“"Worst experience ever"”

Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Singer Island
Dearborn, Michigan
“"Worst experience ever"”
Reviewed 19 September 2012

This was my second and probably my last time I would ever go to this Marriott on Singer Island.
I recently visited this hotel with my family of three this summer along with my sister and her family of two. I cant even find one bad thing to say about this hotel's service until a real emegency occured and they were extremely unprepared.I mean if it was not for the grace of god and my brother in law my husband and my eighteen year old daughter would be dead today.Unfortunately they got caught by the reef and were drowning, after noticing that they were missing we went looking for them and noticed they were barely keeping afloat while trying to flag us for help.
I started running for help like a crazy chicken with its head cut off and for the life of me I could not find anyone in site, meanwhile my brother-in-law had gone in and said to call an ambulance.
With no lifegaurd on duty I tried to get any staff member from the hotel to get help, barely standing on my feet terrified of whats to come,I felt like I was going into circles, frantic.
Finally someone at the bar saw me and said to the bartender I think she needs help and to call 911, a while after someone from the hotel came with a emergency kit by that time someone helped my brother in law bring my daughter and husband in from the water but my husband was barely breathing and I asked if they had an oxygen mask and they said no we have to wait for the ambulance which also took forever, at that point all of the hotel staff was standing around trying to make out what could have gone wrong.I was shocked. This was probably the worst experience in my life, I felt so helpless and scared, the thought of almost losing your loved one is terrifying.I would not wish it on my worst enemy.Thank god they assured me that my husband would be ok but because he took in so much water they would need to take him in for further monitoring, I ran upstairs to change and go to the hospital and left my kids with my sister, my daughter was just quite and happy to be alive, I was so scared she would be traumatized but the whole situation could have been so much worse we all tried to focus on the positive. Unfortunately my husband was hospitalized and got out the next day. I have to say with all that was going on I didnt have time to stop and see if the hotel had any remorse for what could of happened but apparantely they came to the room to put some bandages on my brother in law and my daughter because the reef kind of cut them up, when they came out of the water they looked like edward scissor hand, my daughter may have scars for life on her thighs than they took the report and left and we never heard from them again, not even to check on my husband.
Are you kidding me, 2 guest of your hotel almost lose thier lifes and you dont even have the descency to call and check to see if they are ok, no apologys, no free breakfast on us or dinner or maybe one free nite because you had to spend it in the hospital. Wow, no acknowledgement whatsover. "POOR POOR POOR CUSTOMER SYMPATHY AND SERVICE". at the end of the day true that they had that sign about swimming at your own risk but I hold them resposible for not informing us of the current water conditions at that time, the board was empy with nothing on it but all of a sudden it appeared the second day, obviously they fumbled and tried to rectify it before anyone else got hurt. If you have kids, if you dont know how to swim and if you love life stay away from this hotel, they have no respect for the human life, otherwise they would invest in a lifeguard, and be quicker to respond to an emergency, any emergency for this matter.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
14 Thank amy s

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (355)
Plantsville
Reviewed 13 September 2012

Stayed here for a business trip only because others that i was traveling with had already booked this hotel and I was not at all disappointed. My room was very clean when I got there and upon returning from my business duties the room was just as clean every day. Two pools (one with a water slide), hot tub, restaurant, bar, gym, and computer room. Down side; parking is $20 per day. Staff very friendly.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank ZorroXX
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed 12 September 2012

The Marriott on Singer Island is a beautiful condo style resort. It is very well decorated, has a full size fridge along with a washer and dryer. We had a big balcony with a great view of the ocean and the intercoastal. The pool area was great - very quiet - I suppose most of the children had gone back to school. I enjoyed a spa day - they have great specials early/late in the day.

Staff was friendly, knowledgeable and attentive, good happy hour in the bar - yes, the food is pricey as is the parking, but this is an upscale, exclusive resort and at least you don't have to pay a resort fee!

My husband and I will be back - btw...I was in a hotel room 231 days last year....this is by far the most comfortable bed and bedding....

