“The Good and the Bad”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Pedro Gonzales
toronto
“The Good and the Bad”
Reviewed 12 February 2010

Stayed here with my wife in Jan.Perfect beach,best on the island ,and we went to 90% of the beaches on the island in our rental car.Nice rooms ,kept very clean (dont forget to tip the cleaners).Beach was kept very clean,and the local guys hawking their wares were cool,did'nt hassle you if you said no etc etc,and done good bargins too.
Security staff at the hotel were pleasant and helpful.
Grounds were kept very well.The people who do the tours and have their öffices"set up near /around the lobby were very helpful and nice,,,even when the inquires had nothing to do with them.
Best part of all was the nightly shows,,,,the lead dancer Tiffinay,and all her dancers were FANTASTIC,,,REALY !,and I usualy dread the shows every resort puts on,,but these guys were professionals,,,,,
That was the good part......
THE BAD
Food------same every day I'll repeat,,,SAME EVRY DAY,,,,bland ,very little choice,and serving reheats from one day to the other....Breakfast had boiled patatoes ,,,hmmmmm same patotoes(and other stuff) as the last night and more like that ...No ice cream for desert...rating on the food out of 100-------5,,and only because the coffe con leche was GREAT.
Hotel staff (except cleaners and security)---Very bad attitude,especialy the bar staff (well ,,,most of the bar staff ,not all),not very friendly if you did'nt have any spanish (btw,,I speak spanish so I did'nt get much attitiude from them ,but my wife and other english speakers did have problems).Main reception staff ,,,no manners...sorry ,but I grew up with a please and thank you gracias y de nada,,,,,but dont expect any manners from them there.
Serving Staff in the dining area were slow and could'nt care less attitude,especialy the cook with the scrambled /boiled eggs/ omelettes downright rude.
THE WALK---sorry but when your room is a 8 min walk to the beach ,,,it's a PITA in 30 degrees cel.

I might think about going back though,as the beach was great,,but the price would need to tempt me,along with some assurance that the issues above were resolved.

BTW.Change your american dollars with the beach dudes,,,,their cool and wont rip you off or steal your money,and pay for your rental car in the local currency,,,,If I had paid in dollars I would have paid $498 usd,,,instead of $219 usd in the local currency.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple
4 Thank DECKIE2005

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
  • Polish first
Delhi Ontario
Reviewed 10 February 2010

We vacationed from Feb 2 to Feb 9, 2010. We had previously stayed at the Hesperia Resort next to the Dunes so we had some experience in Margarita.

We started the vacation on the rough side as our teenage daughter's luggage did not arrive from Toronto. With language barriers we were frustrated as to what the protocol was. Finally we had an airport attendent complete a luggage incident report. With this taking up time we held up the rest of the travellers who were waiting patiently in the bus. We were informed we could get up to $30 a day to a max of $175 for the inconvernience but to make sure we kept reciepts if we purchased anything. With only one flight a week we knew she was not going to get her luggage. She did great and did have a few items in moms bag and her carry on. We only had to by some basics for her.

We arrived at the Dunes and because of the delay we missed the information as to where to go to check in (go upstairs not at the reception counter as you walk in) but we mannaged and of course they had overbooked us. Not a good start and frustrations were settling in.

The manager on duty was great. He asked if we would like an appartment and let us see it before we made a decision. Very nice of him and after viewing it we decided to take it. The room was old and tired, one sink leaked and as others have stated we did get a bit of rusty water at first but not much. No problem with the hot water and with two teenagers who go through hot water I was never without.The beds were hard but I have slept on worse. Lots of room for us and the air conditioner worked great. A word of advice when using the toilets (you had to hold the handle down for at least a count to 14 before they flushed). As I said the room was old and tired and seen bettter days.

The food was OK! I am a fussy eater and not to adventerous but did not go hungry. They tried to mix it up at the buffet but again the food and selection was just ok. We did not get to eat in the a la carte because it was booked. Another tip - book it as soon as you can. There is a beach restaurant that you can order food (hamburgs and fries ect.) and a small buffet. There is also a snack bar back behind the kids pool for the hot dogs and hamburgs. They serve coffee and snacks at the main bar every afternoon. There are lots of cats and dogs running around and people do feed them.

