“Beautiful hotel, attentive staff”

The St. Regis Mardavall Mallorca Resort
Reviewed 15 November 2013 via mobile

My family -- six adults and a teenager-- stayed at The St. Regis on a trip to Mallorca last summer. It was an excellent stay. The grounds are beautiful, with flowers and well manicured lawns everywhere you look. The pool and well-equipped gym were also fantastic.

Pros: pool, grounds, gym/spa, staff

Cons: on the water, but the beach isn't really viable

Neutral: rooms are very nice, but not particularly unique

Stayed: July 2013
3  Thank LilyQJ
Danielle v, Manager at The St. Regis Mardavall Mallorca Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 18 November 2013

Hello to Brooklyn,
Very nice to read from you, thank you for sharing your comments regarding your stay last year in our hotel!
We would be very pleased to welcoming you back again soon!
Warm regards from the St. Regis Mardavall.

Reviewed 3 November 2013

This hotel can not get any better. It looks beautiful, location and gardens immaculate. Rooms superbly comfortable.The service and staff was well trained and very friendly.
We used the spa aswell and Swetlana is a wonderful and great therapist, she know what she does since she is also a physiotherapist.
I can go one with positive comments, just can not find anything not perfect!
Maybe one con: The breadrolls in the morning can be improved!

Room Tip: Sea view is well worth the extra pay!
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Danielle v, Manager at The St. Regis Mardavall Mallorca Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 5 November 2013

Good afternoon to Istanbul!
First of all thank you for staying with us and for having taken the time to post your review!
We are very pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay at the St. Regis Mardavall and will certainly pass on your kind compliments to Svetlana!
We regret to hear that you didn't enjoy our breadrolls and will discuss this matter with our chef.
Looking forward to welcoming you soon again!
Kindest regards from the Mardavall,

Reviewed 7 October 2013

This property, managed by Starwood, belongs to a German company and that is obvious. The staff, all of them, are or speak German. You might get a little surprised at breakfast with a loud "Guten morgen!" from the waiters. True, German clients are welcome spenders and expect, worldwide, to be addressed in their language plus this is Mallorca, a German touristic enclave in Spain.

St Regis means high prices for first class results. The prices are so high that one has a right to expect only the best. In some areas this hotel indeed delivers but in others not. Just assume everything was great and let us tell you what was not.

Breakfast service was non existing to disastrous. Dinner service suffered from a lack of waiters, too many chiefs and not enough indians. Screaming kids were running around everywhere including the bar where they should not be allowed and made sure to avoid the (great) kid's pool in order to pester us at the other ones. Concierges (Germans again) had little knowledge of Mallorca. A Spa appointment was not kept, cancelled without any notice (!) no compensation offered. Food by a German head cook was good but nothing to write home about and of course not at all Spanish in style. Reception could be much more personal, friendly and caring.

But fortunately everything else was tops justifying our "very good" rating.

Room Tip: Second floor rooms are better
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank TripperEurope1
Danielle v, Manager at The St. Regis Mardavall Mallorca Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 9 October 2013

Dear guest,
Thank you for your stay and your feedback! It is of main importance for us to know the opinion of our guests and I regret to read that your overall experience was not up to your expectations.
Please allow me to apologize, if anybody of our team did address him- or herself to you in German, although the majority of the Mallorcan visitors are indeed German speaking, we do have many repeater guests from all over the globe and our team is instructed to always address themselves to new guests in spanish.
Unfortunately the quality of our service was not what you had expected, I am very sorry for that and I can assure you that I have already discussed the issues with the management team to take corrective measures.
Once again, thank you for your time and should you plan to return to our beautiful island please do not hesitate to inform me of your next reservation giving me the opportunity to make your stay more pleasurable.
Sunny regards from Mallorca!

Reviewed 28 September 2013

We visited the St Regis in the last week of September. We stayed in a junior suite in the main building with a great view of the ocean and the pool / hotel grounds. No idea what it would have cost (we went with starwood points + award nights), but I assume it would have been pricy (even though this is slightly out of season).

Overall we had a great time and this is definately a top notch St Regis. But we should set the bar really high here, given this is a category 7 starwood property (their highest classification). The locations is great, the pool is lovely (amazing sun beds and very good cocktails!), the rooms are well maintained, clean, very spatious and extremely quiet. The spa is of a quality you would expect, the Michelin starred Es Fum restaurant is worth a visit and the staff is really good (they go at great length to make your stay pleasant and in our case were very helpful booking restaurants and arranging logistics). Housekeeping is very frequent and thorough.

