“you get what you pay for...”

Dunes Hotel & Beach Resort
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Pedro Gonzales
Reviewed 27 August 2013

We travelled as a family of 5 adults in February/March of 2009. At time of travel we found out that they were no longer making flights direct from the UK to Margarita.
We can't say we didn't enjoy our holiday, but we can say they were a lot of things we could and would of changed. We had been told not to accept the first rooms we were put in as they always try and put you in the rooms nearest the entrance, which at the time were dated, and smelt of damp, probably as they weren't used as much as they should have been. We got re located to nearer reception, but because of this we were split up. I had a room to myself 2 floors above my brothers who were sharing a room and my parents were two blocks up the concourse. Not ideal but we made the best of a awkward situation. The only problem we had with insects etc was after they fumigated???!!!!!no complaints prior to that!
The pool area was fantastic, spotlessly clean, 1 gentleman cleaned the pools every day, he was a credit to the hotel! Bar area was ok, they served drinks all day and bought out afternoon tea around 4ish. But didn't understand the concept of hot water to make tea with, kept bringing cold water!
Food was a lot to be desired for, it was very hit a miss. Breakfast was fine, plenty of selection. It was lunch and evening meals that we struggled with. And of top of that unless you got there early, they struggled to seat us, we were only a family of 5, not that big but they panicked if you were a group bigger than 3! We did enjoy the bbq night, I will give thir dues, that was very tasty.
Entetainment group did what they could, they were very talented but it was a bit repetitive. Their 'we will rock you' tribute night was excellent!

All in all we had an ok stay, made better by the friends we made and our own entertainment as a family, but we wouldn't go back there!!

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Holsamust
There are newer reviews for Dunes Hotel & Beach Resort

Reviewed 22 August 2013

Rooms were generally good. The drapes need to be cleaned and fixed to rods. The toilet had to be fixed inorder to flush better. Maids cleaned room everyday. Food was good and there was a variety of things to choose from. Main problem was the unreliable and untimely airline. Krystal Travel knows about this and they should have provided a meal for each passenger and not let us suffer from 2.30 pm to 9.45 pm at Piarco Int Airport to go to Margarita and from 6.45 am check out at Dunes to 2.50 pm when we boarded Estelar Airlines to return to Trinidad. Please be aware that we hardly had time to eat breakfast and we had no lunch. Although we had money, there wasn't any resturant to buy anything at Margarita Airport. I advise you walk with 2 packs of Crix as backup. I am very dissapointed with Krystal Travel for being so unconcerned and heartless to so many kids and seniors on our flight. Be aware of their tour operators, their prices to go to the flea market, waterpark, Dolphin and amusement park are ridiculous. I advise you take a hotel taxi and ask them to pick you up at a particular time. Do not change you US with them you can get a better rate on the beach.

• Stayed: August 2013
6  Thank dissapointedtrini
Reviewed 14 August 2013

For those of you looking for an honest, realistic review then you should go ahead and read this review. My group consisting of twelve persons recently returned from spending four nights at Dunes Hotel. For most persons on the trip this was our second trip to Margarita, however, on our first visit (April 2013) we stayed at La Guna Mar. Having no major problems with that hotel the group just decided to try somewhere else and experience something new.

VACATION DATE: 4th August 2013 to 8th August 2013

FLIGHT: Be prepared for delays ESTELAR charter used by PHIL TOURS 658-4533 (the best travel agent) is not as bad as the other charters. Give them a call and book you getaway. Do not book a flight that leaves Trinidad anytime after 4 in the afternoon you will not get to Margarita until midnight, yes those other charters can be that bad

LOCATION: Dunes is approximately 45 minutes from the boulevard and the airport and about 35minutes away from SAMBIL mall. For us distance was not a problem since most of us are from the North Eastern side of Trinidad so we are accustom to long distances to and from the airport and to and from shopping areas. La guna mar is a mere 15 – 20 mins from the Boulevard, Airport and Sambil Mall.

EXCHANGE RATE & SHOPPING: Do not change all your US dollars on the bus transporting you to the hotel. The going rate is 1US to 30 Bolivars, tour guides give you 1US to 25 Bolivars. Inquire in the lobby about where you can get your money changed.Shopping is great shop, shop, shop you can get it all perfumes, clothes, handbags, shoes, electronics, bed spreads as well as kitchen utensils and for those of you who may need an extra suitcase you can get one for a reasonable price (I know I had to buy one). Ask the taxi to take you to the boulevard shopping there is great. The Sambil mall also offers nice options but like all malls there are some cheap stores and some expensive stores. Trinidadians have a way of finding bargain stores so I know you trinis will find the bargain stores. Before I forget if it’s a group of you do not take the trips offered to the mall or boulevard by the tour guides u can pay for a taxi split up the cost with the members in your group and pay way less to go to and from your destination. Just let the taxi know what time you want to be picked up. Inquire from the front desk about taxi service.

