“Problematic and not recommended”

Palm Beach Marriott Singer Island Beach Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Singer Island
Connecticut
“Problematic and not recommended”
Reviewed 25 July 2014

Admittedly, this type of place really isn't my scene but I had a family event and this was where the family was staying. From the onset, our stay was problematic. We lost power for a day. We lost water the next day. They said both of these were island-wide issues, which just wasn't true- our family was also staying on the island and they did not have these issues. Their reactions weren't helpful. Instead of, I don't know, giving people some bottles of water, we were forced to buy minibar evians to brush our teeth. The toilet broke and the room was also not ready on time.

The place IS nice. But in addition to the problems, it felt really unwelcoming. Everything has a cost. You have to pay $24/day to park your car. It's not even that expensive in NYC. The internet is $12.99/day. In this day and age and at this price, why is wifi not included? I haven't had to pay extra for wifi in YEARS. To get the good chairs at the pool, you have to pay a fee. The list goes on and on. It's just sucks the joy out of it.

I don't know. Maybe this is what this scene is all about. In that case, I will continue staying at B & B and boutique hotels.

2 Thank jwillbuckeye
Roger A, General Manager at Palm Beach Marriott Singer Island Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 29 July 2014
Thank you for taking your time and sharing your experience with the Palm Beach Marriott Singer Island Beach Resort & Spa.

I sincerely apologize about the issues you experienced with the power and water. We take great pride in ensuring our guest’s satisfaction. Our goal is to address your concerns so that we can ensure you have an exceptional experience on your next visit.

Everything we do is aimed at providing you with an excellent hotel experience. We would like to regain your trust and hope to serve you again in the future. If I may be of assistance, please don’t hesitate to contact me.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (354)
Suwanee, Georgia
Reviewed 25 July 2014

I would have given this resort 5 stars, no problem, had it not been for our numerous encounters with a lackluster, and unaccommodating front desk team. The property is smaller than I envisioned, but very pretty and well kept. Overall, it made for a wonderful stay, and we will be back (despite the poor service).

The room:
We had a 2 bedroom/2 bath condo style room, with a full kitchen and laundry room. The living room was equipped with a couch, coffee table, and two arm chairs. The kitchen had 2 microwaves (not sure why), a toaster oven, 2 stove burners, dishwasher, and a full size refrigerator. Our room was located on the back corner of the hotel, so we had a very large L-shaped balcony, but it only had 2 chairs. We wished it had 4 since that was the number of adults staying in our unit. The bedrooms were smaller, but had plenty of storage space and room in each for a pack and play for our babies. The only downside to the entire suite was that the pocket doors that separated the bedrooms from the living room would not stay closed unless they were locked from the inside. This often posed a problem when we put our daughter down for a nap in the bedroom, or when someone was showering and someone else needed to get in the room. Overall, the room exactly matched the description and images on Marriott's website, and was extremely clean and nice.

The pools:
Both pools seemed rather empty to me, at all times of day. We never went in the infinity pool, but walked by it empty several times throughout our stay. That pool has an adult only time from 7-9 every morning. The lagoon pool is where we did most of our swimming, and it was also mostly empty at all times. This seemed odd to me, since we were told several times that the hotel was at capacity the entire time we were there. In the mornings the lagoon pool is completely shaded because the sun is being blocked by the building, and it also hosts a bar/food area, waterfall, and water slide. The pool also seemed to be heated in the mornings, but would cool off by evening.

The beach:
This is why we stayed at this property. We enjoy direct beach access from our hotel, and this property delivered. While the beach itself was not the best - in terms of clean, white sand - the water was amazing. It was crystal clear and very smooth, thanks to a reef right off shore. The reef and clear water also afforded us the chance to go snorkeling. The snorkeling along the reef at low tide was great! The water wasn't too deep and there were a TON of fish. The only thing I would to have liked to have seen onshore was a sign warning visitors of the fire sponge on the rocks. We saw a ton and know what it is, so we stayed away, but other visitors may not.

We did not visit the restaurants or spa, so I cannot comment on these.

