“If I could give it 6, I would!”

Casa Grande do Bachao
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Fecha
London, United Kingdom
“If I could give it 6, I would!”
Reviewed 13 November 2012

Fantastic place about a 10 minute drive from Santiago. It's set in rolling, forested hills and has the most peaceful atmosphere I've ever encountered!
Lovely lounge, terrace etc. Dinner's very good too...no choice, the chef just gives you whatever he's felt like making!...it all adds to the charm of the place though.
I shall definitely be going back.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank londonbloke88

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
  • Finnish first
London
Reviewed 8 October 2012

I recently spent two nights at this fantastic place, and could have stayed for ever. It is a wonderfully relaxing place, set in a pine and eucalyptus forest- the air is amazingly bracing. The casa is beautiful and the rooms are lovely, it made a change to stay somewhere that is tastefully decorated in a nicely comfortable low-key way. The staff are very friendly and welcoming and the food is marvelous, as is the wine. I recommend the dinner - the cook decides what to make, and it is well worth it. It was a highly restorative visit, and I cannot recommend it enough to those seeking to relax, eat well and sleep soundly. It was very difficult to leave, and I am already planning another visit. Excellent value!

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
Stockport, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 October 2012

We spent 3 nights at Casa and I was in nearly in tears at the thought of leaving. The setting is idyllic and the building is gorgeous. Our room was a very good size and the bathroom one of the biggest I've seen in a hotel. We had the breakfast buffet 1 morning and the selection was great and well worth eur8. We also stayed for dinner on 2 nights, they normally alternate meat and fish but after I told them I only eat fish they made me a special meal on meat night. Dinner was very reasonably priced at eur18 for 3 courses, the food couldn't be faulted and the accompanying wine was also good value. There are several public rooms including a games room with honesty bar and a library with comfy sofas and mood lighting which we made use of after dinner each night. We are already planning our next trip and intend to explore the surrounding countryside hopefully accompanied by the very friendly house dogs.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
scotland
Reviewed 7 March 2012

We will always remember this delightfully, atmospheric 'casa'! My husband and I spent two nights here and we wish we could have stayed longer. The welcome was friendly and the staff speak a little English which helped, as our Spanish is rather limited. Our bedroom was warm and comfortable, the public rooms are beautiful and the food is memorable. It is in a beautiful situation with lovely grounds and there are good walks to be taken from the door of the 'casa' without taking out the car. We look forward to returning some day.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank twitcher36
Reviewed 29 July 2011

2nd time my husband and I have stayed here, the first time was three years ago....we actually had our wedding here. This time around we visited for three nights with our 11 month old child. Sevice and staff cant be faulted, and the food....worth every cent you spend on it. Would have to be the highlight of our spanish holidays.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank rachnrodnjacob
Milan, Italy
Reviewed 28 August 2010

Casa Grande do Bachao was one of the most valuable experience we had in Spain: the amazing location, in the middle of the countryside - just 15 minutes from the cener of Santiago de Compostela, the perfect and warm service, the delicious meal and the unrivalled view from the dining room at sunset did make a great difference. The responsible person is very fluient in English and extremely kind and supportive. Definitely a must to go!

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
New York City
Reviewed 26 May 2009

The hotel is well off the beaten path. In fact, in conversation with another guest, we both had to thank the gas station attendant 4 km down the road, who ably guided us to the turnoff that we would have otherwise missed. The local road numbers don't seem to conform to my Michelin map, and my GPS was stumped trying to find this place. It is at the end of a twisting mainly one-lane road, well into a forest. Talk about seclusion! I still don’t know if I could find the correct road leading from town on a map.

We stayed two nights early in May, and had a lovely time here. I chose the hotel based on other reviews, and those reviews fairly reflected our stay. The rooms are pleasant, but not overly luxurious. The bathroom is fine, good shower, no complaints. The common rooms are wonderful, and would be particularly welcome in colder weather; in nicer weather, who wants to stay indoors? The beds were typical of what we found in Spain: hard. Some might say firm, but I call them hard. I prefer more give than a carpeted floor to sleep on, and found virtually every bed I slept on hard. There is a swimming pool, sauna and small gym on the property, plus a river down a winding path providing fishing opportunities. Staff is warm and welcoming, and a bit of familiarity with Spanish is helpful but not obligatory to make sure all sides understand each other.

One of the great pluses of our stay was the chance to have dinner in their beautiful dining room. We had a wonderful three course meal the first night (wine extra). The second night, after a full day in Santiago, I had no desire to travel the 25 mins back into town to find parking and a restaurant. My wife asked if we weren’t foolish to verify the price of the meal, since we had neglected to inquire on that the first night. At that point, I didn’t really care. Again, we had a lovely meal. When the bill came the next morning, I was beside myself. The cost of the dinners? Fifteen euros per person. For that price and quality, I would dine there every night and be thrilled to do so. The breakfast was a reasonable 8 or so euros, but we just had coffee in the morning.

One negative was the sound-proofing in the rooms. We had the ill fortune to be situated next to an infant who insisted on exercising her lungs until midnight; it was as if the child was in the room with us. The other guest we spoke to said the same thing about sound. Another issue I had was air circulation. I prefer cooler air to sleep at night, but the early spring air during our stay was hardly cool enough to satisfy, and there is no air conditioning. Lastly, this is not the most convenient place from which to visit Santiago. If you want to step out of your hotel and into the thick of town, look elsewhere. If, on the other hand, a relaxing respite from the city in beautiful surroundings with a wonderful meal to finish the day sounds good, then this is your place.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank RobertnNYC
Also consider these accommodations in or near Fecha
Altair Hotel
Altair Hotel
#3 of 74 in Santiago de Compostela
Hotel Spa Relais & Chateaux A Quinta da Auga
Hotel Spa Relais & Chateaux A Qu...
#2 of 74 in Santiago de Compostela
Parador Hostal Dos Reis Catolicos
Parador Hostal Dos Reis Catolico...
#6 of 74 in Santiago de Compostela
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,602 reviews
San Francisco Hotel Monumento
San Francisco Hotel Monumento
#5 of 74 in Santiago de Compostela
NH Collection Santiago de Compostela
NH Collection Santiago de Compos...
#4 of 74 in Santiago de Compostela
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,379 reviews
AC Palacio del Carmen, Autograph Collection
AC Palacio del Carmen, Autograph...
#8 of 74 in Santiago de Compostela

Been to Casa Grande do Bachao? Share your experiences!