Stayed as the 2nd week of a 2 week break in the south of France in May'12.
Having paid so little for the week (250 Euros) myself and my wife were a little unsure of how good the place would be but we had nothing to worry about at all, as it is really very good.
The development is the nicest (from what we could see) of numerous lake side accommodations ranging from camping to static's to apartments and cottages, and was a very pleasant place to stay.
When we arrived we were allocated a 2 bed 2nd floor apartment, having booked a 1 bedroom. To be honest i couldn't see any 1 bed apartments, and i think perhaps they only book them as one beds so as to appear on more searches, although i cant confirm this.
The apartment was very spacious having a large double room and a room with bunk beds. Lots of storage is available, and the balcony is massive. There is a hob, and microwave with grill, kettle, toaster and coffee maker, and a dishwasher which we didn't use. There is no oven, but its more than adequate to be going on with. I would say that there could have been a better selection of utensils, but that's just being picky!
There is a TV with a digibox, but there isnt much other than BBC world in English. If you are so inclined you can plug stuff into the TV. Wifi was 15 Euros for the week and pretty decent, or i think it might be free in the bar area. The bar is quite nice, as is the pool. The later being a lagoon type with a shallow bit for kids.
Now to the area, the lake beach is literally a stones throw from the back (secure) gate of the complex, and i am sure if you have kids it would be excellent. We however went to Biscarosse beach mostly which is about 15 miles away, so 20 minutes in the car or just over an hour on your bike. As an aside ladies, the beaches at Biscarosse and Mimizan are topless if you are so inclined.
If you cycle the area is great for this, there are cycle paths all over the region, basically you have about 1.2k down a very quite road to the start of the nearest off road path in Parentis and then you can go all day with pretty much no need to go on a road or up much of a hill. The ride to Mimizan is very pleasent and is a nice way to spend a day. Its about 45 miles round trip, but dead flat and very easy. Bikes are 7 euros a day to hire or i think 45 a week, but we took our own.
For a day out i would suggest the Dune at Pilat which is an easy 40 mins away in the car, but be prepared for a slog back over it if you go down to the beach, not for the faint hearted!
Parentis is about 1.5k to walk to and is very easy to get to, on Thursdays there is a massive market if that tickles your fancy, also there is a Super U and an intermarche, plus lots of little shops, bars, restaurants for all tastes and prices. if you want a bigger shop, there are plenty in Biscarosse.
The only negatives i can see is that there is zero night life off season when we went, literally none, but we were after a quite relaxing week, so wasn't too fussed, plus the weather was awesome (most days 25+) so the beach was the order of the day which pleased the wife no end! Also there is no AC so if you Dont like the heat at night, take a fan.
We will definitely be leaving it on the list of places to return to.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- In Aquitaine, the Landes area's "Cote d'Argent" (Silver Coast) is well known for its pine forests rich in fauna and flora, the largest forested area in Europe offering a welcome lungful of fresh air for nature lovers. Its fine sandy beaches are bathed by the Atlantic Ocean. A powerful, invigorating ocean which has shaped the life and character of the people of the Landes, providing huge open areas perfect for open-air activities including surfing, sailing, kiting, mountain biking and walking In a rural environment sandwiched between the ocean and the forests, its many lakes offer a peaceful rural setting with countless spots perfect for fishing or bathing safely and securely Located midway between the major vineyards of Bordeaux and the Basque country, Parentis en Born is a great starting point for all kinds of trips and adventures or for discovering the many golf courses in the Aquitaine region. In this outstanding natural environment, the "Cottages du Lac" holiday apartment complex with its three-star tourism holiday apartment rating is comprised of detached homes and apartments looking out onto the Biscarrosse-Parentis lake in the heart of the Landes forest. The holiday cottages and apartments blend in perfectly with the landscape and provide amazing views over the surrounding natural environment. They are the perfect place to enjoy a peaceful and relaxing stay as a family. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Odigeo, Agoda, Traveltool, S.L.U., Priceline and Evoline ltd so you can book your Les Cottages du Lac reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Les Cottages Du Lac Hotel Parentis-En-Born
- Les Hotel Du Lac
- Les Cottages Du Lac France/Parentis-En-Born, Aquitaine