The only bad:
We were traveling with a 3 month old infant, and when we made the reservation we requested early check-in. The agent I spoke with said she had noted it, but it always helps to call the hotel the morning of check-in to make sure a room would be available. At 8am the morning of our arrival I called the hotel and spoke with someone at the front desk. She assured me they had seen our request and our room would be ready by 1pm. We arrived at the hotel at 2pm, and the front desk acted like they had no idea about our request and simply said the room would be cleaned soon. When asked for a time frame, they could not and would not say anything more. They told us they would store our bags, but the pools and outdoor areas were closed because of lightning. So, basically we had to sit in the lobby. Throughout the next 2 hours we asked the front desk for updates on our room and they continually ignored us, and gave non-answers. Finally, we spoke to a manager at 3:55pm who of course told us our room was now ready because the 4pm check-in time had arrived. Sitting in the lobby for 2 hours caused many problems for us and ruined the first day/night of our vacation. The other half of our family traveling with us actually went home the next morning because of the repercussions of not having our room ready when they said it would be. The complete lack of compassion and competence by the front desk staff and management was very unlike Marriott. While, I didn't want to judge them on this one event a few days later when we requested late check out and were just told point blank, "not available". I have to again comment on the curtness and unaccommodating staff. In my 15+ years of staying in Marriott brand hotels I have NEVER been denied early check-in or late check-out, or have been treated disrespectfully and without any regard to customer service.

LIke I said, we would stay here again so it didn't ruin things for us, but the customer service issues definitely need to be addressed at this property.

Room Tip: Look at Marriott's website when selecting a room - the pictures and descriptions of the differen...
Houston
Reviewed 23 July 2014

Super beach, right out the back door, with food and beverage service on the beach
Modern rooms with great layout and amenities, and kitchenette made snacking easy
Had a north facing room with an awesome view
Every staff person we interacted with was friendly, helpful, and professional
Had good experience in the spa
No retail on island, but grocery and pharmacy only 10 minutes away

Reviewed 22 July 2014 via mobile

My girlfriend and I stayed here as her 40th birthday treat from her hubby. We had a gorgeous oceanfront 2-bed condo, which was very comfortable and had a great view of the water/beach.
I enjoyed fact that the pool was open for adult lane swimming only from 7:00 - 9:00 am, though some genius also thought that was an excellent time to turn on the pool fountains
The service staff were great/friendly and the facilities top notch. My friend also thoroughly enjoyed her spa treatments. All in all, not too shabby

Stayed July 2014
Roger A, General Manager at Palm Beach Marriott Singer Island Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 14 August 2014
Thank you for your positive feedback on stay. I am happy to hear that you had a great time with us for your 40th Birthday! We hope you can return in the future.
Overland Park, Kansas
Reviewed 17 July 2014

This resort was great, so great that my wife and I would nit-pick and labeled some of the issues #paradiseproblems for those of you that speak Twitter.

We (wife and 2 girls ages 6&2) stayed for 1 week in July. It was awesome, we will be back. My parents also stayed in their own room, they loved it as well. Since I was in 1 and 2 bedroom suites I thought I might be able to provide some unique feedback that may help others:

First, let me point out this is a Category 9 Marriott. I think 9 is the highest it goes. If you like "service" and "amenities" and realize that these things aren't free you will love this property. For instance, yes you must valet your car and it costs money. Or, you can enjoy the fact that you can call the valet from your room and when you get downstairs the car is pulled around and waiting. (I don't know why more people don't call down and spend time just standing there waiting for your car - plan ahead or #paradiseproblems). Same with the Bellman. If you go to the grocery store and buy a weeks worth of booze and food you can't "self-service" the bellman cart ... so relax and tip the poor kid and let him bring it to your room. You are on vacation. We found the valets and bellmen to be responsive and helpful, the concierge was great at recommendations. Actually everything I list below from a food and tour perspective came from Sean the concierge ... stud!

Service: EVERYONE and I mean EVERYONE especially the people cleaning the rooms goes out of their way to say hello and good morning / afternoon. I also think they train their staff to tell every little girl they look like a princess, not joking as we heard this frequently and Dad caught on to this and the girls just smiled. Service here was great. Everyone says "my pleasure" when you thank them and you can tell the staff is well trained. The cleaning service was great and they checked daily if we needed anything and to make sure the room was OK. The rooms are so dam big it would take hours to clean it all so we just requested towels and trash service and had the entire room cleaned every couple of days.

Smell: I only say this because it is awesome ... but like a Vegas casino I swear they pump Febreeze through the air as you walk in the front doors or when you hit the lobby. I wish my house had that feature. trust me, you will notice it and like it.

