“Very nice hotel”

Hotel Fuerte el Rompido
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in El Rompido
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 15 October 2012

It's a very nice hotel suitable for any type of traveler, the location is beautiful and the facilities are great. Loved the pool area!
The price is very good, good value for money really.
The only thing is the mattress which was very hard.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank BiTrindade
Write a ReviewReviews (1,209)

Reviewed 14 October 2012

Stayed overnight onway to Portugal and wished we had booke for longer. Situated in its own grounds totally enclosed so ideal for families with children. Appeared to have good choice of day time activities including Kayaying. Regularboat trip accross inlet to beach. Food buffet but very good quality(if we had stayed a week would have put on severa lpounds)
Stayed in October and used indoor pool and could have used indoor thermal curcuit if we had stayed longer. Towels for pool supplied free of charge.
Enjoyed stay and would use again next time for longer

Room Tip: Reception on 5th floor, Indoor poolbar and restaurant on 4th floor evening entertainment on this flo...
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Peter H
Reviewed 7 October 2012

This my third time back here in a couple of years, I live in Spain and after a very busy summer I really look forward to driving here, everything is so easy from the check in to comfortable rooms with a good tv selection, the buffet breakfast in the morning is a good selection of hot and cold and plenty of coffee fresly brewed, you can even have a nice glass of cava if that takes your fancy, it would be nice to have a paper to read , they did have them on my first visit but not on my second and third, that would top the breakfast off for me. This is a dog friendly hotel and they suppy free boat passes to a fantastic beach where dogs are allowed.

El rompido itself is a lovely little boating village with some great places to eat, there are some amazing walks from the hotel around the nature reserve with lots of wildlife to see.

This hotel is great value for money and I'm already looking forward to booking my next trip.

The only downside is I find the mattresses very hard.

Room Tip: The Sea view rooms are worth the extra on your first visit, it's a real treat.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Kathy Y
Reviewed 23 September 2012

My husband and I have just arrived back after a wonderful holiday at the Fuerte El Rompido hotel. The friendliness of the staff and the excellent buffet breakfast and dinner were better than expected. There was also great entertainment in the evenings and during the day with activities to suit everyone. The overall experience and atmosphere is most relaxing. They catered very very well for gluten free diets which my husband requires. The main swimming pool is very big and spacious with another two pools, one a circular pool and a very shallow one for little children. The layout is beautiful with terraced sunbed areas and a plentiful supply of sunbeds and umbrellas. There is a small town about 10 minutes walk away where there are many fish restaurants and also a local shopping area close to the hotel with a few shops, a small supermarket and a coffee/ice cream cafe and bars. The receptionist at the door for dinner, Laura, was so pleasant to everyone and especially helpful regarding the gluten free items. The staff in this hotel are marvellous, helpful and patient. We are a mature couple and loved our holiday there, we'll be back.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank MelmicCork
Reviewed 21 September 2012

Great location with superb, helpful staff

Great buffet dinner and breakfast

Vast open areas with large pools, children's pool and jacuzzi. Cleverly laid out terraces giving a degree of privacy to the sun beds

Good value for money

Room Tip: Try and get a sea view room
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Derek H
Reviewed 14 August 2012

Let me start out by saying that I am going to be as objective about this as I can - this sort of hotel is not my cup of tea but after a few days touring Andalucia (via Gibraltar and Morocco) we booked here (back in March) for 5 days R & R.

Things started off a bit badly with the reception guy telling us three crucial bits of information incorrectly

a) where are room was (completely the opposite side of the hotel - in fairness he did phone and apologise, not many Brit hotel people would do that)

b) that breakfast was until 12:30 (we thought this late even by Spanish standards, and when we arrived at 11:15 saw it finished at 11! But still time to get brekkie, nobody moaned!)

c) the arrangements if you wanted to eat in the hotel. It was so complicated with regard to booking before this time or that, and with or not with reception - the penalty for getting it wrong was a whopping €10 per person (€17 if you got it right, €27 if you didn't).

