“Lovely place and really quiet”

Alqueria de Morayma
Ranked #1 of 2 Cadiar B&B and Inns
Reviewed 10 January 2013 via mobile

Stunning place
Lovely accommodations and really good value.
Did not have time to use the swimming pool
but it looks inviting!
It was lovely to eat some tapas in such beautiful surroundings.
I have already recommended the place to British friends and I am sure they will not be disappointed.
Only one critic, the lady at the reception was not really welcoming on our arrival at the Hotel, she could make some efforts!!!

• Stayed: July 2012

Reviewed 22 December 2012

Beautiful suite for 4 people once again, cost: about 107 euros per night. Breakfast is only 3 euros per person, although any additional coffee or piece of bread is priced with a supplement, whih was not the case before. We didn't find the food as nice as before.
A new family (I have seen a group of ladies) was to find - ownership change, and so with this a different atmosphere is to be expected. I do hope good quality will remain, as we often come to the Alqueria with the family. We did leave with a note of sadness in our hearts.

Room Tip: See rooms on the hotel's website beforehand - they are all different. Book your room, especially...
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank semagora
Reviewed 25 August 2012

I have stayed 5 times in 10 years, and the hotel has, or had, a lot to recommend it, though now it faces stiff competion in the Alpujarras. Expect tranquility and wonderful views, adequate food, very slow service, tired/bored staff and a lack of a welcoming feel to it. It is no longer owner-run, and 3 management teams or tenants in 2 years is beginning to show. The staff seem to turn over with each team.

The wasps are a big issue. During the day they make eating on the terrace difficult but not impossible. Early evening, watching the sun go down with a drink and tapa, they drive you indoors. 12 descended on one small plate and 1 in a beer. Several families took their food inside, without help from the staff. When I suggested they do something to get rid of the wasps the response was that it is the countryside and to be expected. (A not dissimilar hotel 5 miles up the road did not have the same problem). Upon asking to see the manager I was told that he would be around "in a few days". After dark the problem sorted itself out as the wasps went away, and dining on the terrace was possible.

Motto: Don´t expect too much, and beware of the wasp season - August/September.

The pool was also the worst I have seen it. It is tiled somewhat unattractively in green tiles, and this summer it has algae on the floor of the pool which gives it a dirty look, and indeed feel. This suggests not enough chlorine in the water, though the water itself appears clean and of good quality.

Room Tip: Choose one of the slightly more expensive rooms which are larger and have a terrace
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Paul T
alqueriamorayma1, Gerente at Alqueria de Morayma, responded to this reviewResponded 17 September 2012

From my position as manager in Alquería of Morayma, I'm sorry you have not enjoyed your stay at our hotel.
For us your feedback is extremely important to keep improving.
We are a new team and thanks to customers like you who give constructive criticism, we continue to make improvements in all aspects.
Hopefully we can go back to them again and enjoy a new experience that can assess positively.
A greeting and farewell!

Reviewed 15 August 2012

Maybe my expectation was to high, but I was very disappointed with this hotel. It is set in beautiful countryside close to Cadiar and has a simple, rustic Spanish charm. When we arrived we walked through an attractive internal passageway to the bar/restaurant, which had a lovely romantic, intimate feel to it. However there was no one at reception to greet us and we had to wait a good 10 minutes whilst someone was found to check us in.

Our room was pretty basic and as unfortunately we had chosen to stay whilst the area was experiencing a heatwave the room was very warm. There was a fan but this really did little to cool the room down. I had hoped that during the night there was be a breeze from the open window but unfortunately not. We also commented that this room could be equally cold in winter as there was no heating. The terrace outside the room was not particularly attractive with an old table and two chairs.

We decided to go to the bar for a drink and some tapas as we didn´t want a full meal because we were having dinner at the hotel that evening. I decided to try the hotel´s white wine, which unfortunately was oxidised so I had to send it back, as was the glass of wine I was then served from a local bodega. There was no year on either of these bottles and I suspect that they were more than 18 months old, which is normally the time limit for keeping Spanish white wine. Fortunately the third glass, from a different bottle from the hotel´s vineyard was fine as was the glass of red wine that my husband had. Whilst the hotel served us a complimentary tapas with our wine (as is normal in the province of Granada) there was no separate tapas menu.