There were lots of bars open for drinks so no problem there, you had to wait at times but I found nothing to serious. Another tip- bring your own insulated mug as they mostly serve drinks in a small platic cup so if you bring your own you can have them fill it up resulting in less return trips and waiting. The beach was great and there were loads of loungers to grab and lots of cabanas to sit under. The beach bar is great. The water was fun but be careful with little ones as the waves can get big with strong under-tows. Use common sense and it is fun playing in the waves. The red flag was up only once so no swimming that afternoon. The weather is always great and hot. Thank goodness for the continuous trade winds to help with the heat. The sun is very strong so be carefull. The beaches are open to the public so you will be bothered by vendors but they are great and a simple no and they move on. The pools are nice and for the most part are always clean. The wind does blow debris in them. The shows at night are ok. There is a disco for after the outdoor shows. They have pool activities throughout the day. There is a cinima that plays movies at night. The games area is fun for kids (ping pong, pool tables and fooseball games). The internet is cheap- dollar for an hour so my teenagers liked it to keep in touch with their friends.

Tip on changing US money- there is all kinds of ways for this. At the hotel, on the beach, taxi driver ect. The going rate is anywhere from 4-6 Bolivars to 1 US dollar. Taxis are cheap to go anywhere, there is also a daily shuttle to the city Polamar for a small fee. We went to Sambil Mall in Pompatar for shopping - its a large mall with everthing you see back home and the prices are no different than at home. We did sneak in a meal at McDonalds.

There are tours to go on - be carefull who you book with as some may be cheaper but so is the meal you get when you are on them. They range from 50 to 75 US per person. Jeep tours, boat tour to a Island beach for the day, snorkeling tour ect.

All in all it was not a fantastic trip but it wasn't bad either. If you are looking for a place to go and relax at the beach or pool and want great weather than no problem. It is not a 4 star in my opinion but a 3.5. We have been to 5 stars and you can not compare this to those. A vaction is what you make of it and we got of to a rocky start but remember you are not in Canada any more and things are different. They do not work by a time clock so be patient but you do have to get pushy at times to get results.

We have been there twice and for me that is enough. To big of a world to see. Spoke with others who went to Lagunamar and they had pretty much the same comments as we do. We got a pretty decent deal (under $1000 with tax) so it was ok. If you book with Nolitours you do not have to pay the exit tax at the airport before you leave which was great. The airport is very slow on the return home. We did get to stop in the Bahamas for fuel on the way home so now I can say I was there for an hour.

One more tip- make a phot copy of your passport page and have it laminated as you sometimes need it when shopping and you can leave your original in the room safe.

I know this was long but hope it helps. Don't be affraid of some of the bad reviews and always remember you are in another country and again its not like the US or Can.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled with family
7 Thank Ripplinredfin
Lindsay are
Reviewed 4 February 2010

My mother and I just returned from Dunes on the 2nd of Febuary. We were there a week and truely enjoyed ourselves! We stayed in the Deluxe #51 204 and it was perfect for our needs. The beds were quite hard but did not keep me from sleeping, we only had 3 pillows between the 2 of us but made due. One thing we did feel we needed was a coffee maker and with in 2 hours of asking for one they had one at our room brand new along with coffee, stir sticks, little cups and sugar! The bars were plentiful, pretty much everywhere you went there was a bar or a place to eat. The drinks were great, the beer was even better!! The food was not bad. People need to remember where you are going on vacation. The staff were excellent, looking people in the eye and being thankful for what they serve you goes along way!! We went on the colonial tour with Bernie, we couldn't say enough good about it. They went over and above to please the whole group. The beach is amazing, way too rough for swimming but people always have to try fate....we heard a canadian lost his life while we were down there due to the rough water. We could not believe so many kids were in it jumping the waves, seemed way too dangerous! But the pools make up for it, there is many of them and didn't seem busy at all until Sunday which from what we understood was family day in Venezula. That made for very kaodic buffet breakfast and every other meal for that matter, the pools went from bare to over run by children. We unfortunately got rain one and a half days while there and from what we understand its very rare. Lucky us, we also had a very very windy day but still managed to get a kick [--] tan!!!! The only thing that would hold me back from visiting Margarita Island again was the airport when we were leaving, it was absolutely horrible standing in huge lines for more than 2 1/2 hours so the military and feel thru you luggage. A little intimidating, lots of machine guns and military. Although they were quite friendly. It made for a very long day!

