Hotel Finca el Cerrillo
Hotel Mirador de Canillas(Canillas de Albaida)
TripAdvisor
  • Pool
Posada la Plaza(Canillas de Albaida)
TripAdvisor
  • Breakfast included
All reviewslocal restaurantsfinca el cerrillosecond visitwalking holidayhonesty barpainting holidaymalaga airportcarob treeother guestsstunning viewsmany timesmulti levelevening meals areswimming poolexceeded our expectationsowners suebeautiful place
Reviewed 9 May 2012

I have recently returned from a wonderful walking holiday in the Andalucia area of Spain where this hotel was our base for the week.
It is run to Sue and Gordon who have turned what was I understand an old mill into a quite charming hotel which exudes friendliness and warmth.
Everything they did gave me the feeling they really wanted us to enjoy our holiday and I certainly did.
There is a lovely swimming pool and sun terrace, my room was spotless and the bed very comfortable and the communal areas including a well stocked library were delightful spaces to relax and chat with fellow guests. On top of that the meals were superb as were the local restaurants which we visited every other night none being more than a short taxi ride from the hotel.
When I was there I saw they had a TripAdvisor award for 2012 - it is not difficult to see why - it is richly deserved.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 7 May 2012

My wife and I have not long returned from an 8 day walking holiday in the area.We travelled with HEADWATER who fortunately arranged for us to stay at the Finca el Cerrillo. It is run by ex-pats Sue and Gordon,ably assisted by Basil the wonder dog.
The whole experience was one of the best we have ever had,which is something when you consider we had travelled in 4 Continents over a number of years.
There are about 12 rooms most set in a garden location which surrounds a small but welcoming pool.
The food is varied and excellent.The rooms are of Moorish style and very clean and comfortable.The welcome and service has to be experienced to be believed;within hours you feel you are staying with friends.
There are 3 or 4 nearby villages all small but well worth a visit.All boast first rate eateries.You would be well advised to get a taxi to and from these locations.No problem just ask Sue or Gordon,nothing was too much trouble.
If you are seeking seclusion in a unique location,look no further.

Room Tip: Most rooms have an excellent view down the valley,the few that don't enjoy over look the garden.There are many little quite corners throughout the garden and Hotel that combine to many this location something really special.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 24 April 2012

It is not often that one comes by a real gem of a hotel that you really do not want to share with anyone; the Hotel Finca el Cerrillo is one such gem.
The hilly location near the white town of Canillas de Albaida with superb views wherever you turn, the garden with a surprise and delight round every corner and the attention of the owners Sue and Gordon Kind (who live on site) to detail is outstanding.
With about dozen beautifully designed double rooms spread round the gardens and courtyards there are pleanty of quiet places to go to enjoy the tranquility, wake up and smell the flowers!
There is an honesty bar and the hotel food is outstanding with additional visits organised to local restaurants to experience local gastronomy. Painting, walking and writing feature highly on the more active menue but relaxing is a hotel speciality with some guests returning four times in the same year; always a good sign that customers really do feel part of the "Finca" family. If you have friends go there with them, if you are alone go there anyway; you will make friends whatever. Experience this gem of a place just an hour's drive south of Malaga but do not tell anyone else!

• Stayed: April 2012
2  Thank trekwriter
Reviewed 23 April 2012

This was my third visit. My wife does a painting holiday whilst I go walking. No fault of the Finca but the weather throughout southern Spain was bad from 14th to 21st April. BUT... such was the excellence of the Finca as a holiday location I had 6 excellent walks with two other walkers and enjoyed the usual high standard of food, comfort and welcome.
This time the high point was Pico Lucero from where we had the most magnificnet views from this 1800m+ peak.

Room Tip: All the rooms are good - just have diferent characteristics. We have been in Room 1 for 3 years!
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank Sandy B
Reviewed 26 January 2012

I first stayed here back in June 2010, I was part of a writing holiday. I was blown away by the location, quality and everything about this place right from the word go. What can you say about your hosts, Sue and Gordon? Well lets put it this way, it's not like staying at a luxury hotel or some B&B. It's a million times better! It's like staying with friends and perhaps that what makes this place that extra bit special. You have a wonderful swimming pool on a terrace a little way down from the main Finca, which I'll come to in a bit. During the 2010 stay there were little hidden hide aways. Wonderful gardens with rich colours.

My next stay was last year, July 2011 again I came with the same writing group. If you'd seen it back in 2010 you would think, they can't make this any better, can they? Well somehow they pulled it off, they made something that was faultless even better. A couple of extra terraces here and there. Now the main restored Finca. This is just amazing. Sue and Gordon have put SO much effort into this hotel it's amazing. Each public room is full of character to the smallest detail. You want a drink, no problem you just help yourself, thanks to the honesty bar! Wonderful idea so much less hassle than looking for someone to serve you, brilliant idea. And thankfully everybody who uses it seems puts down what they have, otherwise it wouldn't work and spoil it for all the other guests. The rooms, I've always stayed in the same room, Room 1. A wonderful room, lots of space, very comfortable bed and air conditioned, as are all the rooms, I believe. The bathroom, very well laid out, lovely walk in shower, can't fault it at all. The meals... OH BOY!! Now we're talking, the meals when you eat at the Finca will just BLOW your mind, they're wonderful, excellent quality for 5-star hotel class food.

However! With an eveing meal you eat one night at the Finca, the next night at a local restaurant, the next at the Finca and the following night another local restaurant and so on. And eating at the local restaurants, is nowhere near as good as eating at the Finca, the quality of the meals is miles apart. I'm not a fan of eating at the local restaurants because it's a set menu, you can't just turn up and choose from the main menu. The Finca gets a menu from the restaurant and you choose what you have, they feed it through to the restaurant. It would be better if we had full choice of the menu as has been said by others in the group, especially when the prices of other items on the menu in the restaurants are no less expensive or complicated as those on the limited menu that is phoned through to the Finca.

Finca el Cerrillo is a wonderful, peaceful and extremely beauitful place to stay. You're likely to find that you're staying with friends than staying in any hotel. Sue and Gordon have done and continue to do a wonderful job at Finca el Cerrillo. The staff are also extremely friendly and very warm. I'm very much looking forward to my next visit...

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends