and dinner it was almost the same thing every night, the breakfast was the best.The staff was very pleasant and security was good.The departure from Venezuela was the most horrible thing i have ever witness they make you feel as if you are in a military boot camp,they have to check and double check then they have to give you a rub down and to top it off last exit point to the airplane they have to check your purse 'AGAIN'.BY DOING THIS THEY STEAL YOUR MONEY. Yes that is the truth because they stole us160 from my sister-in-law and us 300 from a friend. It is disgusting to spend so much money had a good time and left with a bad taste in your mouth because of the airport security!!!!!!!!!

Room Tip: the premium room was great
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank Aleyia Y
Kitchener, Canada
Reviewed 16 April 2013

I had the best 1 week vacation of my life here, using the dunes as a home base. I travelled alone here, but met many cool people. my first room was not nice, but I was able to upgrade to the new section for only 580bs! (about $25 using the blackmarket exchange rate.) compare this to $200 to upgrade with my booking back home!!! I highly recommend waiting and doing this at when you get here, especially if you are travelling solo as I was.

it is the crazy exchange rate that made this vacation so great, as the food on this resort was the worst I have ever had in a 4 star resort. but a car rental for the week(not for everyone!!! best to use taxis as they are very cheap and safe) was only $100 and it cost 8 cents to fill the tank with gas!!!! with this I was able to drive to the beach restaurants in playa el agua and enjoy great food, for crazy good prices! about $4 for a steak dinner!

I also drove to other spots, such as el yaque and stayed a few nights in hotels there as it only cost me about $30 per night with breakfast! so the cost of things off the resort made the trip. the beach at dunes is not very good, but there are great ones not far away.

I RECOMMEND THIS as a solo traveller, because I met some great people here, and that made my trip. I would only stay at dunes because it was cheap ($700 all taxes ect in, no single supplement) for the week, cheaper than just a flight here.

you cannot stay just on the resort here and enjoy yourself. go to dominican, mexico or jamacia for that. I dont think you can do this in margarita island at all. the all inclusives here are some of the worst I have encountered. but the cost of off resort activities makes up for it.

Room Tip: there are some pretty cool rooms in the old section, on the top floors, but it is hit and miss.most...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank michaelonmyown
Bowmanville, Canada
Reviewed 13 April 2013

Just got back from spending three days at this isolated Venezuelan Beach Resort. Since I was just kicking back and relaxing I didn't really mind that we were very isolated and around 10 kiometers from a major center. The highlight of the resort is the beach. It is a world class beach of close to 5 kilometers of lenght nestled within (you guessed it) Sand Dunes. The service was quite good and the staff was very friendly. The rooms were clean and everything worked well but I believe the rooms could stand some maintenance and newer furniture. The hotel is an all inclusive and I thought the food was great with variety for all. There was also a movie theatre than featured recent flics and a nightly show to go along with a very intensive program by the pool throughout the day. Read all the reviews about this place if you are from out of the country. They tend to be very mixed and after my stay I can understand why. I would go back though in the future.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
#13 of 89 in Margarita Island
Unik Hotel Margarita
Unik Hotel Margarita
#2 of 8 in Pampatar

Been to Dunes Hotel & Beach Resort? Share your experiences!