Rooms: Holy crap are they awesome and this makes the property. There are 21 floors according to the elevator (rooms start on 4th floor, no 13th floor, and go up to 21). We had a 2 bedroom condo (yes condo - not suite) as all the rooms are either 1 or 2 bedroom condo's. We had a great view from the 20th floor with a view of the ocean on the right and the inter-coastal on the left. It was spectacular. As a side note my parents original room was on the 5th floor and they stared directly at a palm tree. They moved 2 days later to 10th floor overlooking the pool. The resounding feedback was higher is better and ocean view is the best, highly suggest you go that route. The condos are amazingly spacious, you do not feel like you are in a hotel room. The rooms have full kitchens minus an oven. Full size fridge with an ice maker, small stove top, microwave, dishwasher, and stackable washer / dryer, 3 TVs, spacious balcony, Bose radio. The rooms have coffee mugs, glassware, utensils, stainless pots and pans, cutting board, knives etc. I was impressed. They supply paper towels and liquid dish soap. My only complaint was I wish they had a full size coffee maker, they one in the room is a half-pot ... #paradise problems. Other #paradiseproblem the trash can under the sink was too small. Other than that, ZERO room complaints The fact that we could make bacon and eggs and sandwiches for lunch saved me about $1000 easily. This is the main reason we will return as you get condo amenities in a resort setting ... oh and the 20th story ocean view is a nice touch too.

Helpful tips: when you arrive, there is a Publix grocery North of the hotel about 3 miles on A1A ... that is the nice part of town. There is one closer if you go left / south ... be sure to go right. You may want to buy or pack those detergent "pods" if you plan to do a load or two of laundry, hotel will charge you. Hit Publix and buy your paper plates, eggs, bread, beer, wine, vodka ... you get the picture.

Food: There is a local pizza place that delivered to the room, Romana's I believe. Good stuff if you want to stay in some night. Also, the lounge inside 3800 Ocean has a separate happy hour and dinner menu we ordered from twice that was very good and took up to the room. I think this is the same menu as room service but you can avoid a 25% room service charge by going downstairs and enjoy a beer while you wait for the food. Food at the pool was great, one day we ate lunch there and quesadilla was great and I was even impressed with the hot dog from the Kid's menu. Other places to eat off property: Carmines (either the Seafood and sushi or the Market which is Italian) are both next to each other and overlook a harbor and your boat envy can kick in. We also had Cool'A Fish Bar in Palm Beach Gardens just past Carmine's which was good seafood as well (not on the water though). Jetty's in Jupiter was a place my parents hit that they really loved on the water with a hoppin' Tiki Bar next door. Tiger Woods lives in Jupiter ... this place is not a dump. Lastly, you MUST hit Pelican Cafe for an awesome breakfast. Very nice / quaint place with fresh complimentary homemade donuts ... this isn't a typical diner as they have lobster eggs benedict on the menu and fritatta's. I want to go back to Pelican Cafe right now. The tiki bar on property by the beack is called Coconuts. The Hilton next door (as you are looking at ocean turn right) also has a restaurant within beack walking distance called Coconuts that we ate at that was decent but very nice that it is very casual and you can walk there. The main restaurant in the Marriott is nice in the lounge and the 3800 Ocean actually restaurant part is nice too ... but you wouldn't go straight there from the pool / beach. The Hilton joint next door you can and it has a large bar that overlooks the ocean and again is a short walk.

Tours: if you have a rainy day in the forecast the Flagler Museum / Mansion tour was great and highly recommended. Flagler helped develop most of South Florida and built a 75 room mansion that you can tour. I recommend the self-guided tour that comes with these little phones that you can dial up and listen to certain portions of the tour. After you leave there cut through the golf course (straight ahead) and go to The Breakers resort (founded by Flagler) and if nothing else just drive up ... awesome (huge very fancy resort with like 9 restaurants on property - lots of limousines when we pulled up). We then drove down Worth Avenue the "Rodeo Drive" of W. Palm Beach which is a one way street with the most high end shops. We literally drove down Worth and circled back to 95 and were home for lunch, good half day excursion.