The first night we arrived at the correct time, or so we thought, and the Maitre D, confirmed this albeit with a puzzled look on her face..........more of that to come later.

So the buffet - enormous choice and it looked and tasted not bad at all - for mass catering it was a brilliant effort, the guy who cooks the fresh meat and does the omelettes in the morning deserves a medal, happy and hard working - and that is a theme that runs through the hotel - the members of staff are excellent, helpful, smiley and busy - we really liked them, but special mention to Luis Jose (I think) very nice bloke indeed. Service in the buffet for drinks it excellent, we did not have any problems at all.

The rooms - spotless as is the hotel, the only criticism is that the A/C in ours was a bit useless (our children's room was fantastic) and there was sometimes a whiff of stale / standing water, not damp I think. But these were minor issues.

Grounds / pool - fantastic, beautifully kept and loads of bins including recycling ones, what a great idea! Of course there were areas on the grass where ignorant selfish lazy smokers had discarded their butts, but it would be something of a Herculean effort to rid the grounds of all of these.

It was easy to get a sunbed, less easy to find a cushion, although we sussed that out by getting one before breakfast (10:30) and doing the old German trick - although there were always plenty.

Pool again very very clean and big. Sometimes a bit crowded but in the afternoon often deserted due to siestas being taken. However you can get away from the noise because the hotel in on a slope and if you take a bed towards the sea it slopes away from the noise.

If you were a couple coming here this really might not be your cup of tea, but I have to say, not sure if it is a class thing or a Spanish thing, but there were very very few kids running around out of control, particularly in the restaurant - perhaps the Spanish (who accounted for 95% of the punters) don't tolerate that, whatever it was, it was much appreciated.

The other thing we liked was the relaxed atmosphere in terms of eating and drinking. Nearby there is a supermarket and the hotel could so easily say that you cannot eat items bought outside, but it doesn't and we even hogged the fridge to cool down our drinks - incidentally the minibar prices were very reasonable.

So all in all fantastic......until I checked out. I had guessed what the bill would be, more or less, and the lovely Macarena confirmed this. When I got back to the pool and had a look I noticed some odd charges which (excuse the pun) didn't add up. So off I went back to see Macarena who, unfortunately, revealed the correct interpretation of the labyrinthine rules of eating in the buffet - oh dear, my inquisitiveness regarding the bill is going to cost me dear. But hang on, marvellous Macarena then says, 'No problem' and alters both bills to suit and everything is hunky dory except that I have gone redder than a watermelon's insides - why? Oh dear, the difference is €4 - oops. I tried to donate it to charity but the system wouldn't allow that.

So a huge thanks to Marvellous Macarena, the most patient hotel receptionist I have ever met and I have stayed in hundreds of hotels. Also generally well done, we all agreed as we drove away that it was a superb hotel, we had a great stay indeed.

Muchas gracias!!!

Room Tip: Sea view is nice and make sure aircon is working well
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
5  Thank C4LWX
Reviewed 12 August 2012

My wife and I stayed here for four nights end of July, flew into Faro and it's about 100 kilometres east--easy to find. This is a family hotel and 95%+ Spanish, there are a lot of children everywhere but we found them very well behaved so no problem for us. It's a big hotel we had a sea view room 165 euros per night bed and breakfast--rooms overlooking the pool my be noisy during the day. Breakfast was very good with hugh selection and an egg station, there was an offer for dinner of 16 euros per person which we used on 2 nights.
El Rompido town is very small, mostly small restaurants-La Paterna and El Rinconcito stood out, there is not much to do and no major towns to visit. The main beach is reached by boat (hotel gave us tickets) but when you get there there is nothing, beautiful but isolated--take an umbrella for shade. Overall glad we went here but four days was enough for just the two of us--would be different with children. We used it as an extension to our main holiday on the Algarve.

Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
Playacartaya Spa Hotel
Puerto Antilla Grand Hotel
Garden Playanatural Hotel & Spa
Precise Resort El Rompido - The Hotel

Been to Hotel Fuerte el Rompido? Share your experiences!