“NO AIR CONDITIONING IN ROOMS, HOTEL WIDE”
Review of Hotel Campus

Hotel Campus
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Bellaterra
Barcelona
“NO AIR CONDITIONING IN ROOMS, HOTEL WIDE”
Reviewed 13 June 2014

Spain is quite warm this time of year, and the rooms get sweltering hot. I asked about the room temperature being hot when I arrived. The very pleasant housekeeper didn't speak English, but came in and switched on the noisemaker. Did you ever sleep under an operating washing machine? Well it wouldn't be that noisy. It might not have been as bad if it cooled the room. It didn't. It just blew the hot air around. After 4 complaints to the staff, even a note taped to the thermostat in my best google-translated Spanish, nothing was done. I was told twice by different staff that they talked to the maintainer and he said the AC was old, serviced all the rooms, and was fixed now. He lies. I opened the windows and was attached by mosquitoes. It's disconcerting to wake in the night, swat a bug or two on your arm, and become covered in blood, YOUR blood.
That alone ruined the stay. If you can't go to your room and relax at the end of the day, the accommodation is worthless. Oddly enough, the lobby was cool =\

• Stayed June 2014
2 Thank Balok_0
Marta B, Director of Sales at Hotel Campus, responded to this review, 19 June 2014
Dear guest,

First of all I would like thank you for helping us to improve our Hotel Services.

Answering your comments in Tripadvisor about your stay in our hotel, we would like to apologize about the problems with the air conditioning.

We worked hard in order to resolve the problem and fortunately all is working perfectly.

We hope to welcome you in futures occasions.

It will be a pleasure to welcome you personally in our hotel.

Best regards,

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Milan, Italy
Reviewed 4 January 2014

Nice hotel on uab campus recently renovated, with a nice-looking entrance hall. The rooms are not very recent, but the furniture does still have a classy touch (big mirrors, lot of wood, ...). Bathroom is clean as is the rest of the room. The staff is kind and the dining hall looks of design. The only two incovenient of this accomodation are the location if you don't have a car (a bit far from the centre of Barcelona) and the on-campus feature, which in case of graduations or conferences might be a bit crowded.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank istant_traveller
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 28 January 2013

I stayed there for two weeks on business. By the second day, I would have moved to another hotel but my company had prepaid my stay. Neither the rooms nor did the hotel have a microwave for guests to heat up.... anything. Since I have strict dietary requirements, that was very frustrating. I went with a group of 10, and it seems like every day, they'd have an issue getting breakfast or lunch arranged in a timely manner. On the first morning after our arrival, they didn't setup breakfast because no one had told the staff that there were 10 people expecting the breakfast buffet that had been arranged and prepaid by my company.

As a vegetarian, I was initially told that they couldn't cook vegetarian dishes for the lunch buffet (we my company had prepaid) because their 'regulars' wouldn't like it. I had to kick up a huge fuss just to get them to take me seriously. They ended up cooking an individual vegetarian dish for me - but after the same 'bow tie' pasta made it to my table day after day, I gave up and started munching on snacks before I went down to my company's pre-arranged lunch. By the last day of my stay, the food served at breakfast and lunch looked old and dried out. I feel like we were not even getting fresh food as you would expect at a hotel/meeting facility.

Everything was a struggle from the first day. Which is ironic since I'm fluent in Spanish, and I thought that was going to help me communicate with the locals.

The last straw was on my final day, I came down to breakfast at 7:30am, which was in the normal breakfast time (7am to 10am). The lady in charge at the cafe tells me that they are closed, and don't open until 7am. I responded that it was 7:30am, and she glanced at her watch, and very coolly said - We don't open until 8am. Just bold as you please, in your face, the epitome of apathy, condescension and non-existent customer service.

I wouldn't stay there again - even if it was the last hotel on earth.

Looking back, the thing I regret the most was not calling up my company on the second day and having them make other arrangements for our group. This experience alone would have soured me on Barcelona, had it not been for the lovely four days I spent at the Royal Ramblas near Pl. Catalunya (on vacation) before making my way to his place (on business).

