“Very friendly, very comfortable, great food”
Review of Horse and Groom

Horse and Groom
London, United Kingdom
“Very friendly, very comfortable, great food”
Reviewed 22 July 2013

We stayed for one night at the Horse and Groom to celebrate our wedding anniversary and had a great time. Very friendly and attentive staff, along with great food and very comfortable accommodation. We hope to return one day.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Richard B

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Moreton-in-Marsh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 July 2013

We discovered the Horse and Groom recently (we moved to the area 18 months ago) and dined there twice, and it was really good; wonderful food, good service and a good atmosphere. We therefore booked to take our daughter out to dinner on her birthday. We booked 3 weeks in advance. The day before our booking we received a phone call from the Horse and Groom asking if our booking was cancelled. No it was not. However, they had booked somebody else in. They were very apologetic but would not re-instate our earlier booking. We were really disappointed. We thought we had found somewhere really good that we could frequent regularly, but this experience has soured our opinion. Mistakes happen but they can be recovered with good customer service. It is now 3 weeks since this cancellation and I must admit I would have been pleased to receive a phone call from the Horse and Groom inviting us at another time. Nothing. I thought about booking up to take my wife out for an evening meal later this month. But thought what is the point if I cannot rely on such a booking. It takes hard work, good customer service, etc, etc to build a good reputation and very little to destroy it!

Room Tip: Get your booking confirmed
Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Roger W
greenstocks, Owner at Horse and Groom, responded to this review, 25 July 2013
Hello Roger W

Thanks for your review, up until the end of the third line it sounded great but from the title I realised the worst was yet to come!

Despite hesitations I continued to read on and I have to admit it has left me flummoxed…

It is not unheard of for us to make mistakes with bookings but if ever that has happened we never call to cancel anyone. It is our mistake so it falls to us to sort it out and we would hope to fix it in such a way that our customers were unaware there was ever a problem.

Certainly if a call as you describe were to be made it would only come from our General Manager or me and neither of us made such a call. In our eight years of being at the Horse & Groom there have only been two reasons we have called someone to cancel their booking. The first was when we lost all power and were forced to close whilst the problem was rectified. The second was when the snow came in such quantities that opening was impossible.

I would be very pleased to hear from you to discuss this matter further – a few more details would prove helpful in piecing together the trail to find out exactly what has happened. At the moment my worry is that your booking was inadvertently made at the wrong H&G and now our reputation is suffering. Equally, if this is not the case, I need to investigate further to ensure we don’t have a repeat and that our usual high standards of customer service and your faith in us can be restored.

All the best

Tom

Tom Greenstock
Proprietor
Oxford
Reviewed 10 July 2013

Had lunch here recently in this very handsome inn. Very good food, beautifully presented by extremely friendly jolly staff. It was an absolute pleasure and I will definitely return. Very good value for money and a nice selection of food at prices to suit.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Jackie423R
Preston
Reviewed 28 May 2013

We recently stayed at the Horse & Groom for two nights. Our beautifully furnished room overlooked the picturesque garden. Our friends had a room at the front of the Inn which had panoramic views towards Moreton-in-Marsh. The excellent food, from an ever evolving menu, on a large blackboard, is mainly locally sourced and fairly priced (esp for the Cotswolds). Popular dishes can appear and disappear from the blackboard in a lunchtime / evening, but will be substituted with an appetising alternative. You will need to book a table. Breakfasts were delicious but not over-facing. The Inn had a wonderful ambiance and atmosphere with diners there for the evening together with other people just popping in for a drink. Finally a word of thanks to all of the staff for their friendliness, humour, politeness, service and attention to detail.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank whatabeautifulday
Amsterdam
Reviewed 28 May 2013

And really friendly staff. We stayed two nights over the bank holiday weekend and at booking we already found the staff really helpfull by providing us a list of good eateries in the area. The whole weekend all staff was forecoming, interesting and friendly. Both dinner and breakfast were great. Parking on site and a nice garden to enjoy a drink (and the view).

Room Tip: The rooms at the front are at the street side. It is not a busy street and when the windows are clos...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank AMS020
Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 May 2013

Stopped here for an evening meal as we were stopping nearby in Moreton. Excellent meal and would eat here again when in the area. We did book and suggest to be sure of a table best to book as the place was full. The car park is rather small but if you look close some of the cars belong to staff and they have notes on them saying please block me in. So dont be put off if the car park looks full.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank KevinA19
Stratford-upon-Avon
Reviewed 3 May 2013

Many previous reviewers have given the Horse and Groom five stars based on the quality of its food. I thoroughly agree the food is indeed worth five stars. So why have I marked this pub/restaurant down to three? Here's why.

Firstly, the older woman who greeted us at the bar was a complete and utter misery. I do not understand why people like this are in the hospitality industry. If you don't like working with the public, please try another job rather than reducing the quality of my life. That's a half-star mark-down.

The next half-star mark-down is for the very disappointing range of quality draught beer. There are some really good quality 'name' beers out there without having to resort to some 'Goat and Hedgehog' style cheap bitter produced by a one-man micro-brewery at the back of a garage.

I have further reduced my rating by one whole star because of something which I regard as an unforgivable sin in any pub, hotel or restaurant.

My wife ordered a small bottle of still water (which cost nearly £2 by the way). What arrived was a glass of water. Yes, a glass which had already been filled with water.

Had it been filled with water from a bottle, the seal of which had just been broken out of sight? Had it been filled with water from a bottle, the seal of which had been broken the day or week before? Had it been filled with water from a kitchen tap?

I will never know the answer to these questions, but since it might just have been tap water, I do resent paying almost £2 for it.

Don't professionals in the hospitality industry know you need to present every type of bottle to a table with its seal unbroken, in order to show to the customer they are receiving exactly what they ordered?

How complicated is this? This is basic stuff. I thought everyone in pub, hotel and restaurant businesses followed this rule.

Others may think my criticisms of this establishment are small and unreasonable. I don't, and for the above reasons I won't be going back to the Horse and Groom any time soon.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bourton-on-the-Hill
White Hart Royal Hotel
Sheep on Sheep Street
Sheep on Sheep Street
#5 of 8 in Stow-on-the-Wold
Number Four at Stow and Cutler's Restaurant
Number Four at Stow and Cutler's...
#2 of 8 in Stow-on-the-Wold
The Old Stocks Inn
The Old Stocks Inn
#1 of 8 in Stow-on-the-Wold

Been to Horse and Groom? Share your experiences!