So why then "very good" and not "excellent"? Well, there were a few things that really rubbed me up the wrong way:
- First restaurant Aqua (their general purpose restaurant for breakfast, buffet dinner, etc.): I think I've never had such an overpriced starwood restaurant experience. I'm glad I opted for a free-breakfast welcome gift, cause otherwise this sets you back €40 ($55!!) a day per person (if it's not included in your room rate, so I would check before you book); Now if this was the most amazing breakfast experience in the world, maybe, but it's just your average good hotel breakfast, nothing special. And it doesn't end there. Buffet dinner, hold your breath, €100 ($155)(incl. not very extravagent drinks and a small tip) per person. And trust me, it's not that special of a buffet.
- Being addressed in German on a constant basis (it stopped after a few days); The hotel has a lot of German guests and has adapted to this (staff speaking German, menu's in Spanish/English/German). Now I have no problem with that, but I don't like being stereo-typed by the staff by default as German (I'm Dutch and blond, so I see how it happens); Especially when the hotel prides itself with its tailored butler service, I would expect staff to at least start in English, not German, if they are not 100% sure...
- The amount of smoking and the lack of outside space where smoking wasn't allowed (there is none); I understand rules are different in different countries, but when you are in such a top-notch resort, the experience is really ruined when you can't avoid the (German) smokers; Whether it's the outside patio breakfast, the pool, the pool restaurant, the bar, ash trays everywhere and no non-smoking area; A real disappointment

So overall, it's a great resort and I can't imagine great disappointments, but there are definately a few things that are worth improving or just not value for money

Room Tip: Our room was in the main building (I think there are four) and it's definately very convenient i...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank LondonBas
Danielle v, Manager at The St. Regis Mardavall Mallorca Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 30 September 2013

Warm greetings to San Francisco!
Many thanks for your stay and for taking the time to share your experiences! Feedback of our guests is of main importance to us.
I am very sorry to read that our service was not up to your expectations, please accept my sincere apologies regarding the incidents addressing to you in German. To avoid this kind of unpleasant situations, our team has instructions to always first address themselves to new guests (of whom they do not yet know which language they prefer), in Spanish. I will certainly discuss the mentioned issues with my team and I hope that you will soon give us another chance to make your holiday “excellent” and not just “very good”.
Once more: thank you very much!
Groetjes vanuit Mallorca,

Reviewed 21 September 2013

When we checked in we were greeted warmly and then were shown to a ground floor room with a view of hedges (which we determined was the camoflauge for the roof of the spa). Although the room was well appointed and quite lovely, I quickly stated that I was underwhelmed with the view and didn't want to be on the ground floor. (For close to $1000 Euro a night, the view was really sub-standard). The reply was, "Well you requested a 'garden' view." We are experienced travelers and have been in many luxurious rooms with 'garden views.' This was a view of hedges, with no gardens to be seen. We were allowed to stay in this room while the check-in gal tried to locate another room for us. For an additional 100 Euro per night, (which she said should really have been an additional 200 Euro per night, but she was giving us a "deal"), we were shown to a room with a balcony in the main building, with butler service included. Can't say anything bad about the accommodations; they are truly top notch, with loads of closet space and room to move about.
We decided to have dinner at Aqua that evening and wanted to try the nightly " chef's tasting menu". After a lengthy discussion of the dinner selections with the waiter, including asking for a substitution of one of the items, our appetizers arrived. Unfortunately, this was not what we ordered. A different waiter quickly apologized and took the food back. About 20 minutes went by and the original waiter came back saying he couldn't understand why the order was wrong. At that moment, I had a flashback to the menu....the word Mittwoch stood out in my mind. Wednesday, Wednesday....Hmmm...but this was Friday. We were given the wrong menus! OK, mistakes happen, but how does an experienced waiter in a 5-star hotel not know what's being served as the Chef's Menu for the evening? We even had a 5 minute discussion about how I like my sea bass cooked....and as it turns out, it wasn't even being served that night! Unacceptable service!!!
Three days later, while sitting on the terrace sipping late afternoon cocktails with our friends who had just arrived from Brussels, we were asked to leave to make room for a wedding party arriving for a pre-wedding reception on the terrace. Again, unacceptable service! What would have been appropriate in this instance is that the staff apologize for the inconvenience, and offer to buy us a drink at the bar inside or at the pool bar.
Upon arriving back at the hotel from dinner off the property that evening, we returned to our room at 11 pm and were greeted by the noise of the very loud band/dj coming from the salons below. We know that European weddings, unlike those in America, do go on till all hours of the night. And that's perfectly ok if you're attending the wedding. Unfortunately, for those of us who weren't invited to this soiree, it's a little hard to sleep with a rock band in your room. At about 12:30 am, we placed a call to our "Butler" to ask if the music could be lowered. I said that this is a 5-star resort (with lots of children as guests) and isn't a hotel in Cancun filled with teenagers during spring break. He said he couldn't help us with our request to lower the music. At 3:00 am, still wide awake, with the music still pounding away, my husband and I just looked at each other and laughed.
The next morning, after about 4 hours of sleep, we approached the concierge and asked to speak with the General Manager of the property. She said he was indeed present and asked if we wanted to make an appointment to see him. I told her that we were going to the pool and she could come and find us when he was available to meet us. About an hour later she came by and said that the Assistant to the General Manager, Daniella, would meet with us. "What time did we want to make our 'appointment?'," she asked. In order not to take away from my time at the pool, we decided to meet Daniella at 4:30 pm. Upon meeting Daniella in the bar off the lobby, she apologized for us being kept awake all night. Yet after about 15 minutes of ridiculously jockeying back and forth and making small-talk, she said, "Well when you come back here again, please don't hesitate to call me if there's anything I can do for you". Really??? That's it? I said, "So what are you going to do for us now?" "Oh, well I have to talk to the GM about that". Right. So that's exactly whom I wanted to speak with in the first place. Why did we need her to be the gatekeeper? Unacceptable! A day later she found us at the pool to tell us that she'd like to offer us a complimentary full-body massage each.
OK, so here's the scenario I think should have played out: We shouldn't have had to approach the concierge to complain about the noise the night before. The midnight call to the butler should have been noted by him and passed onto the morning staff. At breakfast the next morning, someone from the staff should have come to us to say, "Mr and Mrs X, we're so very sorry that you were inconvenienced last night. Because you didn't sleep and must be very tired, why don't you relax at the pool today? We would love to buy you lunch and drinks. The afternoon is on us! We are so sorry that you were disturbed." THAT's 5-STAR SERVICE. The run-around we were given was absurd, and is not in keeping with any 5-star hotel where we've ever been guests. Also, please don't tell me that the check-in gal didn't know that a noisy wedding would be taking place when she put us in that room. And if she truly wasn't aware, then shame on her for not knowing details about the property. And again, not 5-star service.
The spa experience was also very weird. We were made to wait in the lobby of the spa in our street clothes. About a minute before our scheduled complimentary massage appointments, the receptionist suddenly looked at us and asked if we had been to the lockers yet. No, we had not even been offered water. So now it was a race to the locker rooms to change and rush back up to the lobby to meet our massage therapists. Was totally unimpressed by the spa (have been to much much nicer and better equipped spas...and I can name them on 2 hands).
Now for the positives: Beautiful, manicured property. Very good food and drinks...especially at the lovely pool. They don't skimp on the alcohol in the cocktails. Well appointed rooms. The daytime butler is attentive to your needs (extra clothes hangers, coffee in the morning).