A final note - it takes FOREVER to get to downtown Barcelona. And if you don't make it back on the last train (around midnight), the cab fare is about 60 euros.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank srs2011

Travellers are raving about these Bellaterra hotels

Moscow, Russia
Reviewed 29 October 2012

It's a good hotel both to visit the UAB (The Autonomous University of Barcelona) and to visit Barcelona.It is close to the university, only five to seven minute walk to the university buildings.
The only disadvantage --- distance from Barcelona to travel 40 minutes by train (which is connected to the metro).The last train out of the city center is somewhere in 23.00. So, if you sat too long in a restaurant or walked through the beautifully lit evening Barcelona, you can miss the last train to Belaterra where your hotel is situated and you have to go with a night bus that go at night every hour, and go in three times longer than the train (it's strange, but there are traffic jams in night Barcelona). At the same time, when I stay in hotels in the city center (for example, on the boulevard La Rambla), then there is only a choice between a terribly noisy hotel rooms facing the street, or rooms facing the inner courtyard--shaft where there is no air to breathe.
Here in Belaterra there are pines around, good air, and it's a very quiet place. There is no noise outside of the hotel room. The rooms are spacious and well equipped with all the necessary things. Breakfast is rich, with a large selection of dishes. There is a good restaurant for dinner.
The price is not high. This is a nice hotel from all sides.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank KatherinaK
southern california
Reviewed 8 October 2012

The rooms are really nice. However the first two I was shown had no working air conditioning. The third one had an individual unit on the wall and it worked fine but did not seem to have a thermostat so either the room was very cold or somewhat hot. The food was lacking in a number of ways - lack of fresh fruit options at the breakfast and dinner was rather minimalist - we had a group and a fixed menu that was not so good until the group complained and then we were at least given a couple of choices. The food at the faculty cafeteria on campus is much better than what the hotel serves, in my opinion. Proximity to the campus is excellent one can walk to all the major centers. Also the hotel is very quiet which is nice for business travellers. Wifi service was iffy in the rooms I sometimes had to go to the lobby to use the wifi. For US travellers in spain my opinion is that 4 stars in Spain is more like 2-3 stars in the US so this will not be at the level of a full service hotel in the US. It is rather like a partial service hotel.

Room Tip: Check the air conditioning before you agree to a room.
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Andrea B
Valletta, Malta
Reviewed 5 October 2012

I have really enjoyed my stay in the Hotel Campus. I can say that the price for the room including breakfast was really worth it. Room was very comfortable. The rooms include a bath and shower, mini bar, air conditioning, lockable safe and much more. The hotel is also very close to the train station and only takes about 30 minutes to the centre of Barcelona and the trains pass every 10 minutes. Breakfast was also very good and included both continental and English. The only thing i can comment about is that 2 days out of 4 the bain marie where food is kept was out of order and all cooked food was cold. Apart from that i suggest this Hotel to anyone visiting Barcelona as you gat much more than you get in Barcelona city centre for what you pay.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Ivan Z
Saint-Etienne, France
Reviewed 4 July 2012

This hotel is 30 minutes by train + 10 minutes walk from Barcelona Center(Placa Catalunya).
OR There is also a bus (Number A3) runs from the hotel to Barcelona, The bus will leave you at Estacion Fabra i Puig in Barcelona from where you have to take a Metro to Placa Catalunya of anywhere else you want to go. If you buy a 10 journey ticket (you need 2 zone tickets), each journey would cost you 1.8 Euros (same ticket for the Bus and the Train).
The hotel is infact situated inside the campus of a University (UAB). The lobby of the hotel is great. The room was clean. The breakfast was awesome. Although, I have no issues with this hotel, my companion of the trip was given the key of a room which was already occupied! However, they sorted it out quickly without much fuss but for a professional hotel it is a terrible thing to do.
However, based on my personal experience I would rate this hotel as very good.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bellaterra
Eurostars Executive
Exe Parc del Valles
Exe Parc del Valles
#2 of 2 in Cerdanyola del Valles
BlueBay City Barcelona Sant Cugat
BlueBay City Barcelona Sant Cuga...
#5 of 6 in Sant Cugat del Valles
H2 Sant Cugat
H2 Sant Cugat
#6 of 6 in Sant Cugat del Valles

Been to Hotel Campus? Share your experiences!