“Wonderful hotel for a little bit of extra money. ”

Hotel Amazing Nyaung Shwe
Ranked #15 of 41 Hotels in Nyaungshwe
Reviewed 14 August 2014 via mobile

We went to this hotel for 2 days, one of it I was sick so I have been very happy to have chosen this place.
We spent 25$ per person per night for 2 double rooms. The best money we have spent in Myanmar!
The staff is extremely friendly and helpful. As soon as arrived they welcome you with some hot towels and they gave us some candies.
The rooms and their toilets are beautiful, spacious and clean.
The room service is good, every evening they come to prepare your bed and leave some biscuits next to it.
WiFi could be better but in the whole Myanmar is quite hard to find a good one.
Breakfast is awesome.
The best I had during my whole trip in Burma.
They also have a nice restaurant there, very nice with several cousines like Thai, Chinese, Myanmar, Italian and Western. It is a bit more expensive compared to the other Burmese restaurant but the service and the place make obviously the price higher.
Would I go again there? Yes without any doubt!

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Attilano

Reviewed 3 August 2014

This hotel is well located in the town, about 10 minute walk from the boat launching wharf. The rooms are western standard, clean and well equipped as per a very good 3 star western hotel. The restaurant is good but the wifi is erratic. The reception is attentive. there is a great locally oriented seafood restaurant nearby- fairly a basic but great food.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 2 August 2014 via mobile

We arrived by bus from Yangon in the early morning. While waiting for the room in this local top end hôtel,the management was not able to offer a refreshment, so we had to pay for it ( 2$ for a café it is 4 times the price of la maison birmane). The room is nice but extremely noisy. You hear your neighbours laughing, walking .... The walls and the roof are not soundproof. The bathroom was dark without windows and not so clean ( see pictures). The fridge was at room temperature, the safe was disfunctionnal, the matterass was dirty and blankets too ( see picture). When paying in US dollars be careful that they are freshly printed!!! Otherwise they will not be accepted.
The reception clerk is as cold as a siberian winter, contrasting with the friendlyness of the other staff.
After a long négociation the executive hôtel manager accept a 20% discount for the inconveniances.
Even at the low season rate of 82$/night the hôtel feels overpriced. The quality of service and the cleanliness do not match their ambition. We changed hôtel for the very excellent " la maison birmane".

Stayed: August 2014
1  Thank Giuseppe D
Reviewed 14 July 2014 via mobile

It was simply the best hotel we stayed in during our Burma trip (Yangon, Bagan and Inle) even though Bagan is my favorite city.

The room is big, comfy with nice exotic interior design. Hotel atmosphere is nice. But the biggest "Thumbs up" goes to the service of this hotel. Staff was very kind and helpful. We asked info about a bus ticket back to Yangon the next evening but didn't decide to book it, in the evening after dinner we found out the the staff already booked us a ticket! We felt very bad because we already got a ticket (for cheaper price) at a travel agancy. Gave her a big apologize but she insist that there's no problem and she could refund it.

Other than that we got a plate of fresh fruits as a welcome treat and in the evening after our trip in Inle there was also a small dish of cookies in the room. The next morning before checking out we had a bit trouble with the warm water, staff tried to fix it for us, an hour later after realizing that it's still not working they offered us another room with working warm water to shower.Impressive.

The only downside of the hotel is a bunch of mosquitos in the room, which I guess the hotel is aware of this problem since there's an electro thingy to take care of that provided in our guest room.

Still, recommended place to stay in Inle.

Stayed: July 2014
2  Thank TheJii
Reviewed 11 April 2014 via mobile

Based on service alone I'd rate this hotel a 5. But I had to take a point off for the wifi - we found it frustratingly slow. Under normal circumstances this wouldn't have been too much of a problem (who goes to Myanmar to use wifi right?) but my partner had a cold for much of our stay here so was stuck in the hotel room with not much to do except watch cheesy pop music videos.
If you do get desperate the golden kite restaurant around the corner had extremely good wifi.

