“Doesn't get any better - fabulous rooms, food and customer service!!”
Review of Horse and Groom

Horse and Groom
Reviewed 26 October 2009

My husband and I stayed in the Deluxe Room at the Horse and Groom for three nights 24/9-26/9 inclusive on a Dinner, Bed and Breakfast package. It wasn't just good - it was sensational!!

Tom and I had chatted via email and one telephone call in the months leading up to our departure from Australia and he was so friendly and helpful that I knew I had found our special place in The Cotswolds. We wanted somewhere that (a) offered parking as we had a hire car, and (b) was central enough to all the sights for us to do the day trips we had planned with our Ordinance Survey map (this map was fabulous and I highly recommend a pre-purchase of one to plan out your route). Of course we also wanted spacious, comfortable rooms with a generous bathroom plus dining options.

The Horse and Groom exceeded my expectations. The room was to die for (high ceilings, big comfy bed, flat screen TV, window seat and big window that opened!), the bathroom was heaven (bath was put to good use soaking tired muscles), and the food was amazing. After a full day out on the road - knowing we were coming "home" to an ale and a Pimms (or two) in the bar followed by a gourmet treat in the dining room, made us feel all warm inside!! Tom's kindness, and not forgetting all the friendly, fabulous staff, made this accommodation option a winner. Check out their website and read the blackboard menu - you'll see what I mean!

Look at the location of this charming village (which by the way does have a small garage further up the hill where you can buy newspapers etc), and if it suits your itinerary then you MUST stay here. If it doesn't suit your itinerary - change your itinerary!! Exceptional value for money - thoroughly recommended.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Talk61

Reviewed 21 October 2009

I have worked for over 10 years in luxury hotels where management constantly struggles to bring the service levels up to match the look of the physical property and that's simply because what makes a stay memorable is the right service - striking that balance between sincerely hospitable and efficient. Tom (who I believe is one of the two owners) and his staff provided just that. We had one of the most enjoyable evenings I can remember with our friends in the bar and restaurant. The food was amazing and after way way way too much to eat we were able to climb a few stairs and sink into our wonderfully cozy bedroom.

On our way out the next afternoon we all stared longingly at the new menu wishing we had more time...I think everyone of us would have given Tom a hug good-bye if he hadn't been run off his feet with another full-house for lunch!

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 October 2009

A bit of a long journey for us but again I proved to my husband that I pick great places!!
What a great stay we had. The room was wonderful, the food fantastic and such a treat to be waited on so well. Staff all lovely especially Ang who suggested a few places to visit and hit the nail right on the head.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank McLunie
Reviewed 11 October 2009

My husband and I travelled here with 2 other couples and we had the most wonderful time. We were looking for some place to get away for a casual but special weekend celebration and this could not have been more perfect.
The room was lovely and comfortable (bit bathrooms, cozy bed, gorgeous views from window seats, home cooked biscuits instead of store bought).
We decided to book the restaurant for dinner on Saturday night so we wouldn't have to drive home and what a treat - the meal was absolutely delicious. We all want to go back just to eat the butternut feta salad again!
We also took advantage of a tour with Farmer Dale, a recommendation they had in their guest book and another surprise treat. R Dale is a local farmer who took us out for 2 hours to explain how the local farms work and it was really an inside look at a world we knew little about.
The best thing about our stay was how friendly and accommodating Tom was. As much as we love exploring all over Britain, we now just want to go back to Horse and Groom!

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank berkowil
Reviewed 3 October 2009

My husband and I stayed at the Horse and Groom, Bourton on the Hill in Sept 09 for 4 nights. Tom the owner gave us a lovely welcome despite the place being full of people. Our bedroom was very comfy with tea/coffee facilities plus homemade flapjack!
We ate at the restaurant 3 times and every meal was excellent. Our particular favourite being the panacotta. The restaurant was very busy every night and we can see why the place was so popular with visitors and locals. It was nice to see that all the food was locally produced. The eggs at breakfast even came from the hens in the back garden!
We would most certainly go back for a stay again and would recommend the hotel to anyone.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank HolidaymakerCoDurham
Reviewed 20 August 2009

We stayed at the H&G for four nights in July and it was absolutely perfect. The garden room was comfortable and quiet with a zen feel to it and french doors opening on the terrace. We booked a package including breakfast and dinner which was a great idea because looking for a decent place to eat after a day of walking in the fields wouldn't be much fun, especially since we had no car. The food is terrific with a fresh local twist on a variety of classic dishes. Not your typical British pub experience to say the least. The staff is also very friendly and professional.
Bourton-on-the-hill is a great base for day walks, some starting at the door and some a short bus ride away. Our favourites included Chipping Campden to Hidcote gardens, Broadway to Snowshill and Stanton, Blockley and Sezincote.
We spent 4 days in London prior to this and frankly I would have preferred one less night there and 1 more day in the Cotswolds.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank anachronist
Reviewed 6 May 2009

I loved this place. The brothers who own it share a real passion for good food and local ales. The rooms are not massive but then this is a country pub. The style is tastefully a mix of old and modern. Clean rooms and nice touches like fresh milk for your tea and local made biscuits in your room.

The food was great. Lots of local produce so you knew where everything came from. My other half a CAMRA member loved the local ales on tap.

Near to Batsford arboretum which is lovely at any time of year...but we did see it almost empty at 10 in the morning under 2 foot of snow in bright sunshine which was the most magical thing I have every seen! Not much else in Bourton-on-the-hill but plenty within driving distance. But if you want a quiet getaway with lovely rooms, service, ales and food under one roof you must visit this place.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank KatherineE
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bourton-on-the-Hill
White Hart Royal Hotel
#4 of 6 in Broadway
The Bell Inn
The Bell Inn
#4 of 18 in Moreton-in-Marsh

Been to Horse and Groom? Share your experiences!