“Classic chateau, convenient to Vougeot wine tasting, relaxing for families, avoid the restaurant”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Chateau de Gilly

Chateau de Gilly
kc
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 November 2013

Yes, the grounds and pool are beautiful. It was a breath of fresh air from the July heat of Paris. It was convenient to Burgundian wine tasting, and the must see Chateau de Clos Vougeot (don't miss visiting this!) The rooms and bathrooms were dated which decreased the of the value of our stay ( this all depends on your room rate). Despite several phone calls and emails ahead of time, our room configuration was not correct upon arrival. We had 5 rooms reserved, 2 of which needed 2 separate beds on the same floor with a full bed (parents and children, 2 person per room max). The staff did their best to accommodate us, but we ended up quite a ways away from our teenage children. The front desk staff was pleasant, but spoke limited English. The "bar tender" was a high strung, nervous man. We wanted to enjoy a drink before dining in the bar room (I loved this room! Quintessential castle!) but were not made to feel very welcome. The breakfast was 25 euros per person, which really is a waste if you are not a big breakfast eater. The staff was nice enough to serve us 5 euro espresso and café au lait on the terrace. One evening the 11 of us dined in the restaurant which was supposed to be so good...Not good and $$$$$. Another evening we dined at "le Chef Coq" at the "La Gentilhommeire" hotel which was just down the road. This is where we will stay next time. One other comment is that we were in Burgundy to taste wine. If I had not had my own connections, it would have been very difficult to have the experience I had. The hotel does give some coupons out for wine tasting, but not for the ideal venues.

Room Tip: WE were on the 2nd floor above the reception which was fine. The view toward the pool and topiary w...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank kpenning

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Santiago
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 October 2013

I went to the Chateu de Gilly, and my last day, I awaked early to take my last breakfast. I cut a piece of bread, and when I was eating it, I started to feel bood in my mouth. It was a piece of glass that made me a damagge. It can be possible, that in a bread, will be glass inside it.
I dont think , knowing, europeans standars, it can be happen. I talked with the manager and she sayed, that was the first time. I dont think,thats right. For a present she gave me a dijonn mustard. I think it was a very special present in this moment. i DONT THINK AN EUROPEAN PEOPLE WILL ACCEPT THIS. NEVER I WILL COME AGAIN! NOBODY HELP ME TO RESOLVE THIS PROBLEM. ALSO I FOUNDED SPARKLES IN THE ROOM.

Room Tip: Really people in this chateau dont care with the visitor, . I lived it. Nobody help me. THe only per...
4 Thank pattySantiago
Chateaux_hotels_gef, Directeur général at Chateau de Gilly, responded to this review, 15 October 2013
Dear Madam,

I'm sorry about what happened during your stay and I reiterate again my apologies.
And as we have said, this is the first time.

For your information
Upon 6h45-7am the employee personally called me to inform me of this incident.

The reception phoned several doctors who could not move in the minute (most doctors in France require that customers come into their offices, and at this time they were all closed).

When you were in the breakfast room, and perharps you have not seen or heard that we make effort to find a solution to your concern : We called the emergency service in France (15) .
The doctor on duty informed us that unfortunately, there was nothing to do, just wait, tongue bleeding a lot , which is very impressive, and this for anyone , foreign or French people.

On the breakfast room, the waitresse give you some ice to put on your face.

When someone is suffering, whether foreign or French people, they are all treated exactly the same. We are here to help people…

We've sent an email to you for asking news about this incident, and you have offered your accommodation.
Yours sincerely.

Rémy BESOZZI - General manager
Thezan des Corbieres
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 September 2013

The hotel was everything it promised to be. Beautiful surroundings and our room looked out on to the gardens. The room was excellent and comfortable. The hotel staff could not have been more helpful. The breakfast was very good and a wide choice of things were on offer. The rating of 'Very Good' applies only to the hotel side the restaurant is another matter. The restaurant room is very impressive with vaulted ceilings but there it ends. The restaurant is described as 'gastronomic' it isn't. By serving cheese and wine from the area does not make a restaurant gastronomic. The food was cooked well but unexciting. We ordered two drinks to start and we were surprised to see the waiter walking across the courtyard to fetch them from the bar in the hotel part.. what do they do if it rains??? Could they not keep a separate bar store in the restaurant? For what we paid for the wine and the meal we felt it was very, very overpriced. Sadly for Chateau de Gilly we dined at the nearby restaurant just across the roundabout the next night and had a fabulous meal and so I would advise people to stay at the Chateau and dine eslewhere.

4 Thank Purr00h
carshalton surrey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 September 2013

Perhaps we were lucky going there slightly out of season but we found this was a truly peaceful place to stay.We had the only room with a small private balcony and the room was a high standard.We found all the staff friendly and could not be faulted.The prices in the restaurant are on the high side and the breakfast was not good value.They do a nice rose wine which is cheaper than others on the menu.We had a very peaceful time sitting by the pool which is secluded.

Room Tip: Ask for the room with the private balcony.
1 Thank carshalton
Wilmette, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 September 2013

This old beautiful hotel located in the charming village of Gilly is a gem. Gorgeous gardens with contemporary sculptures, fantastic large rooms with spectacular views, delicious breakfasts, secluded pool and peaceful common areas. We have stayed three times and can't wait until we can visit again.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank diane w
Kent, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 August 2013

The reviews on Chateau Gilly are very mixed, but the clue is in its name. It's an old chateau, and it doesn't hide it, but in our view makes the most of its heritage, yet it does have aspects it could fix up.
The good : Beautiful setting. Fantastic, imposing communal rooms. Vast majority of staff are friendly and helpful. Bedrooms are ... appropriate for a 500 year old chateau. They haven't tried to over modernise and yes a bit tired but perfectly good.
The not so good : The restaurant is in a great catacomb like basement, but it is overpriced, stuffy and surly staff. If you are a vegetarian, take your own main course !
The pool area needs sorting : Loose paving stones. Weeds and hedges overgrown. Unloved.

What gets me .... these are all comments made by several previous reviewers and it appears, not fixed !! Not that hard for the hotel to do something about this.

Room Tip: Join Small luxury hotels club (for free) and you get a free upgrade
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Charles279
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 August 2013

This beautiful and luxurious hotel in Burgundy was the best hotel experience we had in France. The gardens were well maintained and peppered with contemporary sculptures displayed within artfully groomed gardens. There is a lovely pool, and our two rooms - we had two suites - were spectacular. The staff at the hotel were all very professional and also helpful. Everyone spoke english, even though we used our French. The cuisine was superb, beautifully presented, and quite dear, but well worth it. If you want to spend some money and stay in a palace where you will feel like royalty, this is surely the place!

Room Tip: Although there were young children at this hotel, it really isn't appropriate for anyone under 1...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gilly-les-Citeaux
Le Richebourg
#2 of 2 in Gilly-les-Citeaux
Hotel Chateau de la Berchere
Hotel Chateau de la Berchere
#7 of 9 in Nuits-Saint-Georges

Been to Chateau de Gilly? Share your experiences!