Aside from poor wifi other points of note:
-all staff were absolutely wonderful.
-service was flawless.
-room was spotless clean,
-the bathroom was a tad dated, but still clean.
-air con was very effective.
-beds a bit too firm.
-very noisy location, but noise reduced substantially after 10pm.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank 255100Kylie
Reviewed 17 March 2014

Amazing hotel Nyaung Shwe is about 18 miles from the Heho Airport, but we drove through the mountainside therefore it took a little longer than thirty minutes. However, we enjoyed taking photos of the beautiful scenery along the mountain. The hotel location was perfect, within walking distance whether going to town or down to the lake and nearby restaurants. One of our best was Thanaka restaurant which was only two minutes walk. The Amazing of Nyaung Shwe is a two stories building totaling 16 rooms, overlooking a man made lake, to its right is a large monastery. At first, it appeared a little noisy since we just left a very quiet hotel in Yangon (Classique Inn- outer skirt of downtown ); however, once we were in our room ( we got two room upstairs), we could not hear the noise any longer. If we really tried to listen, we may hear the sound of the rocking horse steps. Yes, in this ancient town, people are still transporting via horse carriages. It's really neat!
I love everything about the Amazing hotel in Nyaung Shwe. Most staff was very kind, except for one lady at the information desk. She was okay, but seemed a little abrupt with us. We noticed she was all nice and smiling with another guests, but then when we came to ask question about signing up for our next day boat tour to Inlay Lake, she changed her attitude quickly and appeared to be much less enthusiasm and seemed a little mean and giving us her cold shoulder type of attitude! We went through with her, but then the next day we decided not to deal with her directly. We had a very good boat tour guide, and we hired him again for our second day boat trip. My favorite time was spent at the Thuka Spa. If you stay at least five nights like we did, the hotel offers one 60 minutes complimentary Thai spa massage, which I enjoyed so much and signed up for two more: herbal oil and Asian aromatic massages during our stay, got 10% in house guest discount. Love it!
I did not pay for the hotel stay, it was taken care of by my sister and her husband. I do know it was on the high side for Myanmar, as expensive as Sheraton, Marriott or hotel Sofitel here in the US. So you can expect their cuisine must be superb! And it was. Staff was dressed in beautiful Myanmar uniform, housekeeping did their daily routines "turning you down for bed time" with a small cake basket or cookies treats and opened the bed blanket for us. Laundry service was also excellent, reasonable and quick. They picked up our dirty clothes (from the laundry bag) and returned to us nicely ironed, folded neatly inside a plastic bag for each item, the same evening.
In Inle lake, the market comes around every five days. We were lucky enough that the market was in Nyaung Shwe on the day before we left. People from the mountain and many other villages all came together bringing their goods for sell. One thing, you must bargain while shopping here, usually you can offer 1/3 of the original asking price. We were lucky to have one hotel staff came along to the market with us, so we know we did not pay overpriced.
If your destination is Inle Lake or Nyaung Shwe, give Amazing of Nyaung Shwe a try. You will enjoy a pleasant stay. We sure did!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Lila V
Reviewed 12 March 2014

I completely get why the Hotel Amazing Nyaung Shwe (HA-NS) has gotten some mixed reviews and to be honest I feel the same way about the HA-NS as well. Nyaungshwe is the stopping off point for most tourists/travelers going to Inle Lake and it has a “wild west” feel about it with dust, exhaust fumes, and careening traffic from buses, taxis, vans, mopeds, funky-exposed-engine tractors and of course horse drawn carriages. I found it to be a surprisingly unpleasant place despite it being a bananna pancake terminus (and I love pancake breakfast) and I am very tolerant of other cultures.

What you discover when you visit Inle Lake is that you have two choices. You can stay at resort on the lake itself, a quiet Shangri-La on stilts, but feel trapped in your paradise and beholden to the staff for all your provisions (like meal and transportation, etc) or you can slug it out in Nyaung Shwe in the middle of an unpleasant bananna pancake industrial complex and make your own decisions about meals and activities.

If you are of the later variety, you will do well in HA-NS. Despite the pictures, it is actually surrounded by all the unpleasentries of NS, dust--traffic, stray dogs and rabid travel agents, etc.

I found the Hotel to be an imperfect oasis. Sound proofing in the rooms good be better but the rooms were ample. The beds were crazy firm but I suspect this was related to their use as massage tables in your room. The breakfast buffet was the best we had in Myanmar. The other meals we had in the hotel were decent and a reasonable value (until we found the Thanakha Garden directly north of the Hotel, next to the Paradise Hotel, take the rickety bridge across the stream).

The mixed reviews of the staff have an explanation as well. We stayed at the HA-NS for five nights and found the junior staff to be very sweet, good-natured and wonderful. They were very accomodating to my family and one of the staff directly helped my sister-in-law with a shopping activity in her spare time! My wife and I had a complimentary thai massage that was very good.

But the manager and senior receptionist were cold and less accomodating. In the case of the senior receptionist, she seemed to take an instant disliking to us and actually told us to take a hike into town to make our own activity arrangements rather than benefit her own hotel. (The next day, the junior staff performed this task for us admirably.) If your only encounter with the staff at the HA-NS would have been with her, you would have had a completely different opinion of the staff. It is for this reason, that I have to deduct a star from my rating.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family