In the end, if you are looking for a place that is absolutely breath takingly beautiful this is the place to go! The mountains are everywhere and so is the ocean and on average the weather was about 35 degrees! the peolpe always seemed to be smiling and quite happy to help in anyway!

• Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank mommiesgetaway
Canada
Reviewed 3 February 2010

First of all, I will freely admit this is not a north american 5 or even 4 star resort. This is, however, a South American resort, and as such it is wonderful! The resort caters primarily to south american tourists who have different expectations and priorities when it comes to their vacations and if you go expecting a north american experience, you will not get it. Maybe the Bahamas for six times the price is a better choice for you.

The staff was wonderful, warm and friendly and always looked after us and made sure we were having a good time. Their english was limited but sufficient for their functions and Nolitours reps were always on hand to help out in case of communication issues. My spanish got much better over the course of the vacation, which to me is a plus! When we had a rainy day (what are the chances!! it almost NEVER rains there in January) they went out of their way to entertain the guests through some pretty bad but very hilarious karaoke. They served coffee and pastries and made the day fun despite the bad weather. The resort also has pool tables, ping pong tables and tv's in common areas that are outside but yet covered in case there is a bad weather day. Its a great way to still enjoy the fresh air while being entertained without being soaked.

The buildings and rooms themselves (we were in the deluxe area) were very clean and surprisingly bug free for such a tropical climate. The quality of the workmanship was, well, south american, so yes, the ceiling tiles in bathroom did move if the balcony door was open, but why would you leave the balcony door open?? Common sense SHOULD tell you that leaving the balcony door open without any mesh in a tropical climate will result in you sleeping together with a bunch of mosquitos, ants and a whole bunch of other crawlers. Our room remained bug and mosquito free for the entire stay by following some common sense. The wind can be very strong on the island, so it does occasionally (one night out of the 7 we stayed here) cause the slop-illy installed windows to make quite a bit of noise at night, but putting a couple of flyers between the window frame and sill as insulation kept our room 100% quiet.

The food was actually surprisingly good. We're both foodies, so I wouldn't call it amazing, but it was good enough for the most part, with a few surprisingly good items once in a while. In addition to the buffet there was always a grill area that would serve up freshly cooked things such as fajitas on mexican night (particularly tasty) and breaded pork chops on one of the other nights. They even had hot sauce and jalapenos which right away made it better than any cuban resort I've been to! The white wine was also surprisingly good!

From the few all-inclusives I've been to in Mexico and Cuba this is by far the best value for money. It has better food than Cuba while being more authentic than any Mexican resort I've been to (and has just as many if not more great excursions). The best part however, and this would be my deciding factor, is the weather and the beach!! Sunny everyday (unless you're as unlucky as we were and get one day of rain) with temperatures between 25 and 32 degrees celcius. Gorgeous beach in a beautiful cove surrounded by mountains with a bar hut right on the beach. Plenty of beach chairs to go around and never at any point feeling crowded. You can get to the beach at noon and still will have no trouble finding space! (not the case in mexico or cuba). Best of all, you truly do get away from home since the predominant language you hear on the beach, is *gasp* spanish not english!

We really loved the holiday and will most likely come back to Dunes if/when we decide to do another all inclusive!

2 Thank TravellingCanook
montreal
Reviewed 29 January 2010

I really enjoyed my stay at the Dunes Beach resort. When we arrived at the hotel they were very welcoming. They greated us with a smile and brought us to our room.