Room Tip: Just be aware there are not any ocean frnt rooms. Make sure you ask for a ocean view
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Peggy P
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Reviewed 4 September 2012

Very friendly, professional service. Lagoon pool was great for young children. Infinity pool was very nice but still very loud since kids were allowed. Great place overall for children since they were welcome everywhere. Beach was the place to find peace since you have to pay to use beach cabanas and chairs. Love to spend time at the beach. Room was super spacious with two private bedrooms and a nice full kitchen. Very nice decor and modern updates. Food was well priced. Nice restaurant on site. Starbucks coffee on site.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Raquelina10
Carlisle, Kentucky
Reviewed 3 September 2012 via mobile

My wife and I spent part of our honeymoon here (Aug. 25 & 26) after being evacuated from Key West due to Hurricane/tropical storm Isaac. Just as luck would have it we drove right into the outer bands of the storm and the weather was awful, but the resort certainly was not! The staff was friendly and attentive. We reserved a 1 bedroom condo with an ocean view and the room was outstanding! A great kitchen with a full size refrigerator and dishwasher, granite counter tops, bar stools, dishes, silverware, and a washer and dryer. The kitchen area opened into a living area complete with couch, tv, & coffee table. Off from the living area was the bedroom wit king bed, walk-in closet (complete with bath robes) & balcony with very nice outdoor furniture and a view of the ocean. The bathroom had a separate shower and tub and then a dedicated area for the toilet with a sliding door. Point being the room was very large (I'd guess over 1,000 sq ft) and very nicely appointed. The restaurant was very good as well. The beach was large, but there were some large rocks just beyond the surf. So, be watchful of your children. The area itself is pretty much "resort row" so there's not much of anything else beyond your resort that's close by. Also, valet parking is mandatory which is an added $20 per day, so be forewarned. There is also a very nice spa, SiSpa, in the resort. It's full service but its also full pay. $400 for a couples massage. All in all a very nice stay. I felt the room itself was a bargain and the staff were some of the best in the business from top to bottom!

Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
New York City, New York
Reviewed 28 August 2012

We stayed in a two bedroom suite with ocean view. This was perfect so my parents could stay with us and spend time with their 15 month old granddaughter. The place was clean, new, and perfect. The amenities were great, the lagoon pool and the other pools were all very nice and fun. The beach was good, though I would prefer to see better beach front service for a full fledged resort (though I may be spoiled by Riviera Maya). The staff were super friendly and accommodating. I will stay here whenever we visit my folks in West Palm Beach.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 24 August 2012

We are currently staying at the Palm Beach Marriott Singer Island Beach resort. We booked a 10 day vacation and overall we have had a great time. The pool and beach are very nice with very friendly and accommodating staff. The rooms are relatively modern, and the set up works well for families with children.

While our stay thus far has been truly enjoyable, today our experience has taken a negative turn. We are in a room located by the main pool. It is noisy during the day but until today, it has been quiet between 9pm and 9 am. Which for us, as long as it is quiet during the evening hours, the daytime noise is to be expected. Last evening, they left the music going all night. Needless to say, no one slept well last night. I called the front desk this morning at 8 am and spoke with Rachel in regards to this issue. She told me she would relay my concerns to a manager who would get back to me shortly. At 2 pm, I still had not received a call from management. When I called again, I received Rachel again. She gave me the same rehearsed phrase that she had given me earlier. When I questioned if a manger would in fact call me back, I was honored to hear the same rehearsed phrase again, but this time with an added bonus of a condescending tone to her voice. After speaking with Rachel for the second time, she called me back 2 minutes later to inform me that they do leave the music on for 24 hours a day (even though they have not for the last 7 days), but would turn the volume down this evening. While I agree that turning the volume down to an appropriate level during the middle of the night is a common sense and appropriate solution. I did not enjoy my evening of no sleep last night and Rachel's lack of assistance.

We would stay here again, but hopefully I would not have to deal with Rachel again!

• Stayed August 2012
2 Thank kj1219
Also consider these accommodations in or near Singer Island
Marriott's Ocean Pointe
Marriott's Ocean Pointe
#1 of 4 in Palm Beach Shores
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,348 reviews
Palm Beach Shores Resort and Vacation Villas
Palm Beach Shores Resort and Vac...
#2 of 4 in Palm Beach Shores
Hilton West Palm Beach
Hilton West Palm Beach
#3 of 34 in West Palm Beach
Hilton Singer Island Oceanfront/Palm Beaches Resort

Been to Palm Beach Marriott Singer Island Beach Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!