“Lovely trip but oh so short”
Review of Gabarres De Beynac

Gabarres De Beynac
Reviewed 12 June 2014

I would agree with the other reviews that this trip was rather short but for all that we were fortunate that our French guide spoke fluent English. There were a number of both French/American/Italian and British on our boat. We had laminated guide sheets that were 4 pages long and gave a lot of historical detail about the barges on the river in the past and the various castles with the strategic importance. The guide gave varying amounts of commentary in both French and English although the English sections were short. The day was very hot so the cooling breezes were welcome. The trip did go by fairly quickly, but we did know the trip was only an hours round trip, there is only so much you can do in the time, especially as the barge was limited how far up the river it could go due to rapids in the next section and to enjoy the scenery it is better to be slow. Several large chateaux were pointed out and extra info given about them.
It was a lovely way to while away an hour and the cost was reasonable.

Reviewed 11 June 2014

I tend to agree with other reviewers in that although the boat was relaxing and pleasant enough, Castelnaud was a few hundred yards away when we turned around so we didn't really see much except for the wonderful views of Beynac. It was French commentary only, with an English leaflet handed to us and an ocassional lapse into English when he noticed us pointing at something. It was a hot June day so it was nice to be on the river.

Reviewed 2 October 2013

Having been on the gabarre from La Roque Gageac this was an obvious one to try too. We enjoyed the trip, but as others have commented, it does not go very far, at times travelling at snail's pace or stopping altogether. Having said that, some lovely views, and the commentary in French was excellent.

Reviewed 26 August 2013

Good interesting boat trip, great views of Beynac...been here before so possibly not as blown away as I should be but if it's your 1st visit...awesome! Although the trip is about 50 minutes duration, its only 20 minutes each way with a ten minute stop and you're left with the impression you haven't travelled far enough. Totally agree with Jason V about the pretty sad A4 sheet in English whilst the French commentary is much more In depth...I presume?!! Whilst I agree with Jason that when in France why should they speak English...Guides in English attractions are far worse at "any" language. But in this region of France there are many English tourists (and Dutch & German where English is the common major language). There are similar Gabbarres running on the Dordogne from Roque-Gageac where they use earphones with a taped commentary in English...Just an idea!

Reviewed 20 June 2013

I suppose I really set myself up for disappointment because I had imagined in my head that this would be so much more than it was. The boat was lovely and we had the perfect weather, but we no sooner left Beynac behind then we were turning around and heading back for port. What a tease! The ride does not go as far as the castle and so the views are really from a distance. Next trip to the Dordogne I will try Gabares Norbert out of Roque Gageac, and see if there boat ride is any different. It was pleasant nonetheless.

1  Thank Amy M