All in all, I think service here can be more personalized. If this was a Marriott, I would say it was an exceptional hotel. The problem is that it's not a Marriott; it's The St. Regis. And The St. Regis Mardavall is supposed to be a 5-star hotel. Only it's NOT.

Room Tip: Goes without saying that upper floors have better views. Rooms in main building overlooking the ter...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Jayne T
Danielle v, Manager at The St. Regis Mardavall Mallorca Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 23 September 2013

Dear guests,
Thank you for your stay and thank you for having taken the time to share your comments with us! You were so kind to tell me about the noise of a wedding party we had in the hotel during your stay, for which we apologised and after having discussed the issue with the Hotel Manager we decided to invite you for a relaxing full body massage.
Unfortunately it is now, after having read your comments,that I first realise that apart from the noise, your overall experience of our services was not up to your expectation. I am very sorry for that and I can assure you that I have already discussed the issues with the management team to take corrective measures.
Should you plan to return to our beautiful island please do not hesitate to inform me of your next reservation giving me the opportunity to make your stay more pleasurable.
Kind regards,

Reviewed 8 September 2013 via mobile

The rooms are lovely, beds super comfortable. They are quiet except for when the sprinklers come on early morning.
The restaurant (aqua) was excellent for dinner, less good for breakfast. Service was great except that we had to 'remind' them every evening that our kids ate free (smurfs family package). This was a bit tiresome but they did always take it off the bill.

The tiny beach is too rocky for kids to use and the path down is covered in and stinks of dog poo. There is a pier to jump in from. On the plus side the pools and grounds are lovely.
There are lots of sea views, but the bay is a little dull in comparison to the west coast. The surrounding areas (outside the hotel gates) are very unappealing.

Kids club was good and we always felt the kids were secure and having fun.

Most of the clientele are English or German. Everyone has a blackberry and an iPad.

Reception staff and management were lovely and very professional.

Everything in the hotel from room rates to food prices (buffet 65 euro?) to mini bar prices (small water 6 euro), is too expensive in my opinion, but you can decide that for yourself before booking I guess.

• Stayed: August 2013
2  Thank QQuietroomfan
Danielle v, Acting Hotel Manager at The St. Regis Mardavall Mallorca Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 9 September 2013

Good afternoon to London,
I appreciate that you took the time to post your comments regarding your recent stay with us and would like to thank you for this!
Please accept my apologies for the daily issue with the bill for your childrens' dinner, I already discussed this matter with the corresponding head of department in order to avoid similar mistakes in the future.
We would all be very pleased to see you again!
Warm regards from Majorca,

Reviewed 8 September 2013 via mobile

We stayed for mini break and would have loved to stay longer. Excellent, personal service tailored to our needs. Superb choice of dining poolside and in the garden. We can't wait to go back next year. The hotel is very close to a marina offering a great choice of bars and restaurants

• Stayed: September 2013

Dear guests,
It is a pleasurte to know that you enjoyed your stay and you can't wait to come back next year! We look forward to welcoming you again and wish you all the best!
Thank you for your nice comments.
Kindest regards,

#1 of 15 in Canyamel
Gran Melia Victoria
Gran Melia Victoria
#15 of 74 in Palma de Mallorca

Been to The St. Regis Mardavall Mallorca Resort? Share your experiences!