Pool / Beach: The pools are nice. I spent all my time at the kids pool aka Lagoon and went down the waterslide about 50x. My kids loved the slide. Also has a very nice zero entry for you folks with the young one's. There is a store called Wings if you go left out of the hotel literally 1 block away that is a beach discount store. I recommend getting your sand castle and pool stuff here and donating it when you leave. This place sells $2.99 shirts ... cheap and plenty. Buy souvenirs and sunscreen here rather than in the hotel lobby shop. The beach you can rent 2 chairs and an umbrella for $10 and hour, $20 for 2, or $30 for a day. They have a flag behind your chair that you can lift and someone will bring drinks and food. Keep in mind the servers have to truck quite a ways through sand to get from the kitchen / bar to the beach. My suggestion is spend 2 hours there one day and pack a pool bag and sneak a few drinks in it. You aren't allowed to bring outside drink to the pools or beach but nobody checked our pool bag ever. I brought an insulated cup that was filled with vodka tonic most of the time, be creative. I read some reviews complaining about slow service on the beach but I don't think people realize the distance and how hard it is to walk in that sand. Again #paradiseproblems just order everything you need at one time and don't make the poor guy run to get ranch, a lime, kethcup, etc and you'll be fine.

Spa: wife got a massage and grandma and daughter got pedicures. Pretty straight forward spa, good reviews. My wife did get a much better price on the massage going at 8AM, so keep that in mind when booking if you go early or late in the day the price may be cheaper.

All in all we really loved this trip. The condo-style rooms were very well received byt our group and the main reason coupled with the service, amenities, and location of the property. Palm Beach has tons of golf, shopping, and great restaurants very close so you can get in as much or as little trouble as you desire. If there is a bad experience out there we didn't see it at all and we were there for a week and my parents were as well in their own 1 bedroom and they had nothing but great things to say as well. Just understand what you are getting when you book here and realize some things will cost more but tell yourself you deserve it!

Room Tip: Higher the better and request an ocean view.
18 Thank mstanley23
Reviewed 17 July 2014 via mobile

We were concerned with the high cost for valet and beach chairs. The valets literally run to get cars and it was reasonable. It was better than the chaos if everyone was in the garage. Beach chair rental turned out really well since you don't have battle with towel holding and know you are set for the day. The one bedroom was very comfortable for a family of 4. We thought we would need to upgrade to a 2 bedroom but found the 1bedroom excellent. Approximately 1 mile away are some beach pubs with reasonable food prices - don't have to eat at the hotel.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
New York City, New York
Reviewed 15 July 2014

This was our second visit to the Palm Beach Marriott Singer Island. Both visits were in July (2013 and 2014). Last year, we had a terrific experience at this property from beginning to end. This year...not so much. The property itself is very nice and the condo-style rooms are spacious and upscale with nice views, full kitchens, washer and dryer, all large rooms and plenty of space for hanging out.

When we arrived this trip, there was no one around to help us. The valet was busy with other cars and there were no bell guys around anywhere. After waiting a while, we unloaded our car and found a cart on our own. Not a huge deal if I were staying at a lesser quality property but for this property, we expected more. The next day, we went downstairs for breakfast. They messed up my wife's omelet order twice - the last time confusing goat cheese with cheddar cheese. We hit the pool at 11am. We took the privacy sign off the door and turned on the "Please clean room" button. When we got back to our room around 5pm, there had been no maid service.

We ordered room service and the kid's dinners were terrible. The grilled cheese was cold and not melted and my daughter's spaghetti was a big stuck-together ball. The $9 pint of Ben and Jerry's was soup.

Breakfast the second day was ok except for the hair in my food. At this point, they offered us a credit for the meal. When I got the bill on our last day, there was no credit. We pointed this out and they gave us the credit but shouldn't have to point it out in the first place.

If I go to Singer Island again, I might give the Marriott another chance because the rooms are great and we had a nice experience the first time. I just hope they get their act together by then.

Room Tip: Get above the 10th floor...it's quitter because the wing sections end after 10 floors - and the...
2 Thank David_C60763
Roger A, General Manager at Palm Beach Marriott Singer Island Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 17 July 2014
Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay. I am disappointed to hear that there was no one to welcome and assist you with luggage when you arrived on property. I sincerely apologize for the issues you encountered with tour dining experiences and also housekeeping service. I have shared these comments with the team so that we can learn and improve in these areas. We hope that you will give us another opportunity in the future so that we can turn around your experience with us. If I may be of any further assistance please feel free to reach out to me.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Singer Island
Marriott's Ocean Pointe
Marriott's Ocean Pointe
#1 of 4 in Palm Beach Shores
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,344 reviews
Palm Beach Shores Resort and Vacation Villas
Palm Beach Shores Resort and Vac...
#2 of 4 in Palm Beach Shores
Hilton West Palm Beach
Hilton West Palm Beach
#3 of 34 in West Palm Beach
Hilton Singer Island Oceanfront/Palm Beaches Resort

Been to Palm Beach Marriott Singer Island Beach Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!