ROOMS: So my group booked PREMIUM rooms and if you are going to Dunes you should do the same since these are new. The air condition is great, rooms are clean, the bathrooms are also clean and well maintained. If you want your towels changed drop the dirty ones on the floor in the bathroom area otherwise they will not be changed daily. Each room has a balcony which was a definite plus for me and I had a pool view so I could come outside, sit and enjoy the view daily. Please note that this hotel is a huge compound with a central lobby area with several apartment buildings, the Premium wing being the newest. Fear not u can use the restaurants, bars, pools anywhere on the compound you are not restricted to using one area. There are regular shuttles to transport you around the compound. You should note that each building consists of three floors and there are no elevators but remember pack light because you will be doing a lot of shopping on the island so your suitcases would be light going up, coming down is not a problem. Additionally you will need the exercise if you fully indulge yourself in the all you can eat buffet.

POOL: Looked a little questionable the first night we arrived but by morning time looked clean and inviting. This was the general appearance of the pool for the days we spent at the hotel.

FOOD: The Beach Bar is definitely the best. The pasta at the TILPIA restaurant is great and the chefs although their English is limited try their best to please you. You can definitely find something to eat, for the non adventurous and health conscious there is lots of vegetables and fruits. We did not try the other restaurant.

ENTERTAINMENT: This was the down part for me unlike at La Guna Mar the shows held at Dunes were in Spanish only there was no one translating to English. So although I can understand a few words because of the speed at which they were speaking we were completely lost so attending these shows made no sense. Additionally while at La Guna Mar the DJ at the disco played trini music here was strictly Spanish. The cinema was non operational at the time of our visit. The spa was great and you should definitely check ANA for your manicure and pedicures.

The hotel needs to ensure that its emergency alarms are functional at all times, proper emergency escapes should be identified. Emergency signs should be in both English and Spanish. All in all a good vacation. For those of you expecting a five star hotel for the money you paid you are being highly ridiculous and quite frankly you should stay here in Trinidad and go to the HYATT see how much you will pay for an all inclusive at a five star hotel. As I always say be realistic and keep an open mind everyone’s experience is different.

Room Tip: Premium Rooms only ask for tower 53
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
31  Thank Tocolady
Reviewed 10 August 2013

Be prepared to waste 2 days in the airport. The La Perla flights are unreliable with no redress for lost time. Check out remains 12:00 pm regardless of the time of your departure. However, the management allows visitors the courtesy of enjoying the other facilities until confirmation of check in time at the airport since it changes frequently. Sharpen up on your Spanish. Taxis can be acquired at your leisure for much less than the tour operators fee to visit shopping areas. Check the board in the lobby to maximise your entertainment experiences. Great spa! This facility needs to install fire escapes and working emergency equipment.

Room Tip: Do not get rooms in the same building with youth groups if you are looking for peace and quiet. Ther...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 15 July 2013

Well the flight was schedules for 1pm. The morning of the flight, we were contacted at 7:45 am and told the flight was moved up to 9:30am. You could imagine our horror! We then had to rush to the airport. We arrived at bout 10:30am and upon check in we were told that we had to wait to ensure that all the passengers arrived before take off. The fight was then scheduled for 12:30pm which was then delayed again.We received a snack to the value of TT$35. and told that they had no idea when we would depart. Finally at about 2:45pm we left Trinidad.

When we arrived at the airport our tour guides were already awaiting us (thank god). Luggage was loaded and we were off to the hotel. The ride was about 45 mins. When we arrived at the hotel it was 4:45pm and the only restaurant that was still open was the beach restaurant (closes @ 5pm). So we had to rush off the bus to the beach restaurant,leaving our luggage in the open. When we arrived at the restaurant I couldn't believe my eyes!. There were flies everywhere, the food wasn't properly covered, food spilled out of the containers they were in and most items wasn't labelled. Everything looked like it was vomited up and played with. I ate nothng. I drank a pepsi and went to my room.

We we housed on the ground floor in one of the premium towers. Upon entering the room, the first thing you noticed was the poor lighting throughout. The room smelled dusty and old. There were 2 single beds with a table wit a lamp on it. The lighting in the bathroom was poor as well. The room wasn't dirty, but there was a constant dirty feeling that just wouldn't leave me. Later on I found out why.....While unpacking I was startled by a rat....yes u heard me a RATTTTT! I'm sorry bout I don't live with rats. We immediately went to reception to inform them & we were told that there's grass and a lagoon near by so rats are expected. I stared at him in shock,he then asked if we would like to be moved to a higher floor and we accepted (as if rats don't climb walls). This room was a bit better because of the king sized bed.

