“peaceful surroundings , homy feeling , excellent restaurant”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel San Gerolamo

Hotel San Gerolamo
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Vercurago
Volos, Greece
“peaceful surroundings , homy feeling , excellent restaurant”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2014

My husband , our friends and I stayed for two nights at this peaceful hotel .Placed at the outskirts of small village called Vercurago , one can enjoy birds singing and the surrounding greenery. Rooms are spacious , equipped with a huge bed !! The philosophy of the hotel is '' feel at home '' with one man show owner Luca finding for you solutions for everything : there weren't coffee making facilities in room , but he brought me a thermos with hot water and cups to prepare my early morning coffee . Breakfast was made of fresh ingredients and more than enough for us ( ok , if you search for a 5star hotel buffet , no to is not ) ,Strong point of the hotel is its restaurant !! situaded in a very romantic garden , you can taste original pizzas and spaggeti and drink very tasty wines and beers .So ,don't take under consideration the poor facade of the hotel : just enter and you are going to have a great time . Area is ,also , very nice for hikers .All and all a lovely experience.

Room Tip: room 8 , upper floor with a balcony and very spacious
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Kyriaki

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 October 2013 via mobile

This was my second stay this year, once you find the hotel ( GPS makes it easy ) the rooms are large and very comfortable, possibly the best hotel bed I've ever experienced. The road to the hotel is very narrow, we had to fold in the door mirrors, but it isn't a problem. The view from the hotel is spectacular and the surroundings pleasant. The breakfast was plentiful and good quality and the staff could not be more helpful.
Perhaps I've just been unlucky but on both stays I have had to pay cash as the hotel credit card machine was broken

Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Dave S
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 September 2013 via mobile

We found this hotel on trip advisor and can only repeat many of the comments made. The road to the hotel is extremely narrow but "do-able", just use your car horn when in doubt. Our welcome on arrival was friendly, our bags were taken to the room and our first drinks were free. The staff were obliging, helpful and made it clear we only had to ask if we needed information or a request. Before dinner we sat on the outside terrace and joined in the conversation with the other couples......a very diverse group .......Danes, Austrians and Australians all talking English, sharing travel experiences, recommendations, ideas, information, humour...........stuff memories are made of. We had the beef on the dinner menu on our first night which was delicious......tender and moist. Another night we ate at the restaurant / pizzaria just down the lane. That was a different dining experience but also very delicious. This hotel is off the tourist track with no shops but there is a great view from the top of the castle ( it is a bit of a uphill walk...... so a level of fitness is required) Highly recommend a stay at this hotel if you want peace and quiet and to step away from the tourist areas for a day or so.

Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Karlovy Vary, Czech Republic
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 September 2013

I have chosen this hotel because of great reviews I had read here. Maybe it would be better if I did not read it, because I was full of expectation and was hoping for something really special...
The hotel is not bad, but nothing special at all.

I read here about the warm welcome, welcome drink, luggeage carryage, etc - none of these was offered to us.

We spent here 4 nights in September 2013 and I have to say we did not have the feeling about relaxing. Our room was located on 1st floor in the main building and there was lot of noise from the street because of the restaurant tables just below our balcony, many cars driving on the street, and very noisy italian people who are shouting on the street. We have to had the window open, because the air conditioning was not working and there was really hot in the room even if it was in September... I could not fall into sleep before midnight and I was really angry about that. So - no relax. Definitelly ask for the room in the depandance, I can be more quite maybe.

The parking place is small but we always found a place. But we always came back to the hotel in the afternoon, in the evening the parking was full so maybe you can have a problem because there is no other parking around.

The room itself was clean, with flat TV, nice bathroom. Also the restaurant is very nice. No complaints on that.

As I do not like anyone touching my staff I put the card "please do not disturb" on the door when we were leaving. But no effect - if we came back we found the cleaning lady was in our room. I was not satisfied with that also.

The breakfest was standard, again - not bad, but nothing special. I would appreciate some mixed eggs or omelete, but there was only boiled egg, one salami or ham and one cheese. Not a wide choise. First day no problem, but other days I was not happy about eating the same again and again. The worst problem about the breakfest was that the last day there was no pastry at all. Really - no bread, no croissant, baguette, nothing. We were asking for it, waiting about half an our and then leave because it had no sense. I can not understand how this could happen and that noone made the explanation and apology.

The village itself did not anthrall me. There is huge traffic, the lake was dirty, well.... Last year we stayed in small village on Lago di Garda and it was amazing stay with bathing and great sea fruit dinners etc, so I expected something like that. No way...There is huge traffic, the lake was dirty, well - not satisfied again....

As we stayed here because of the formula 1 race in monza, I had chosen this hotel because of the location - it is about half hour to monza, so this was really good.

Round the corner from the hotel there is very good restaurant called Sfinga - they have excellent sea fruits pizza :-)
Also walk up to the ruined castle is a must! It is really amazing, do not miss this!

The street leading to the hotel is very narrow, but you will make it as everyone before you did. No problem at all.