Our room was small but it didn't bother us since we were rarely in it. The only thing was our last night when we went back to the room we had no towels and had to wait about an hour before we did, but they were very apologetic. Other than that the room was very clean, no complaints there.

The food at both the buffet on the beach and in the hotel was good, can't complain, everyday was a different. Even the Italian resturant was very good.

The hotel itself was very big, a lot to do. There were always activities, weather you were lounging at the pool or relaxing on the beach. The animators were very nice, didn't really speak English mostly Spanish but we got to learn the language. Most of the other guests were from Argentina, Colombia and Venezuela which explains why they don't speak much English, but I think that is what I enjoyed the most about it. The bartenders were quick, never had to wait very long for our drinks.

I don't really have anything bad to say about this resort. Venezuela is a beautiful country. I enjoyed this vacation very much and I would defanitly go back.

ontario
Reviewed 22 January 2010

We just returned from a holiday in the Deluxe Rooms at Hotel Dunes.--Jan.12-19.
We had a great time and I would just like to tell you a few facts about the resort.

Although the Deluxe Room area does have its own pool, bar ,dining and snack area these newer rooms are set apart from the other rooms, the reception , the beach and main pool. However there is a trolley which provides rides from the deluxe area to the main area if you dont want to walk. This walk plus the steps to our room would be difficult for someone with walking difficulties.Our rooms were small but kept clean with nice showers but no kleenex or coffee pot.
We had a few problems with keys, falling ceiling tiles ,unlocked adjoining doors and bug bites--- but still enjoyed ourselves.
The weather was always HOT--so be careful of sunburns.
There were plenty of chairs at the pool and at the beach. Chair pads were also provided for your comfort.
The beach was nice for lounging and walking but was too rough for swimming unless you walked down the beach to a small cove area.
The food at the buffets was fair but the Italian a la carte was very good.
There were many bars which provided a variety of drinks to quench your thirst. The recipe for drinks wasn't consistent and changed at different bars.
There is a gym but it didnt open until 10 oclock which was too late for most of our group.
There is internet available for a reasonable price.

Our biggest surprise--- there was NO departure tax. Not sure if that is for everyone or just people who book through Nolitours.

We had a great holiday --enjoying the country, sun , pools , services, drinks and friends !!!

Canada
Reviewed 19 January 2010

I am not one to complain and in the end I had the best trip of my life but that was mostly because I have a great attitude toward all situation but here was my experience at the Dunes

We got there and were content with the resort.
1st we get there they kindly bring our bag to the 2nd floor
The card key did not work so the person helping us with our bags goes and changes the key
When he comes and tries it again , opens the door and there are actually people installed in the room
We go back to the front desk ,and the attitude of the staff was cold and stressed as if the fact of asking for a vacant room was a bother.
They then offered us another room with a view on a big pool of Mud and tried to pass it off as a lagoon.
Deluxe room , I don't think so this is not a 4 star hotel in any way.
The rooms are tiny , we were expecting 2 double beds and we got two twin beds.

The bathroom ceiling tiles were not properly secured which moved up and down all night because the balcony door was open and during our not very safe showers. The water always started brown and became clear after a good 10 minutes the 1st time you run it the following times it was a minimum 20-30 second process daily.

The regular rooms where one of our friends were statying were subtandard and we would not recommend it in anyway.

SECURITY: On our last evening we were taking a nap before going to diner. Around 9pm a knock on the door and all sudden we hear the key card go through and open , good thing we had the lock on the door did not open. When I asked the lady what she wanted sehe offered me towels and Water which I found was strange at this time, especially when everyone is suppose to be at diner already. (you do the math).

Also use the safe all the time for all precious items , that's what we did.

The food was great if you like latin and carribean food , there was also a pasta bar prepared infront of you (for those of you who don't like to experiment).

Travellers are raving about these Pedro Gonzales hotels

#15 of 89 in Margarita Island
Unik Hotel Margarita
Unik Hotel Margarita
#2 of 8 in Pampatar

Been to Dunes Hotel & Beach Resort? Share your experiences!