The curtains need washing,need to improve on the bath soap( out of packaging),shampoo and conditioner (they had no labels), toilet wouldn't flush properly and u would hear when the person above you did ad sometimes the water in the shower would run cold. I thought the nightmare would improve the following day with respect to the food but it didn't,it got worse. Most things still wasn't labelled,meats were hard,fish was fresh,flies were still everywhere, plates were dirty even though they were in the clean pile,cutlery was dirty (i had to find a water cooler in the dining area and wash them over before use), cheap plastic mats were used and the tables were sometimes laid over night the guard....yes by security! Their alcohol is a whole joke! The worst thing you'll ever taste. Juices are sour or watered down. I didn't bother to try the beer. The safest thing is the bottled water they leave in your room. Service was poor overall and they couldn't speak much English. Oh how could i forget the bees. The bar by the pool was infested by bees. Be careful not to get stung while waiting on your drink or while sitting by the pool.

The pools were even nastier. A white,mucky,frothy substance ever so often floated on the surface of the water during the evening period. I would believe it was the dirt that was stripped off bathers' skin by the chlorine during that day. We asked how often to they clean the pool and they said everyday, but we never seemed to see that take place ( we were up pretty late). So the best time to bathe would be 5:30/6 am before anyone else enters the pool, after that, bathe at your own risk!

The beach is rough for adults and worse for children. The best part about this tip was the Sambil mall. If you could find a hotel near there, stay there, it's the only place worth visiting.

Room Tip: RUN! RUN! RUN! Don't bother to choose this island
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
6  Thank reese g
Reviewed 8 July 2013

Was surprised by the value of this destination (but only if you pay in Bolivares at the street rate). Do not exchange you money in the airport at the official change facilities or change just enough for a taxi ride (250 Bolivares) and then change in the hotel. The rate is about 28 to $1US vs. government approved 6 to $1US. Then, hotel and full meal and drink (including alcoholic bevereges) packages for 3 people amounted to about $79/day! There are several bars on the property and no real lines waiting on drinks. We did not speak much Spanish but could read some. The people were very gracious and accommodating and could speak good English. The resort also had daily activities by the pool. The island beaches are beautiful, especially on the resort. There are also beautiful remotre beaches. We also took an island tour and went on a snorkeling excursion (equivalent to about $30US each per person). I would recommend trying to get a room in the newer section of the resort where the rooms are newer. All-in-all we had a wonderful time and will go back! If possible, do not use your credit cards and even if possible, pay for your flight in Bolivares. Look for direct flight from Miami vs. going through Aruba or Caracas (has to be on Venezuellan airlines such as Laser or Avior or Aeropostale. My teenage children had great fun!

Room Tip: Request a room in the newer section.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank John K
Reviewed 22 June 2013 via mobile

Well let start of by saying that I was not really to excited about this trip, for a number of different reasons two in particular number 1. would be the language barrier( it is a Spanish speaking country) an number 2. The safety of my family. Let me tell you all of my fears were eliminated on day one. When we arrived at the airport we were greeted by our Krystal tour agent who spoke good English and he directed us to our waiting bus. The ride was approximate. 40min while coming off the bus we were greeted with a nice salsa dance and a cool refreshing drink. The rooms were clean and comfortable, but the bathroom shower to be exact could do with a lot more maintenance. We had a junior suite room to accommodate my family, my husband a1 yr old & a five yr old. The grounds of the hotel is large and well kept, there is an efficient shuttle service that takes you to the main building and back. The hotel is beach front and has a beautiful white sand beach, look out for Juliet she does great massages beach front! & the guy with the Mccoy parrots, he charges you to take photos with them(great memories) I found the beach to be a bit rough, not such a good idea with small kids, but adults should be fine however the pools made up for that, lovely pools, my kids totally enjoyed it. We did not spend the majority if time in the hotel, our tour agent arranged daily tours for us like shopping tours at malls, flea markets,( change your money there they give you US$ 1 to $28 bolivars, while your tour agent gives you US$ 1 to $24 Bolivars) down town ( cheaper better place to shop), there is also an island tour and a water park tour. The meals were ok, but very monotonous, security was excellent, I noticed a lot of families there so that made me feel more comfortable, service was great, will I return... Most definitely! I had an absolutely wonderful time

• Stayed: June 2013
LIDOTEL Hotel Boutique Margarita
Unik Hotel Margarita
Unik Hotel Margarita
#2 of 8 in Pampatar

Been to Dunes Hotel & Beach Resort? Share your experiences!