If you look on my other reviews you will see I am really friendly traveler who enjoys the holiday and does not hesitate to praise. I am really not happy that I can not do it in this case. Maybe you will be satisfied about this hotel but do not expect anything superb. Just go there, enjoy and make your own opinion.
I will not come back to this hotel but I can not say I would not recommend it - my recomendation is a hesitant one.

Room Tip: Ask for the room in higher floors or in the depandance, if you are a sleeper!
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
York, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2013

This was our second visit to San Gerolamo, a delightful small hotel run by Luca and his family. Its location, a few minutes south of Lecco and up a steep hill, ensures stunning views of lakes and mountains. Access through a very narrow laneway can be challenging in a large car - breathe in and drive on!
Luca is a charming host and is aided by his wife and mother. As chef-patron, he produces stunning food in his gastronomic restaurant. Most rooms have wonderful views - although the stairs may not suit all travellers. Parking is tight but there always seems to be a space to be found even when the car park appears full.
If you stay for more than a couple of days, for a change you may like to eat at a small pasta restaurant just 50 metres down the hill.
Hotel San Gerolamo is a gem.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Chichester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2013

Wow, what a hidden gem and in such a beautiful setting.
We used Milano Linate airport as quieter, closer and much cheaper than other airports in the area. Unlike most guests we did our holiday on foot arriving at Vecurago Station. Calolziocorte is the usual stop but very occasionally a train stops at the halt (in Milan Centrale we were celebrities as in 20yrs no one had sold a ticket to this station!) Had we realised how much higher up the hill the hotel was instead of depending on Google Street View, we might have taken up the owners suggestion of ringing him for a lift.
Luca and his Mum are the owners and run the hotel themselves which makes for a more personal experience. The hotel is spotlessly clean, you are greeted with warm smiles, cheery faces and great service. Luca speaks english very well, certainly better than my italian, he knows the vast area well and can give recommendations for out of the way places to visit. (Ask him about the mountains behind Lecco with the cable car, a must especially on hot days.)
Our first night was in the house they own opposite. This is a very old, rustic, authentically decorated suite used more for larger families. It has a beautiful garden which has lighting, seating and loungers for quiet contemplation of the day's adventures. Although the house isn't air-conditioned the thick walls, shutters and huge fans provide cooler air for a comfortable nights sleep.
The following morning when the previous guests left we were moved to a room with a balcony and views over the village, mountains, hillside castle and lake. Don't complain if you are given this on arrival. The alternative is strict changeover days which restrict the flexibility of your holiday and flight prices. Remember this is a 10 bedroom quiet country hotel not a massive hotel complex catering for thousands!
Be prepared for 7am wake ups as the many local church bells fire up at this time, they seem to stop around 10pm. The narrow streets are just that, narrow! 500yrs ago horse and cart were the means of transport therefore houses were built just a cart and a human width apart. With wing mirrors tucked in and copious use of car horn you can get through the tighter pinch points. Again don't complain, the warnings are here in many reports by previous guests. This doesn't affect the hotel accommodation or it's standard of service.
Breakfast is served from 7:30 to 10:30am. It is of typical italian style with bread, toast, eggs, meats, tomatoes,cheeses, huge variety of fruit, yogurts, cakes, pastries, hot and cold drinks and always a cheery smile to start the day. TV in the rooms is connected to Sky remembering it is all in italian. We were far too tired at the end of a very hot day to even bother with it.
Evening meals are available with prices around 16-18 euros for mains. The menu changes so you don't have the same options each day. We used to eat out before returning as the walk back up rendered one very uninspired to want to do it twice if it was very hot. Car owners obviously have many options open to them.
There are 2 options for walking to the hotel, steps up from main road come out next to hotel or the road used by the locals. From experience use 'Via San Gerolamo' road. The only part we found steep was about 30m where the road is cobbled. When it snows you'll understand why! There are 5 benches to enjoy the view at this point. Make use of them.
So to sum up this hotel is highly recommended by us. It ticked all the boxes and is well situated for Lake Como and the surrounding areas and we even managed Lake Iseo from here.
Thanks to Luca and his family for making our holiday such a memorable experience especially on our restricted budget.

Room Tip: Balcony rooms are west facing therefore have sun afternoon/evenings, a/c keeps heat down. Mountain v...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Bath, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2013

As we parked in the little car park opposite the hotel we were greeted by the sound of a cuckoo. This proved to be a good omen. The owner of the hotel met us with a warm welcome, in more than adequate English, and presented us with a drink. The cases were carried up to our rooms which were of a high standard of comfort and provided all that this suggests. My room was over looking roof tops with a glimpse of the lake in the distance.
Dinner was excellent with a good varied menu. Breakfast was also first class and, as with dinner, nothing was too much trouble.
The only tiny negative point is the very narrow streets leading up to the hotel. But this, as the owner pointed out, is the nature of restored villages such as Vercurago.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Vercurago
Hotel Nuovo
NH Lecco Pontevecchio
Hotel Moderno
Hotel Moderno
#1 of 1 in Fuipiano Valle Imagna

Been to Hotel San Gerolamo? Share your experiences!