“Surprisingly Good Meal” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #17 of 25 Restaurants in Porto
Price range: US$10 - US$20
Cuisines: Pizza
Good for: Kids, Cheap Eats, Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, Drinks, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Buffet, Free Wifi, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff
Frankfurt, Germany
“Surprisingly Good Meal”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 October 2011

The restaurant didn't rank so high on trip advisor, wasn't listed in our guide books, and didn't have many customers, but we decided to check it out anyway: we were pleasantly surprised! While I wouldn't say that their gazpacho was true gazpacho (but we were in France... I know...), it was delicious, as was my monkfish and bean dish. I wouldn't have typically paired a white fish with hearty beans, but I was glad that I tried it!

Visited October 2011

UK
“Nice variations of mussels & chips”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2010

What attracted us to this place was the range of mussel dishes, ranging from standard moule mariniere to an unusual Corsican version done with local hams. I think there were 12 versions in total, or perhaps even more.

The place was a rather large staid dining room that could have been designed by any French grandma. The view was quite nice and green and there were indeed a lot of elderly people in the place when we came for dinner. Service was fast and efficient and really quite pleasant as the waitress and kitchen both understood our need to be in a hurry due to the football World Cup commitments of my partner (I think France was playing that evening).

So our moules turned up in record time and it was immediately clear that the mussels were indeed pretty fresh and delicious, with hardly any closed shells. I tried the Corsican ham version and wished I didn't as the ham flavours did not blend at all well the shellfish but my partner's more conservative wine version was indeed excellent. The chips were chunky, Belgium-style (if I may say so about a French restaurant) and quite good, even if it is a simple staple. For some reason, we had the local beer, Pietra, to accompany the dinner and all I will say is that I am not a great fan of beer.

Overall, it was still a very good quick and inexpensive dinner and I will like to go back again and try the remaining 11 versions of mussels on their menu. This is a great value-for-money place, which I think is attested by the numbers of pensioners dining here.

• 5 of 5 bubbles