We then decided to take a dip in the pool to cool off. Sadly it was a murky shade of green and not at all inviting and certainly not romantic as one review I had read described it as. Also there were very few sunbeds, all of which were taken so we decided to give the pool a miss. There was also no shade anywhere near the pool.

We arrived for dinner at our reserved time of 8pm only to find that the tables had not been set and whilst we didn´t particularly mind waiting until later, it would have been nice to have been told when we booked the table that 8pm was too early. Sadly when we finally ate, we were both extremely disappointed with the meal. My fried goats cheese starter with a red cherry jam, was in fact very fine slivers of fresh goats cheese coasted in batter and didn´t really taste of anything. My chicken with lemon was a chicken thigh with a couple of pieces of lemon inserted into cuts in the skin. There was very little chicken on the bone and I wasn´t impressed. My husband´s steak had been fried and was again not impressive.

The final insult was the coffee served at breakfast the following morning. Spanish coffee is normally extremely good and strong. This tasted of hot water with milk.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MargaretGranada

As manager of Morayma Alquería sorry you have not enjoyed your stay at our hotel.
First, we believe that our rooms are decorated according to the particular environment and comply with the rules and requirements for a rural hotel 2 stars.
Regarding air conditioning say that any of the Alpujarra hotel has air conditioning in the rooms, because often cold at night, which unfortunately sorry found Spain is going through a heat wave. We try to solve the problem as best we could.
I also wanted to tell you that in all our rooms have floor heating, which means it is on the ground, and perhaps did not see the heaters for this reason ..
Regarding the wine, we usually work with local wineries and organic production very little production, usually without wine queamos us in full summer season, so the wine they drank was not more than 18 months since we do not have more than 12 months.
In relation to the pool and the food, we appreciate your constructive criticism and your opinion because we can improve.
Hope to see you again and your opinion changes.
Best regards and thanks for everything.

Reviewed 6 August 2012

This was our second stay at the Alqueria, as we loved the time spent there the year before. Cleary the best value in the area. Internet works perfectly, with even an international adaptor available, as I had forgotten my plug. Relaxing, with a small swimming pool and towels for rent.

Room Tip: Choose a room with a balcony if possible (see on the hotel's web site) - each room is different...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 22 July 2012

We strongly recommend this place: great views, very relaxing, very good food at the restaurant!
and Swimming pool
very romantic.
Also perfect for families.
We had planned to stay one night and stayed 4!
perfect to relax and escape from stress
(good Wifi connection at the bar)

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Nathalie R
Reviewed 30 June 2012

I visited with a group of family and friends for a celebratory birthday lunch. I'd ordered a 'para picar' tasting menu beforehand and so no fussing over menus and translations for those without Spanish. I'd strongly recommend eating indoors at lunchtime as the flies and wasps of mid-summer can be annoying. Instead we ate in the main dining room that's airy and beautifully decorated with old photos and modern original art. One friend thought the room reminded her of a museum's reading room. I think that was a positive.

The food was excellent, espcially welcomed by our veggie contingent of 2. Salads with a lot of imagination, dips made with lots of local specialist ingredients such as fresh sheeps/goats' cheese, Alpujarran air-cured ham and cep mushrooms. The place also makes its own wine and the red is excellent. The white, made from the local grape Vijiriego, was less good, but still enjoyable - has a very slight retsina-like quality.

Desserts were limited but clearly all home-made. There didn't appear to be anything at all made not using fresh local ingredients.

All of this cost us just €20 a head including wine and coffee. Bargain!

Service is a little slow by city or northern European standards, but why rush anyway?

In recent years the Alquería has had two or three different management teams, this new one seems the best yet and I'd recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Andalublue
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cadiar
Alcadima Hotel
Hotel Miramar
Hotel Miramar
#4 of 9 in Lanjaron
Hotel Villa de Bubion

Been to Alqueria de Morayma? Share your experiences!