“I almost didn't write because I wanted to keep this gem for myself”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Peccioli
Podere San Ferdinando
Buda, Texas
“I almost didn't write because I wanted to keep this gem for myself”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2010

First of all, here are the phone numbers for this awesome agriturismo:
(39) 0587 6302 07, 335 6478376, 338 1006059
and website, www.poderesanferdinando.it

This place is magical. My husband, five year old, and I stayed here for three nights. It is not centrally located or right next to any major cities which was great. It really felt like I lived there. Visiting the grocery store, most people did NOT speak English. This is exactly what I think one should experience in a foreign country.

Onto the place... It has a seamless pool that overlooks the Tuscan countryside. It was a perfect birthday evening. When, Antoinella, our hostess found out, she gave us a bottle of sparkling wine -- nice.

We rented the 1 bedroom apartment with full kitchen. The kitchen has most of the tools you need except a traditional coffee pot. Perhaps these aren't common in Italy, I don't know. I think having some staples, salt, pepper, olive oil, would be nice too. I picked a handful of herbs from Antoinella's little garden and it was fine. There is an ancient brick oven there for your use as well (pizzas, etc).

The place was clean and cozy. The shower was interesting because it was just a shower head spraying into the all tile bathroom (no walls or curtain). Once I got used to this, it was fine.

On the property there are nine horses and Peidro (sp?) is a very experienced horseman. Since I know how to ride, they took me along on a four hour trail ride through rows of grapevines and other countryside. They even took me to see the remains of a church that was hidden and said the foundation is from the B.C. era! We also rode through some of their neighbors property and I picked cherries off of a tree (while on horseback).

They also have bicycles you can use (my husband did this).

If I wasn't already married, I would have a wedding here. Heck, maybe I'll remarry my husband so we can have one here.

Antoinella is not really into cooking, nor is she a morning person. But this is a REAL family. I asked for breakfast the first morning, which she provided. She makes organic jams from fruit that grows on the property. It was really good. She also shared some limoncello that she made (with sage) one night. It was delicious. For the other meals, I went to the store (PAM or CO-OP) and tried to figure out the packages.

You would need a car at this place. We took day trips to Volterra, Pisa, Chianti, and eventually drove to Florence (to return the car).

My five year old LOVED the Prehistoric dinosaur park 15 minutes away.

Feel free to contact me if you plan to go and I can tell you more details.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with family